Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,524 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a question.

On my first week of the job, I worked an extra day, because I didn't have a formal schedule as a new hire.

That extra day was this passing Saturday.

My morning manager beckoned me aside and told me "Because you worked an extra day this Saturday, take your next day, Tuesday, off. It would be too much stress on the payroll, otherwise."

Another co-worker talked to me about the plans we had for Wednesday. So he was on board with what the manager said as well.

I didn't report to work on Tuesday.

I came in tonight, and one of my co-workers was given the order to terminate me. I asked him "why?" and he told me "because you were a no call, no show yesterday." This completely blindsided me. I didn't have a tearful or emotional attitude. I had a "I'm-going-to-get-to-the-bottom-of-this" attitude.

I spoke to an additional manager, who said that the one who told me to take that day off, gave him the order to terminate me.

So, you can imagine my frustration. What frustrates me even more is that she magically "forgot" what she told me, and she ordered to have me terminated.

Also, magically, the co-workers told me that had no knowledge of the subject, even though, I was fairly certain there were some ears present.

Is it possible to take this issue to an attorney?

Will I be laughed out of the office?

Thank you for your time and answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 11:08 PM

482 posts, read 944,842 times
I would take it up with upper management first before hiring an attorney. This is craziness.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
I think it might not be tied but it is rather interesting that you were fired for being a no-call after the manager told you to take the day off. I'd call his manager if possible before calling an employment law attorney for consultation.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyotse View Post
Is it possible to take this issue to an attorney?

Will I be laughed out of the office?
Yes.

Yes.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:48 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Do you have the day-off order in writing? Always get stuff like that in writing, backing up the record in any way you legally can (in case your work email access is suddenly terminated).

Odds are this wasn't the 'real' reason you got fired, your boss was just trying to find an excuse.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
"He said-She Said." Hard to prove in court that the supervisor had told you to take the day off with nothing in writing.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:16 AM

359 posts, read 476,837 times
Consider this a lesson learned. Always get everything in writing.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:42 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
Consider this a lesson learned. Always get everything in writing.
Easier said than done.

Say you're driving down the highway at 5mph over the speed limit and you get pulled over. Yes, it's rare but there are cops out there that will do this. Would you ever say lesson well learned and you will never drive over the speed limit ever again?

Say you're walking on a sidewalk and you tripped and fall flat on your face because the pavement was uneven there. Would you ever say lesson well learned and you will never look anywhere but down ever again?

The fact of the matter is everyone takes short cuts within reason here and there in life. It is absolutely unreasonable to expect anyone to never take a short cut within reason.

What happened to the OP might be tragic, but it is so rare that asking him to get everything in writing from now on is just an unreasonable request.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:46 AM

359 posts, read 476,837 times
No, any time you are taking time off work (especially if you are a new employee and probably in a probationary period) you should get in in writing. Leaving early for the day, coming in late, day off... in writing so that this does not happen.

Speeding and falling on the sidewalk are not analogous to this situation.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
No, any time you are taking time off work (especially if you are a new employee and probably in a probationary period) you should get in in writing. Leaving early for the day, coming in late, day off... in writing so that this does not happen.

Speeding and falling on the sidewalk are not analogous to this situation.
They are analogous. I've worked in professional jobs for 10 out of 30 years of my life, and never once have I needed to get time off, coming in late, etc. in writing. I'm not denying that getting it in writing is a good idea. I've just never had a problem not getting it in writing. Just like how I've never had a problem driving 10 over the speed limit on an interstate even though I've heard of people getting ticketed for driving 7-8 over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment