Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 07:58 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
IT stinks being an IT worker. If I was put in that situation I'd gang up with all employees and refuse to train our replacements. I would let the company sink and tell everyone to refuse to do work or train our replacements.
That sounds like a labor union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 08:46 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
so what rules do you think is missing in the US? I assume you want a rule where the top earners have a cap? does that mean lon low wage earners can also have a cap on how much they make? Something like a class structure like in India?

you may not like how the laws are implemented, but it doesnt mean there arent rules
No, not at all. But a cap on H1-B visas? Yes. It's impossible for Americans to compete with billions of people from third world countries.

If other countries were willing to hire Americans for cheaper than they pay their local labor, then I'd have no problem with it.

But most countries tend to put their countrymen first, so the flow of labor is one-sided - away from Americans.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:50 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Why move when the government is bringing India to you ?
So they can get jobs. And then probably move back here on an H1-B visa. lol

Old 06-06-2015, 11:27 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Why do you assume that either "numbersUSA" or "betterimmigration.com" are any more credible than breitbart? NumbersUSA is a single-subject anti-immigration website. It was founded by Roy H. Beck when he worked for anti-immigration author John Tanton. The San Antonio Express-News described him as "the 'tutor' for former U.S. Representative (and failed presidential and Colorado gubernatorial candidate) Tom Tancredo on immigration issues.

Right off the bat on their home page, BetterImmigration announces they consider "better" immigration to be REDUCED immigration. The website, purchased from GoDaddy.com for $10, works off a server in Scottsdale, AZ, a bastion of anti-Latino immigration. What little traffic it gets mostly arrives via its link to the no-better rated but certainly better-known website Free Republic. That's a mouthpiece for the ultraconservative groups that organized the boycott of the Dixie Chicks (in support of the Bush/Cheney Iraq policies) and the trashing of the reputation of newsman Dan Rather, among other stunts. Free Republic is so conservative it considers Republicans like Mitt Romney and even Rudolph Giuliani to be RINOs. Free Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Free Republic passes on messages from rightwing activists like Ann Coulter, Alan Keyes, Lucianne Goldberg, and Bob Barr. Most interestingly, no less an activist than Matt Drudge publicly chastised Free Republic for posting racist propaganda.

I like to read sources that do not have preconceived notions about what statistics should prove. And, speaking personally, it would be pretty stupid for me to be anti-immigration given I'm not a Native American. My people have only been here for two generations and my grandparents (from four different European countries) were all reviled by many when they came here (to do work rich "Americans" didn't want to do, just like many of today's immigrants).
To each his own, I guess. I'm half Latino and don't find it to be "anti-Latino". As for John Tanton, yes I'm well aware of his background. Plus, when he gave seed money to groups, he did tell them that they weren't expected to adhere to his beliefs. Was it right to take his money? Probably not---but it's a done deal at this point and if you were to read the mission statements of these groups, you won't find any "anti-Latino" rhetoric. Besides, not all illegal aliens are Latinos. In the past, ICE has deported illegal aliens back to 189 different countries.

Besides, as a country we are very generous when it comes to legal immigration as we allow 1 million immigrants per year into this country, with no adjustments that take into consideration what the economy or job market is like. I have great respect for those who obey our immigration laws but we can't keep taking in so many people as we don't have unlimited buildable land or potable water.

As for Tom Tancredo---what is wrong with him? How is he a bad person? How does making anyone who is against illegal immigration and for reduced legal immigration somehow a person who is to be reviled? BTW, when Tom Tancredo was in congress, he introduced a bill to abolish the H1-B visa program, as he recognized the fraud and corruption that exists in the program. I agree with him. The H1-B visa program needs to be abolished at this point. We don't need to be bringing in STEM/IT visa workers when we have thousands of experienced American citizen STEM/IT workers who are unemployed. It's despicable when companies like Disney and Southern California Edison (to give recent examples) are able to lay off their IT staff and replace them with visa workers. Then you have people like Zuckerberg and Gates claiming that there aren't enough Americans to do these jobs---which is a bald faced lie.

As for being "anti-immigration" 1) Wanting reduced immigration due to concerns about the environment and making sure that Americans are able to find employment is NOT anti-immigration. 2) Guess what? Even the Native-Americans' ancestors, by your definition were "immigrants" here, having come from Asia. Besides, some believe that it was the Solutreans who were here first.

BTW, I don't read "Free Republic", so why bring it into the discussion when it wasn't mentioned previously?

As for NumbersUSA's stats on "better immigration", they do take into account each and every rep and senators' track records on this issue. And, yes, a site that is for open borders and unlimited legal and illegal immigration would grade differently as they have a different agenda. That doesn't change what the reps and senators' records are like, does it?

Old 06-07-2015, 05:49 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
No, not at all. But a cap on H1-B visas? Yes. It's impossible for Americans to compete with billions of people from third world countries.

If other countries were willing to hire Americans for cheaper than they pay their local labor, then I'd have no problem with it.

But most countries tend to put their countrymen first, so the flow of labor is one-sided - away from Americans.
This is true and indicative of the years when millions of blue collar jobs were lost. Instead of demanding something in return (like allowing US companies to own majority stakes in foreign firms (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.) for opening the US economy - the US let several major sectors of the economy simply vanish while virtually every other one of our major trading partners practiced massive protectionism and nationalist quotas/subsidies to their strategic industries. Politicos were saying that such policies were good for Americans. Even now our national IP is being copied and our major Industrial firms - like GE, Boeing, Lockheed Martin have to compete with government subsidized firms from abroad. The politicians say that creating trade (TPP) will create jobs without any significant points explaining how that will be accomplished.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:10 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
This trend in firing Americans and hiring cheap H-1B immigrant workers is disgusting and it says a lot about how greedy these organizations are. And I can now see how hard it is for these IT professionals to find other employment in the same line of work because other companies are doing the same thing! If you're a natural born American with high IT skills, you're too much of a financial overhead burden, and the jobs are being filled by Indians. This sucks so bad for us.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:14 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

As for Tom Tancredo---what is wrong with him? How is he a bad person? How does making anyone who is against illegal immigration and for reduced legal immigration somehow a person who is to be reviled? BTW, when Tom Tancredo was in congress, he introduced a bill to abolish the H1-B visa program, as he recognized the fraud and corruption that exists in the program. I agree with him. The H1-B visa program needs to be abolished at this point. We don't need to be bringing in STEM/IT visa workers when we have thousands of experienced American citizen STEM/IT workers who are unemployed. It's despicable when companies like Disney and Southern California Edison (to give recent examples) are able to lay off their IT staff and replace them with visa workers. Then you have people like Zuckerberg and Gates claiming that there aren't enough Americans to do these jobs---which is a bald faced lie.
Great post - as long as these firms as contributing beaucoup $$$ to the politicians, nothing will ever change.

The government expects these unemployed STEM/IT workers to either suck it up at a job beneath their skill set or uproot themselves and relocate to where a job might possibly exist. The H-1B workers have no trouble moving their families from city to city as they don't put down roots and don't assimilate. Toss in the fact they're cheaper and it's a no brainer for any corporation.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:16 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The plan is to replace American citizens. As long as it's cost-effective for it to continue and there are no legal barriers against it, it will happen.
Ya right, Have you seen the southern border? Last I checked we have laws against illegal entry but guess what Who Cares. Make all the laws you want but unless the feds enforce nothing will change. The very people who loose their jobs don't even care. If anything is even said about it you get labeled a "racists".
Sorry but the American worker is at fault, by electing leaders who do nothing to stop the influx of legal and illegal workers. Guarantee if the American workers were marching in the streets about their job losses things would change. Instead we are all watching the Kardashians while drinking our Starbucks.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:48 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
This trend in firing Americans and hiring cheap H-1B immigrant workers is disgusting and it says a lot about how greedy these organizations are. And I can now see how hard it is for these IT professionals to find other employment in the same line of work because other companies are doing the same thing! If you're a natural born American with high IT skills, you're too much of a financial overhead burden, and the jobs are being filled by Indians. This sucks so bad for us.
Even worse, a lot of those Indian H1-Bs eventually get green cards and end up in positions where they do the hiring---and they blatantly discriminate against non-Indians, which makes it even harder for non-Indian Americans to find work.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Ya right, Have you seen the southern border? Last I checked we have laws against illegal entry but guess what Who Cares. Make all the laws you want but unless the feds enforce nothing will change. The very people who loose their jobs don't even care. If anything is even said about it you get labeled a "racists".
Sorry but the American worker is at fault, by electing leaders who do nothing to stop the influx of legal and illegal workers. Guarantee if the American workers were marching in the streets about their job losses things would change. Instead we are all watching the Kardashians while drinking our Starbucks.
Personally, I've never seen the Kardashians TV program and I make my own coffee, so please don't paint all of us with the same broad brush. I lost a much-needed full-time job in Arizona four years ago. It did not go to a Latino immigrant, legal or illegal.

I lost it because my employer went bankrupt. Why? Because a group of wannabe Mitt Romneys, who had never run a company in that field before, bought it from the family that had run it successfully for three generations (the founders were Hungarian immigrants, by the way), and immediately began to expand it. All of us who worked there told them their strategy was ill-advised but they knew best. So by the end of the first year, they couldn't pay their bills. How did they handle that conundrum? They began taking orders from customers for product we did not have. But manufacturers then refused to fill those orders because the young takeover artists were in arrears on their payments. Not only did hundreds of Arizonans lose their jobs (and much of the back pay they were owed), but hundreds of our customers lost their deposits on merchandise. Nothing that bad happened to the takeover artists, though. They were restructured by the bankruptcy court, got to deduct their losses from their taxes, and they're still in business, taking apart other small companies here in the Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment