Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:46 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

Soooo with not even a microwave....the people who work like a dog and barely have time to take a break -- what? can't bring a frozen food entree to heat up....they can ONLY bring a white bread sandwich like a kid at school? That's ridiculous.

OR perhaps the boss wants them to HAVE to go out to eat... and come back. We have a au Bon Pain cafe in our building -- and it STILL takes on AVERAGE 15 mins to go down order and comeback......G-d forbid you want them to make a salad or sandwich during the lunch rush.......it's more like 20 minutes!

We don't get set lunch breaks, where you LEAVE the office for lunch. We have to eat lunch AS we work.

And as for wanting your own things (microwave, mini frig, coffe maker, etc).....we have a break room and there was a hand-held can opener there...but it wasn't a very good one, cheap so the handle was hard to turn and hurt your fingers. So, since I open cans a lot -- bought a can opener to leave in the kitchen....for whoever want to use...that was fine. I needed it, and if anyone else did ...that was OK. Until I came in one day an it was broken..do you think the person left a note. Sorry I broke the can opener. See me,....or do you think they REPLACED what they broke...NO.

How many times have a clean a FILTHY micro with sauce splashed on the inside.... some co-workers ARE PIGS....they spill their sugar, coffee, creamer -- or WHATEVER -- on the counter. And just leave it. Like someone there is a frigging maid or something. OR they put their entire lunch tote in the frig and take up all the space.

So YEAH -- I GET why someone what's their own set up. But -- just like with the microwave....if you're sharing a communal space, things like that happen.

Every time I see someone walk away with a coffee ring left on the counter -- I SURE DO -- say, "oh, you spilled some of your coffee, the paper towels are right here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Don't listen to the anti-rebel please. It only takes a snip with scissors to the power cord.
That's mean. There are people who like to heat up their food. It is sometimes refreshing to have a hot meal vs. a cold one. Plus, what are you going to do about the office dieter who always brings tuna and sardines? Can't you just put up with it? It really doesn't stink. I don't understand why people say that food smells are unpleasant, maybe when you are really hungry, but then why don't you eat?

On top of all of that, don't forget about the security cameras or the office geek who keeps a camera pen in his or her pocket to record random co-workers doing silly things...

Old 07-31-2015, 12:28 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Am I the only one who gets annoyed when people come into your office, use your microwave to reheat food, and then it stinks up the entire office for hours? It's always the same people that do it too! I have been smelling a reheated sub sandwich for like an hour now.

No! I am another one. When I worked as an RN there were people who brought very pungent and highly spiced food from home to re-heat in the microwave. The brake room reeked.

I love ethnic food in a restaurant. Reheated at work? Not so much.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:39 PM

573 posts, read 586,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
First day!? Oh no! Did she also bring a tuna sandwich for lunch, lol.
No sandwich, she was just wearing shorts!

Old 07-31-2015, 04:28 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No! I am another one. When I worked as an RN there were people who brought very pungent and highly spiced food from home to re-heat in the microwave. The brake room reeked.

I love ethnic food in a restaurant. Reheated at work? Not so much.
I seriously do not have this aversion to the smell of reheated food in the microwave. I don't understand the issue. Even if it's something you don't personally eat, does it really smell that bad? I don't think I would be bothered by even sardines reheated in the microwave; it just smells like cooked fish, right? I'm sorry; I don't get it.

If it's that big of a deal for some of you, though, you all could:

*Get a quality air purifier and station it right by the microwave
*Move the microwave to a low traffic area
*Have designated times to use the microwave
*Designate an "inspection team" of lunch breaking coworkers to make sure re-heaters use the proper containment and clean-up procedures.
*Have someone heat up pleasant smelling dessert, like chocolate, after the re-heaters finish lunch.
*Heat a bar of soap in the microwave after the lunch hour, and claim that it's being cleaned. (You could also unplug the microwave and put an "out of order" sign on it.)
*Put a sign on the microwave that it's for re-heating "coffee and warm beverages only," not food.
*Get an odor neutralizing fragrance dispenser that smells like freshly baked cookies, and put it next to the microwave.
*Petition to get rid of the microwave but keep a hot water dispenser or tea kettle so that coworkers can heat up soups and make instant dry dishes. (Soup is a decent lunch)
*Ask management to make one of the well-ventilated rooms into a "kitchen."

If you're the only one complaining, keep a bottle of odor neutralizer or strongly scented potpourri at your desk; that should kill most of the odors.

Last edited by krmb; 07-31-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 04:38 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
No you wouldn't. You wouldn't know who did it.
There's a specific personality profile for that type of individual - you just think you're unique.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:49 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I seriously do not have this aversion to the smell of reheated food in the microwave. I don't understand the issue. Even if it's something you don't personally eat, does it really smell that bad? I don't think I would be bothered by even sardines reheated in the microwave; it just smells like cooked fish, right? I'm sorry; I don't get it.

If it's that big of a deal for some of you, though, you all could:

*Get a quality air purifier and station it right by the microwave
*Move the microwave to a low traffic area
*Have designated times to use the microwave
*Designate an "inspection team" of lunch breaking coworkers to make sure re-heaters use the proper containment and clean-up procedures.
*Have someone heat up pleasant smelling dessert, like chocolate, after the re-heaters finish lunch.
*Heat a bar of soap in the microwave after the lunch hour, and claim that it's being cleaned. (You could also unplug the microwave and put an "out of order" sign on it.)
*Put a sign on the microwave that it's for re-heating "coffee and warm beverages only," not food.
*Get an odor neutralizing fragrance dispenser that smells like freshly baked cookies, and put it next to the microwave.
*Petition to get rid of the microwave but keep a hot water dispenser or tea kettle so that coworkers can heat up soups and make instant dry dishes. (Soup is a decent lunch)
*Ask management to make one of the well-ventilated rooms into a "kitchen."

If you're the only one complaining, keep a bottle of odor neutralizer or strongly scented potpourri at your desk; that should kill most of the odors.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume your office in Mobile,Al probably doesn't have the food diversity that is found in many metropolitan offices.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:46 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
<raises hand> oh, oh, oh!

get some Limburger and

1) put it in bread like it's a sandwich, and soon as the culprit comes in the door, hop up to finish fixing your snack and hit high for about 30 seconds

2) or, get a piece if duct tape (same color as interior of microwave) and tape a small strip, say 1/2 inch by 1 inch in the back corner. Don't cover it all up, let your coworkers cook away.

Personally, I prefer #1, you'll have to have a look alike sandwich that you really eat (put the stinky one in a lunch bag and toss it in the trash). That should ensue a discussion of your stinky lunch.......which will give you the open door to share what other foods stink.

Fight fire w/ fire.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:17 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
I don't get it. Regardless of where it's located, the purpose of having one at your workplace is to use it (to reheat food), right?

If it's just there for effect, put an "off limits" sign on it. If not, and everyone else's food stinks but yours, move the dang thing somewhere else.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Haha, I feel for ya. We do have a breakroom which has 10 microwaves, and all those smells in there can get...confusing. A few days ago the horrible smell of fish leaked out into the whole freaking hallway outside -_- Burnt popcorn is the worst. MY department is relatively close the the breakroom, so we can often smell the smelly smells of stuff that smells smelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment