Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,658,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillout View Post
You're right, I had not considered that.
And I have 5 years experience with almost 1 year at this company. Not to sound arrogant, but I don't know how much more training I need. I will wait for evaluations to seriously think about that.

I don't think it's a matter of training, but perhaps you should ask your manager or someone how much time people put in at the store level before they're considered for a job at the corporate level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 05:16 AM

285 posts, read 869,815 times
Quote:
I work for a popular, upscale clothing company and recently I applied for a job in corporate (of the same company). I know I am a good employee and I have a good education. I feel that all my talents are not being used at the current level and I have "paid enough dues" to try to move up.

Well, apparently a lady from corporate (HR I presume) visited my current location and asked my boss about me (she did not visit for that sole purpose). My boss said that he told her that I was fairly new at the location. He didn't say what else he said and I didn't ask him because I didn't want to seem too concerned about it or look like I was eager to leave the current location. He did say to me that if I decide to apply for higher position in the company that I should tell him first because he might know someone near the sought after position and he would be able to help me out; put in a good word. Our company likes to hire from within.

First of all, as soon as he said this I didn't believe him. Wouldn't a hiring manager at another location have to contact him anyway if I were being considered for a job there? I mean, how much "help" would I need from him? My resume, job description and performance speaks for itself. I love the company. I love our product and I'm passionate about our reputation. This is something that I would convey in the interview. Also, I always give at least 2 weeks notice before I leave a position. I gave 2 months notice in my past administrative position and 16 days notice before I came to this location (and he knows this because I switched my schedule around because the previous location had let someone go and they needed my help).

Is my boss lying to me just to try to keep me at this location? Could he really be trying to sabotage my chances at advancing? What he said make no sense to me and seems sneaky. It put a "bad taste" in my mouth about him and I would like to respect him since he is my boss and he does a good job. Also, when he called me over to speak to him he said "hey, I have a bone to pick with you." He said it jokingly but he is a charismatic person anyway. He spoke to me when another supervisor was in ear-shot and before he started speaking he said "you're not in trouble or anything". I guess that's all the details I have to give about the situation. Feedback, especially from seasoned professionals, needed.

I haven't read anything here that would make me think your boss is being unfair. Perhaps there is some detail I missed or you're worried because you don't want any trouble. Either way, I think that internal transfers are much better with the support of your current supervisor or manager. By his offering to help you out, I'm sure he's covering himself so he's not hit with surprises but also he could genuinely want to help. Your performance may speak for itself but he can add his input when asked. He could easily state that while you are good at your current job he doesn't think you're suited for the position to which you're applying. Or he could say you've been distracted because you want to leave or you get bored easily, etc. Or he could say something on a positive note. It's not like applying to an external position where you choose who gets to be your reference. Internally, they will always ask your supervisor for his or her opinion. Just giving my two cents regarding how your boss can "help" you even though you're already good at what you do and might meet other qualifications.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:34 AM

469 posts, read 638,238 times
It called Office Politics and you MUST play along to get ahead. This is nothing compared to the office politics you will be confronted with in a Corporate setting.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:40 AM

671 posts, read 903,014 times
What listed for qualifications on the job posting? Is it online?

Old 04-03-2015, 06:43 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,817,714 times
I wouldn’t have told my boss I applied either...unless I knew that there was some kind of standard protocol to do so. And I don’t know why your boss is upset about not knowing, or why he is surprised. Sounds like arrogance to me. Big man, big boss of a retail store. He has little real power and grabs at anything he can that will make him feel better about himself...in this case, it’s exercising power and control over you by first scolding you a little and then requiring you to tell him your business so he can “help” you. Unless it’s a strict company policy, he’s being a bit of a controlling jerk. Even if he does truly want to help you, he should not require you to accept his help, but that is exactly what he is doing. He wants to control where you go and what you do, and unfortunately he does have some control.

Sounds like you must play the game. I’m going to assume you’re a female and I think you said your boss is a male. Sometimes and for some, it makes men feel powerful to help women. Understand that he does have some control over you getting to where you want. Don’t be bitter or angry about it. Figure out how best to use him...he may want to feel powerful by giving you advice or whatever, so play to that and ask him questions if you feel it’ll be useful to your cause. It’ll feed his ego to give you advice. Allow him to feel the way he wants to feel so he will be more inclined to truly help you. And when you get what you want, move on and forget about him. That’s my opinion.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:58 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,287,157 times
Quote:
I work for a popular, upscale clothing company and recently I applied for a job in corporate (of the same company). I know I am a good employee and I have a good education. I feel that all my talents are not being used at the current level and I have "paid enough dues" to try to move up.

Well, apparently a lady from corporate (HR I presume) visited my current location and asked my boss about me (she did not visit for that sole purpose). My boss said that he told her that I was fairly new at the location. He didn't say what else he said and I didn't ask him because I didn't want to seem too concerned about it or look like I was eager to leave the current location. He did say to me that if I decide to apply for higher position in the company that I should tell him first because he might know someone near the sought after position and he would be able to help me out; put in a good word. Our company likes to hire from within.

First of all, as soon as he said this I didn't believe him. Wouldn't a hiring manager at another location have to contact him anyway if I were being considered for a job there? I mean, how much "help" would I need from him? My resume, job description and performance speaks for itself. I love the company. I love our product and I'm passionate about our reputation. This is something that I would convey in the interview. Also, I always give at least 2 weeks notice before I leave a position. I gave 2 months notice in my past administrative position and 16 days notice before I came to this location (and he knows this because I switched my schedule around because the previous location had let someone go and they needed my help).

Is my boss lying to me just to try to keep me at this location? Could he really be trying to sabotage my chances at advancing? What he said make no sense to me and seems sneaky. It put a "bad taste" in my mouth about him and I would like to respect him since he is my boss and he does a good job. Also, when he called me over to speak to him he said "hey, I have a bone to pick with you." He said it jokingly but he is a charismatic person anyway. He spoke to me when another supervisor was in ear-shot and before he started speaking he said "you're not in trouble or anything". I guess that's all the details I have to give about the situation. Feedback, especially from seasoned professionals, needed.

I find it odd that you don't know the procedures for internal transfers - especially considering that you are applying for a corporate position. If they like to hire from within, then there should be a procedure in place.

This is retail - I'm sure that they can find someone to replace you . Imagine that you are a supervisor and HR asks one of your employees about you out of the blue? How would you feel? He was probably caught off guard.

I have always told my supervisors after I applied for internal positions. They were extremely supportive. You know your boss better than any of us. Is he sneaky and underhanded about other things? In the year that you have been there, how many people have transferred out of the department?

Old 04-03-2015, 07:13 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,477,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I find it odd that you don't know the procedures for internal transfers -
Internal transfer policies, like most company policies, are organization-specific. Not sure why everyone is trying to make it seem like there's a universal rule for this.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,287,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Internal transfer policies, like most company policies, are organization-specific. Not sure why everyone is trying to make it seem like there's a universal rule for this.
When did I say there was a universal rule?????

My point was the OP should know if there is a policy or not and if there is, she should know what it is.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:34 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,758,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsasmallworld View Post
I haven't read anything here that would make me think your boss is being unfair. Perhaps there is some detail I missed or you're worried because you don't want any trouble.
Right? Good lord, what is wrong with some people? I get you want the job, but you ARE being paranoid.

"I didn't want to ask him what he said"

Why not? You could have just joked with him and said "and you told her I'm a rock star, and she'd be crazy not to hire me? Right?"

He said to tell him first.... so he could HELP YOU OUT??? And you think this is being sketchy??
I don't get it. That's EXACTLY the reaction I would HOPE to get from my manager in your position.
If he's a decent boss, and it sounds like he is to me, I'm sure he would be PROUD to know (and help) one of his hires that is moving up to corporate...

Old 04-03-2015, 08:02 AM

254 posts, read 459,958 times
Quite a few companies have policies where employees aren't allowed to apply for internal positions without manager approval. Its pretty basic...managing your professional development at the company is your managers job. Also if your manager has connections that can help you it would be foolish not to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment