Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:12 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadboy View Post
I wouldn't. There is no job on the planet that interests me. Even if I had a passion, having to work 40+ hours a week would destroy any passion I'd have for it. I enjoy doing "nothing." I am looking forward to retirement lol. I know there are some people who like work and their job is basically their identity. I don't think I'll ever be like that unfortunately.

Would you choose to work at your current job (state what it is) if you didn't have to?
Would you choose to work at your dream job (state what it is) if you didn't have to?
My dream job is being a history professor at a college. Adjunct or not. Loving what you do trounces the paycheck. That's my goal but it will take several more years to accomplish it.

All these crappy business jobs to me are just a means to an end in getting to that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 11:37 AM

55 posts, read 63,301 times
I'm passionate about what I do, but honestly 40 hour a week of anything is enough to make you hate it!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:21 PM

1,136 posts, read 924,361 times
I would be much more selective in where I worked but yes I would work.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:38 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I would "work" at something that I consider fun, like maybe flipping a house, or day trade stocks.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:40 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
yes, if i could afford to live i would still work free, and i hate my job, but i must do something

Old 05-26-2015, 01:54 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
I don't technically have to work if I don't want as I can survive on income generating investments but I never plan to retire unless physically I had to do so. I love owning my own company and seeing it grow and working to achieve a high level of success. My true passion is filmmaking and I've only gotten to direct one feature film so ideally I would be doing that full time.

I can imagine if I'm 50 and I've still not made it in mainstream Hollywood but my company is doing well, I would either sell the company and retire to screenwriting, use the company profits to make feature films, and / or step back from the company and let all day to day tasks be done by other people. At 50 I'm either making movies or writing screenplays or enjoying my life I definitely won't be dealing with nonsense that isn't passion number one by then.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
i'm with you op. If i could stop working this instant, i would and i wouldn't miss it at all. Work gets in the way of life and to be frank, the only reason i am at my job is for the money. I could not care less about the work i do or my coworkers. That is how i have felt about all of my jobs.
ftfy

Old 05-26-2015, 02:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Heck no, the only reason I work is to make money so I can do the things I like to do including having the lifestyle I have.

I never understood those who would be "bored"; really? So much in this world yet cannot find anything to do at all besides working?

Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Heck no, the only reason I work is to make money so I can do the things I like to do including having the lifestyle I have.

I never understood those who would be "bored"; really? So much in this world yet cannot find anything to do at all besides working?
I think you'd be surprised.

When my dad retired, he already had been exercising every day. So, he started painting and reading, and cooking a lot. Beyond that, there's not that much for him to do.

Plus, you don't have anybody to do it with. It's like that Saturday where there's a really cool event to go to, but you have nobody to go with.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:26 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
If I won the lottery, I'd start a for-profit shoe company and a non-profit recycling company.

My business plan for the shoe company would be to hire workers that typically fall through the cracks and give them job experience. The company needs to make enough profit to pay for itself (and all the taxes) but the larger goal would be to provide work experience rather than a huge profit.

The non-profit would recycle clothing and household goods from estates. People could call us to clean out houses and receive a tax-break, instead of having to mess with a garage sale.

If I didn't have to worry about making a salary, I'd throw myself into these endeavors. I don't think I'd ever be happy not working, but I'd rather be working at something that is helping people and keeping usable things out of the landfill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment