Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:37 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,214,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
No, any time you are taking time off work (especially if you are a new employee and probably in a probationary period) you should get in in writing. Leaving early for the day, coming in late, day off... in writing so that this does not happen.

Speeding and falling on the sidewalk are not analogous to this situation.
Oh come on...if you are in good standing in a job there is no way you need to get every moment of time off from your direct boss in writing. That is ridiculous.

Now if you are in poor standing or the work-place is not stable..that's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 01:46 PM

359 posts, read 478,387 times
I suppose it could be that I don't trust my employer at all and that I generally don't take risks when it comes to my income and ability to provide for my family.

I like to have everything in writing so that there can be no miscommunication.... and if there is I can point my boss to an email where he approved the time off. I am in good standing, but you never know when somebody will start to look for an excuse to fire you.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:49 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,427,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
I suppose it could be that I don't trust my employer at all and that I generally don't take risks when it comes to my income and ability to provide for my family.

I like to have everything in writing so that there can be no miscommunication.... and if there is I can point my boss to an email where he approved the time off. I am in good standing, but you never know when somebody will start to look for an excuse to fire you.
Yes, this. I always got formal approval for time off or leaving early. Another teacher didn't and was put on a growth plan. The principal didn't remember letting her leave early or taking a day off after a holiday.

I can only imagine what it's like in the business world.

Sorry this happened OP. Good luck on finding a new job.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:19 PM

372 posts, read 536,216 times
Might be a good idea to find a different place to work. Doesn't sound too friendly or sane there.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:53 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,708,030 times
If i told all of my employers i needed every single thing in writing theyd quickly hand me my termination papers

Old 06-12-2015, 05:21 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,427,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If i told all of my employers i needed every single thing in writing theyd quickly hand me my termination papers
How often do you ask off or to leave early? It's a simple email. Isn't that how most communication in the office is handled these days?

Old 06-12-2015, 06:24 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,318,293 times
2OP: Suing will be expensive and won't get you much.

However, write a letter to the corporate headquarters, copy to the district manager, copy to the state employment bureau. Stress that your boss made you work on Saturday without paying overtime, then told you to take a day off, then fired you for taking that day off. Worst thing, nobody will lift a finger. Or maybe you will get paid for this Saturday. Or maybe the employment bureau will call your company to hear their side of the story, the corporate will be displeased that they had to deal with this and will let the district manager know, the district manager will be extra displeased and will chew up your ex-manager's ass for putting him in the spotligth. If you aren't opposed to making this public, post this story on the company's Facebook page. They don't like bad publicity. Yes it's "he said she said" but in cases like this, people tend to believe the employee. Although, depending on a field, this may hurt your chances for finding other employment. But if this is a low pay job with a high turnover, they won't spend an extra dime investigating potential hires. In the end, you may not get your old job back, but you may screw up the weekend of your ex boss with very little cost to you.

And, of course, if you observed any violation of the state or federal safety, health, or employment laws, it is your obligation as a good citizen to report them to the respective government agencies. I wouldn't expect them to take much action but a simple phone call from such agency will ensure that your ex manager is in a bad spot with corporate office and his boss. Nobody likes to have to deal with problems that their subordinates caused. And it's not like after a week you'd be putting this company on your list of references anyway.

Last edited by Ummagumma; 06-12-2015 at 06:32 AM..

Old 06-12-2015, 08:02 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,169,333 times
First time poster never came back. Sayin'.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:16 AM

306 posts, read 432,892 times
Things are getting more and more cutthroat. You have to watch out for your managers now. No more trust.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:19 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,811,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
How often do you ask off or to leave early? It's a simple email. Isn't that how most communication in the office is handled these days?
That is the policy where I am. It doesn't need to be formal, but use email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment