Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Is this a parody?
What part don't you get?

If someone only produces 50 widgets, and you can produce 100 widgets, do you mean they aren't going to notice that you're producing more widgets and possibly be a bit defensive about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 06:04 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
I have worked hard all my life, and in a variety of jobs/positions/fields.

When I have had a boss: I have never cared about:

1} whether someone has or has not more or less education than I.
2} whether they are older/younger/same age as I.
3} whether they are "daddy's child" taking over the joint or not
4} WHether I agree with their strategies or not
5} whether I get paid more/less/same as they do.
6} whether they do things "the way we used to" or not
7} whether they do things the way the other company I worked for did it or not..

ALL I care about is: they are my boss, it is my job to be subordinate, To follow their lead, but to offer helpfull {note: helpfull not "look down your nose at"} suggestions where necessary, and that I am valued, and that my suggestions, where appropriate, are listened to.
I have found it to work very well, and usually to my favor...

If you don't like working for/under someone, you can always go get a different job and hope it isn't as the song says:
" meet the new boss, same as the old boss...we'll get on our knees and pray, we won't get fooled again"...

Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
I don't think a degree makes you superior; however, it is an accomplishment. In addition to "getting a good job", a good education can be priceless in other areas of your life. I wouldn't have a problem working for someone with less formal education than myself, yet I wouldn't trade my education for a higher paying position with one employer. I do believe a degree gives you greater mobility and access to employment in today's world. Ultimately, my degrees, licensures, and qualifications have served me well--professionally and personally.
I very much agree with what you wrote.

I am very thankful for my degrees, and that I have an education.
I also wouldn't trade my education for a higher paying position with an employer.

I agree that my degree gives me greater mobility. My licenses do as well (and I worked hard for them too).

I think the fact that I do have degrees and am licensed, makes me less "wedded" to any particular employer.
I have a good job, and am thankful for it, but wouldn't be devastated if the job ended (for whatever reason).

My degrees are such that I could replace this job and income with relative ease at another employer if need be.

That gives me a level of self-confidence and power, and lack of desperation, that has served me well, I believe.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:05 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
While I have a degree and am good in my field, I have pretty lousy business sense. One of my favorite bosses wasn't degreed, but very savvy in marketing and customer service. It was a good business relationship for us both. Unfortunately for me, he retired and closed the business.

Another time I worked for someone who was not degreed and licensed in my field who directed me to do things that were unethical, if not downright harmful to people. That did not work at all.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:48 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Though my son is in college, I remind him often that a degree only proves one thing: That you can be a good student.

It does not prove that you can be a good employee, obtain success in business, effectively manage and/or influence people, practice common sense, or apply book knowledge to real life situations.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:23 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
It matters more in some fields than in others. My last "accounting manager" had no education and had to sit there one day and tell the VP that she couldn't answer the question because she doesn't understand debits and credits. I still can't believe I didn't die of laughter right then and there. What a joke.

This boss is one who told me shortly after I started that she doesn't put a lot of stock in people who have degrees because it doesn't mean they know more or are better at their job. She likes to keep around old employees who have retired and come back part-time, because none of them have degrees and they all sit around and reminisce about how they used to do things in the office. I don't miss that place.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:37 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
It matters more in some fields than in others. My last "accounting manager" had no education and had to sit there one day and tell the VP that she couldn't answer the question because she doesn't understand debits and credits. I still can't believe I didn't die of laughter right then and there. What a joke.
And my last coworker who showed up to do an accounting job with her degree in Finance said (no joke): "I'm not really into Excel."

She didn't last long on the job. Last I heard she was bartending. I'd like to say I'm laughing too, but years later, I'm still trying to find and fix all the problems she created.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
And my last coworker who showed up to do an accounting job with her degree in Finance said (no joke): "I'm not really into Excel."

She didn't last long on the job. Last I heard she was bartending. I'd like to say I'm laughing too, but years later, I'm still trying to find and fix all the problems she created.
this is why i majored in economics instead of finance. i'm not a fan of rules

BOOM

Old 03-13-2015, 01:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post

Yeah, that boss could barely do the basics in Excel. She is still there, though, making twenty grand more than I made, having made the decision to lay me off to save money in their budget. She did me a favor.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:01 AM

7 posts, read 6,985 times
Last year I was hiring for a mid level manager position, I have this kid fresh out of college and had only worked in the food industry. In the interview I ask "how was your last boss to work with?" he said "he was nice, but it was hard taking his lead because I knew he didn't go to college" haha if only he knew I didn't either!
The icing on the cake was a few months later I see him working at a super market prob making 10 bucks an hour. Good luck Mr. Entitled.
Oh and by the way I would have hired him if he was the best applicant, but I'm not convinced he could tie his own shoe laces. But hey he has a degree right !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment