Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,451,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadboy View Post
I wouldn't. There is no job on the planet that interests me. Even if I had a passion, having to work 40+ hours a week would destroy any passion I'd have for it. I enjoy doing "nothing." I am looking forward to retirement lol. I know there are some people who like work and their job is basically their identity. I don't think I'll ever be like that unfortunately.

Would you choose to work at your current job (state what it is) if you didn't have to?
Would you choose to work at your dream job (state what it is) if you didn't have to?
Myself and everyone I work for don't have to work. We love working. Sitting home rotting away is depressing. Go find a job you love. That way everyday is a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Retired now and enjoying that!

But, for 40+ years, like most people, found work (income) essential to raising a family and maintaining a comfortable lifestyle.

Although work was necessary, I concluded early-on that enjoying one's work was equally important. Why spend 40-60 hours per week doing something one dreads every day. I do not understand people who simply go through life 'hating their job' -- or thinking that the only alternative to working a job one 'hates' is NOT working at all. (Many people are long on education, but, short on motivation ... which keeps them trapped in dead-end jobs).

There are multiple paths to finding or creating the job you truly enjoy. In my case, I 'created' NEW jobs in about 3 companies (26-years with the last one) - by doing things that needed to be done, but, nobody else seemed to be doing ... in areas where I wanted to work (marketing/sales, business/strategic intelligence, etc). Doing this is not a matter of someone else 'allowing' one to do what they want, but, simply doing it ... while selling the value to the company.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
I think most or at least half of people would work even if they didn't have to.

It gives their life purpose. Since most people don't have a passion, working a day job provides goals and structure in their life. If I didn't have an artistic passion, and were independently wealthy, I'd still work. I couldn't imagine what I would do all day if I didn't.

Scooting around all day long seems awesome when you have a break from working, but I don't think most people could do it all day for years.

I do know a friend who has a wealthy husband and she does do that. She basically scoots around between cafes all day when she's at home and travels a lot.

My dad has been retired for 2 decades and a lot of the time he was bored out of his mind, he didn't have enough to do.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I've been unemployed since Sept 2014. I had a nice 40 hr job, easy desk work, with nice people. That 40 hour week was killing my soul though. If it's a nice day out and I want to go hiking I'm still chained to the desk. Got laid off when the work projects started to go away. I wasn't totally unhappy about it.

I have no debt, savings, and not many bills to pay (frugal). It's difficult to get motivated to find a job when I don't desperately need the money. I'm not bored at all. We have great hiking and biking around here.

I'm not lazy. I don't even watch TV at all. I put myself through college as a non-trad student, graduated in 2009 with a degree in geology. I had a lot of homework and field projects with this degree. I didn't have money to pay for school myself, but I applied for and got grants and scholarships that payed my way through school, and I worked p/t. I graduated with honors, and with no debt.

Is it still work if you don't get paid? Right now I'm working for no pay helping my geologist bf with a large mapping project, hiking around all day in rugged terrain. I'd rather do this for free than sit in an office all day for $12/hr!

I know a few other people around here that are unemployed mostly by choice. They live frugal and enjoy their free time all day.

I'll have to get a real job again someday. But no, I would not work for pay if I didn't have to. I like having my time to myself and living on my own schedule.

In the past couple of years some people I know died young and it reminds me that time is precious. How do I want to spend it? A job, even 40 hours a week, seems to take up 90% of my time. Evenings and weekends are not enough free time to really live a life.

I really think that most people wouldn't bother working a regular job if they didn't have to, but they load themselves up with expensive stuff that they have to make payments on and maintain and they are stuck in that cycle forever. If we could turn the tide on this then employers would have to make it worth our while to work for them.

Some people I talk to seem a bit envious that I'm not working right now even though they have a lot more money and stuff than I do. One friend of mine has a sweet job with a federal agency but she admitted to me that it is really golden handcuffs and she hates sitting at a computer all day and dreads doing this for the next 30 years.
Work part time in retail.

Working 20 hours a week is not going to kill your soul and deprive you of life. It might not provide you for enough to live though.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
Doubtful. I have plenty of hobbies, and there are always room for more.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:14 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I enjoy my job enough that I would like to continue to work part time, but only on the parts that I enjoy and get to farm the stuff I don't like out to someone else. Unlikely to happen in my particular circumstances, but if finances were a non-issue, I might look for something else part time, or find someone ongoing volunteer opportunity.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:21 AM

733 posts, read 853,956 times
No, I love work. I love the structure.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,864 times
Technically I don't "have to" work, but I do work, part-time, for my brother's business. I left my full-time job almost 2 years ago at age 43. I work from home and make my own schedule. My husband makes enough to support us, but I like to pay for my own cell phone, car insurance, gas, clothes, hair appointments, lunches/drinks with friends, etc. I also like having the chance to make a meaningful contribution to a small business. In addition, I volunteer for four organizations.

I worked full-time non-stop for 22 years and was single all that time, so I was supporting myself. I had quite a few jobs over the years. I eventually worked my way into a 6-figure job but wasn't happy, so I walked away from it 4 years ago. During my professional career I held a number of positions that looked great on paper, but I wasn't truly engaged with or passionate about any of my jobs, even those with organizations whose mission really resonated with me.

I rarely find myself bored these days. In addition to working and volunteering, I exercise almost daily, do all the cooking and shopping, spend lots of time with our dog, etc. Occasionally I think about going back to work full time, but I cannot imagine taking on all that stress when I am stress-free and happy now. I know that am very fortunate to be in this position, and fortunate also that my husband likes his job.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:55 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
I am retired and work on the place here more than I did before I was retired.
People that work value them self providing a difference in the world.
Those that choose to do nothing are selfish waste of flesh.IMO
Even if I were wealthy and could hire all my work done.
I still need to be productive.
. Making positive difference in the world raises ones self esteem.
Even with idle moments. Either I am here or developing some improvement on equipment I need .
I will always enjoy building machinery.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:09 AM

781 posts, read 737,132 times
Since I love music so much I would be working on music; recording and composing. If I had the money I'd get some land out in the middle of nowhere, put together a little recording studio, turn the Marshalls to 11, and KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHER F@#$ER!!!!!!

(NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XhQRFO4M7A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment