Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 08:26 PM

98 posts, read 198,210 times

Advertisements

I've been in my field for nine years, six of which are with my current company. I have other relevant experience too from many years ago that has enhanced my position there.
I love my job and I'm very passionate about it and I've always had very good annual reviews.
We had always been a very personable company but now a layer of bureaucracy has been added- an H.R. department.
I had previously interviewed for two internal management/supervisor positions in the last few years but did not get the jobs. I was a strong candidate both times but I understood their choice to go with others that had been there longer.
An opportunity came up again for one of these positions so I submitted my resume to our H.R. One month later my boss receives an email from H.R. stating that I wouldn't even be invited to the interview because I don't have the one year supervisory experience. The job only calls out for one year experience in the field. They're going to interview externally and if that doesn't work out they're going to "settle" and interview me I'm pretty disappointed albeit devastated. There are no supervision opportunities other than these as my work place is small. It's very frustrating. I'm maintaining my composure at work but I'm so upset. My co-workers are dumbfounded by this H.R. decision. Any thoughts folks? I need help in how to deal and approach this if necessary.....

Last edited by catalina_yucaipa; 05-11-2019 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Wrong word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 08:58 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Yup. The catch-22 - no experience, no job; no job, no experience.

They don't want to train up and groom internal people for higher positions later then they complain they can't find anyone to fill the position. Utterly ridiculous.

How to deal with this? Find another company. Don't quit the job while you're currently working, just find the same position in a company that actually promotes from within.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:27 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Best 'advice?'

Brush up the resume, and start looking elsewhere.

What was that saying, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..

I'm being blunt here (of course), but I think you should have realized by now that your company has zero interest in seeing you in any supervisory type roles. If your company truly wanted you in that role, don't you think they'd have taken you aside long ago and groomed you for becoming a supervisor? If you keep holding out for the hopes that one day they'll promote you, you'll be in for the long haul and become even more bitter and angry than you are now.

Every company is different in how they do these things. I've worked for companies that gave preference to internal hires for promotions to supervisory roles, and other companies that preferred outside hires. One company did both depending on the talent pool.

Best thing to do is to save your self respect and move on. If you truly want to get into management, then you have to look outside the company no matter how much you 'love' it and no matter how much of a comfort zone your current situation is. I've known several former co-workers that quit when they were not promoted to supervisor and had to look outside the company for a chance. Either you truly want to advance, or you don't, there's no middle ground.

Good luck.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:55 PM

Yes most likely I will have to. Appreciate your words

Old 05-12-2019, 12:54 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
It's unfortunate, but yes, you likely will have to leave.

Not only have they not picked you before. But I didn't see you say that they've even given you any encouragement at all, that you could be promoted in the future.

It would have been nice to hear that platitude, even if it wasn't true and it was only to string you along.)
But that's good also because they are NOT striking you along. It's pretty clear what they truly think.

You just have to decide what you're going to do about the situation, and lack of promotion potential there.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:21 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Best 'advice?'

Brush up the resume, and start looking elsewhere.

What was that saying, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..

I'm being blunt here (of course), but I think you should have realized by now that your company has zero interest in seeing you in any supervisory type roles. If your company truly wanted you in that role, don't you think they'd have taken you aside long ago and groomed you for becoming a supervisor? If you keep holding out for the hopes that one day they'll promote you, you'll be in for the long haul and become even more bitter and angry than you are now.

Every company is different in how they do these things. I've worked for companies that gave preference to internal hires for promotions to supervisory roles, and other companies that preferred outside hires. One company did both depending on the talent pool.

Best thing to do is to save your self respect and move on. If you truly want to get into management, then you have to look outside the company no matter how much you 'love' it and no matter how much of a comfort zone your current situation is. I've known several former co-workers that quit when they were not promoted to supervisor and had to look outside the company for a chance. Either you truly want to advance, or you don't, there's no middle ground.

Good luck.
Agree with this. They don't want you in that role.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:26 AM

I do know this that it is not those who I directly report to making the decision--it's H.R. It didn't used to be that way until they brought that function within the company. Someone that doesn't know me made the decision; it does tell me a lot about the direction of the company. I've invested in myself and obtained certificates in management and supervision, learned the operations but it's not enough. Investing in employees and committing to their growth and what they can become is overlooked. I am so, so heartbroken that I'm not even getting a chance to interview this time.

I pretty much knew the advice I would be given--I just needed to learn it from people on the outside. Thanks so much

Old 05-12-2019, 11:36 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
I'd wait until they hire someone else first. In the meantime, get your resume ready.
If you're leaving they may compensate you to get you to stay and take you more seriously next time.

If they don't, then they really didn't value that highly in the first place.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
OP, what sort of development opportunities have you had? The first couple of times you expressed an interest in being a manager, that should have been listed as a development goal and your current management should have worked with you to find leadership opportunities - either through leading projects, small teams, or something else. Its true, the company probably isnt going to hire a manager with zero experience, but there are other ways to creatively get that experience without being an actual "manager".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment