Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:21 PM

31 posts, read 30,004 times

Advertisements

I work for a popular, upscale clothing company and recently I applied for a job in corporate (of the same company). I know I am a good employee and I have a good education. I feel that all my talents are not being used at the current level and I have "paid enough dues" to try to move up.

Well, apparently a lady from corporate (HR I presume) visited my current location and asked my boss about me (she did not visit for that sole purpose). My boss said that he told her that I was fairly new at the location. He didn't say what else he said and I didn't ask him because I didn't want to seem too concerned about it or look like I was eager to leave the current location. He did say to me that if I decide to apply for higher position in the company that I should tell him first because he might know someone near the sought after position and he would be able to help me out; put in a good word. Our company likes to hire from within.

First of all, as soon as he said this I didn't believe him. Wouldn't a hiring manager at another location have to contact him anyway if I were being considered for a job there? I mean, how much "help" would I need from him? My resume, job description and performance speaks for itself. I love the company. I love our product and I'm passionate about our reputation. This is something that I would convey in the interview. Also, I always give at least 2 weeks notice before I leave a position. I gave 2 months notice in my past administrative position and 16 days notice before I came to this location (and he knows this because I switched my schedule around because the previous location had let someone go and they needed my help).

Is my boss lying to me just to try to keep me at this location? Could he really be trying to sabotage my chances at advancing? What he said make no sense to me and seems sneaky. It put a "bad taste" in my mouth about him and I would like to respect him since he is my boss and he does a good job. Also, when he called me over to speak to him he said "hey, I have a bone to pick with you." He said it jokingly but he is a charismatic person anyway. He spoke to me when another supervisor was in ear-shot and before he started speaking he said "you're not in trouble or anything". I guess that's all the details I have to give about the situation. Feedback, especially from seasoned professionals, needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,674,382 times
And what if the hiring manager discounts you and never contacts him? Then what?

I think you're being paranoid. You don't mention how long you've been there, but I'm sure he feels at this point he didn't spent time hiring and training you, to lose you so quickly. You don't seem to have considered that, however.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,284,620 times
hmmm. I used to work for a popular upscale clothing/department store that liked to promote from within. And it was mandatory to get your current manager's approval if you were applying for a new internal job. It's actually considered important for managers to groom their employees to make them eligible for promotion, that is part of what they get rated on during their own performance reviews. Personally I think you screwed up and it's not only polite, it's politically expedient to let your current manager know you are looking to make an internal move. Obviously that's not the case if you were applying to positions outside the company.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:41 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,481,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think you're being paranoid. You don't mention how long you've been there, but I'm sure he feels at this point he didn't spent time hiring and training you, to lose you so quickly. You don't seem to have considered that, however.
That's not her problem. If she leaves, it would be her manager's problem, and he'll survive. Her priority is to look out for herself, not the company. And especially not a retail establishment.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,674,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
That's not her problem. If she leaves, it would be her manager's problem, and he'll survive. Her priority is to look out for herself, not the company. And especially not a retail establishment.

That's only true if she took a job outside the company. No company is going to allow for an internal transfer if the person hasn't put in some time.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And what if the hiring manager discounts you and never contacts him? Then what?

You don't seem to have considered that, however.
You're right, I had not considered that.
And I have 5 years experience with almost 1 year at this company. Not to sound arrogant, but I don't know how much more training I need. I will wait for evaluations to seriously think about that.

Last edited by chillout; 04-02-2015 at 08:04 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 PM

71 posts, read 82,308 times
How long have you been at your position and what is your relationship like with your boss?

What makes you think you are the only person uniquely qualified to do the job?

Even if you didn't inform your manager of your interest in an internal position, don't you think the other manager would reach
out for your current manager's feedback on your performance?

In my company there is a set protocol for internal intevriews/xfers, is there one in your company?

Old 04-02-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
This was my first thought. I've seen some pretty shady things happen in the business and that is what I think makes me feel like he is being shady as well. All I can do is try to stay in his good graces and continue to do well. If staying in his good graces means telling him if I apply for a higher position then I'll do that.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_lepew View Post
How long have you been at your position and what is your relationship like with your boss?

My relationship with my boss is good.

What makes you think you are the only person uniquely qualified to do the job?

I don't think that. I think that I'm qualified and should be considered.

Even if you didn't inform your manager of your interest in an internal position, don't you think the other manager would reach
out for your current manager's feedback on your performance?
Yep. I believe I mentioned that in my post.

In my company there is a set protocol for internal intevriews/xfers, is there one in your company?
That's a good question. Apparently there is if my boss says talk to him first...there must be specifics in place that I don't know about. I will find out what they are. Probably something I should have done first.
In the initial conversation I told him Sorry and that I didn't know I had to talk to him first. He knows it was a mistake and I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. I'm hopeful that he won't hold it against me.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,573,735 times
My bosses tell me if I want to be promoted, they'll work with me, might not be in the same field but it's a large organization so there's somewhere I could move up to. They want to know so they can work with me to get me trained for the new position. I'll be at my current spot for a year or so to finish the probation time and if I haven't started a family, I'll consider moving up but I enjoy my freedom right now. My old employer did the same for the supervisors/managers. They groomed them and help pay for their master's degree so when they finished the degree, they'll be ready for the new job.

They have nothing to gain from keeping you in your current spot really, if I feel I'm ready for a new job/responsibilities, I'll look for it either with them or elsewhere. They can't stop me from leaving, but they can work with me to keep me with them. This is what they want as well, I get on track/trained for new roles while in current job, then as I move on, I leave an opening for someone new to fill in old spot and they get someone they already trained to take the spot that someone left/retired from. It's better for them to promote upwards from people they've groomed than take a chance from the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment