Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:32 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
For those of you who saying teaching is not hard, I'd like to see you try it. Teaching is by far one of the most difficult professions. Teachers are so underpaid where I live (they start out at about 40k) and are expected to work weekends, come in before school starts, and stay late. My mother is a teacher and has been working all summer preparing for school (coming up with ideas, lesson planning, activities, etc.) I think it's different when you teach high school, but for those teaching elementary school/special education children, it's an extremely demanding job. My mom not only has to deal with the kids, but also their parents... and their complaints. Some teachers may only put in the bare minimum, but the GOOD teachers put in a lot more than 40 hours per week. My mom actually cares about her kids and likes to really make things special for them, she's not one to just teach a lesson from a book and move on.

Most jobs are underpaid to be fair.
There are tomes on this topic in the education forum. But basically two things.

1) There was a movie I watched with the theme being that teachers should get more $. Then, at the end of the film, they say the teachers' salaries and they were generally the same as mine. So, you're saying they deserve more why? Because they work after hours? Uh, so do I. They have summers off. I do not.

Another guy who is a chemist stated that he would be making 45K after a probationary period. And 40K is what they start people at in my company. Why do teachers deserve to make more than us? I don't think they do.

2) Teachers in my area make a very decent income. So, if teachers want to complain, they should take it against those teachers who make double and triple what they make, not against the rest of us.

Don't get me wrong, I respect teachers. I've thought of being one. I just don't think they are underpaid ... at all. At least not in my area. Or yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 02:42 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Right now,in this economy, ANY job that pays less than $20/hr is an UNDERPAID JOB, regardless of whether a "cake walk", or digging a septic tank by hand in a field of rocks....

Oh wow, so you individually know better than the market? Amazing.

I'm also disgusted with the way teachers always think they deserve to be paid more because they pull at the heart strings since they deal with children. They work substantially less days than the rest of working professionals, are teaching subjects that aren't challenging, and there's a boatload of people willing and capable of entering the profession. Learn a basic grasp of economics before saying teachers are underpaid. Also, learn what a MARKET rate is. IE, if the teachers can't walk out the door and get paid more somewhere else due to the value they create, then they are being paid market.

And to the Chemist guy. Accounting isn't an easy or party major as you implied. I'm sorry you're bitter beyond reason because you aren't talented or good enough to compete for jobs in Chemistry that pay good money.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
For those of you who saying teaching is not hard, I'd like to see you try it. Teaching is by far one of the most difficult professions. Teachers are so underpaid where I live (they start out at about 40k) and are expected to work weekends, come in before school starts, and stay late. My mother is a teacher and has been working all summer preparing for school (coming up with ideas, lesson planning, activities, etc.) I think it's different when you teach high school, but for those teaching elementary school/special education children, it's an extremely demanding job. My mom not only has to deal with the kids, but also their parents... and their complaints. Some teachers may only put in the bare minimum, but the GOOD teachers put in a lot more than 40 hours per week. My mom actually cares about her kids and likes to really make things special for them, she's not one to just teach a lesson from a book and move on.

Most jobs are underpaid to be fair.
Teaching is one of the most difficult professions? Now, I've heard it all.

You work long hours and work weekends? Welcome to every other professional occupation. The difference is, the work year isn't 180 days long. Although, I'm sure teachers think developing their lesson plan talking about George Washington is "hard", other professionals deal with highly complex topics.

Teaching has low barriers to entry. In other words, tons of people are able to get through the program. So you deal with the public? Dentists deal with the public. Kids and parents. Retail workers. Food service workers. I'm not sure how that means they deserve more money.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:15 PM

432 posts, read 760,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Can you give me one example where an increase in teacher pay has been of benefit to the student?
No, because teachers have never seen increases.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:17 PM

171 posts, read 181,212 times
CNA's. Those working in nursing homes.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Exactly!! I had several teachers remind us that they don't care if we learn or not, since they have tenure. It's frustrating now seeing them retire at 55 and get 6 figure pensions and free health insurance for the rest of their lives, while those of us who are working hard in the professional, white collar world are struggling to survive.
On which planet do teachers make six-figure pensions? And the health insurance isn't free, bud. Those educators worked for it.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
No, because teachers have never seen increases.
Yawn.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:31 PM

Yawns the fella who's never taught a class in his life.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Where I am, teachers and police officers can make near 80-90K with around 5 years of experience. That is not exactly underpaid.
I call BS. Where are you that a teacher can make that after five years in service?

Old 08-03-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
Yawns the fella who's never taught a class in his life.
First of all, just because someone hasn't taught in a classroom, doesn't mean they can't understand the actual economics of teacher pay. It also doesn't mean that I can't compare the teaching field to other professional fields. It's called being able to objectively evaluate evidence. Not to mention, it's pretty dangerous for you to go down this line of....logic...considering teachers teach about topics and fields that they can't/or never have been in.

You're like the idiot who thinks a person can't call a dinner made by a chef or a movie made by a director bad because "you couldn't make a better dinner or movie". That's not how the real world works.

I worked in the superintendent's office at a school district as an accounting intern. The controller and superintendent worked long hours. Had home offices. The teachers? Let's just say after they taught the multiplication tables for the day, they were gone. Holidays and Summer? The rest of the professional staff was there working. The teachers were having a summer off, complaining they weren't paid enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment