Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times

Advertisements

I've seen a good number of people fired from various jobs over the years. More often than not it has been for incompetence and an inability to perform the job duties satisfactorily. However, I have seen some lazy employees ushered out the door.

Which would you be more willing to fire someone over? Can either one be rehabilitated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times
Lazy. Both types need to be let go.

Rehab for lazy people? Military service.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:25 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
I won't say I wish firings on anyone, but I certainly vote for a huge kick in the pants for laziness! Knock that crap off and do your damn job and use your damn brain!!!!!

Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
The lazy employees were generally drinking buddies with the management and were favored. It seems the harder you worked the more they wanted to get rid of you. Work is a social club!

Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
I am fortunate that my employees and contractors hold themselves to a higher standard that I don't have a need to terminate. However, in speaking with other business owners and executives, the majority of terminations are due to laziness. That laziness translates to incompetence, poor performance, and other reasons for termination. The person usually has the skills and ability, they just don;t seem to care.

Every employee (except those with attitude issues) are salvageable with the right effort from both sides, employer and employee, but, there is little incentive to the employer when 100 others are standing outside, faces press to the glass, waving their resumes.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Laziness becomes incompetence when the work is not getting done on time. My staff have to deal with multiple, competing deadlines, so if they are lazy and not getting things done they will get put onto a performance improvement plan, and be let go if they don't improve. Fortunately that hasn't happened since my one problem person transferred to another location. I can't see them from my office but I do walk around their cubes several times a day and get a good idea of how hard they are working, and right now have a great group of workers.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:29 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,397 times
I see more people fired for not being politically correct, in with the "work clique" or kiss butts than I see people getting laid off, let go or "fired for laziness and incompetence

Old 07-29-2015, 04:40 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,622,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've seen a good number of people fired from various jobs over the years. More often than not it has been for incompetence and an inability to perform the job duties satisfactorily. However, I have seen some lazy employees ushered out the door.

Which would you be more willing to fire someone over? Can either one be rehabilitated?
A lazy person can be rehabbed. In my experience, many of my staff who seemed lazy were simply afraid to show intiative. Once they got the go-ahead they though they needed, they did very well.

I've also had a co-worker who became lazier over time and it took the boss a while to do something about it. Honestly, most bosses I've dealt with weren't good with confrontation unless they truly despised the employee...and they weren't necessarily correct in their dislike of that person.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:42 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Incompetence covers a wide range of situations and thus termination based upon such findings would vary.

A nurse who adminsiters the incorrect medication could be labled "incompetent", but much could and sould depend upon how the error occured.

OTOH if one has been trained how to perform a proceedure/job and consistently fails even with remediation, then it is time to go.

Being "lazy" can be rather subjective in nature. Is an employee who merely completes work as assigned and shows no initiative "lazy"? How about a clock-watcher?

Of the two it has been my experience "lazy" is a catch all word for when a place just wants someone gone. Maybe they just aren't a good fit for that company/department/buisness. If everyone else in a department is a go-getter but one needs a fire-cracker lit under them to get anything more than the minimum....

Old 07-29-2015, 06:35 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

You say this like you have been in the workforce for 30 years. I thought you graduated not that long ago ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment