Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 AM

903 posts, read 583,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It all depends on how aggressive you are about your own career... I don't mean go out and assault someone, but how far you go in your chosen profession will depend on how hard you go after what you want.

I taught myself to program, and then searched for a manager in my company who would give me a chance to prove myself.

Finding a manager that needed some IT assistance that was not forthcoming from the IT department, I performed my regular job during the day, and automated office processes during my own time in the evenings and weekends (1980) to help that manager out.

After delivering a few programs that helped the department, I was allowed to change jobs and became THE developer for that department.

Once I knew I knew what I was doing, I set about finding an actual programmer position outside the company. It took about 3 months, but I found an entry level job that I could do... 33 years later, I am done with it, but I would not have gotten anywhere if I just sat around and waited for someone to give me an assignment.
I did practically the same thing. I was in Data-Entry. Taught myself the languages the company used, wrote some department specific programs and eventually landed a job in the IT Dept. Another employee at the company had basically done the same thing and he provided me some guidance along the way.

I eventually left for a sales job, but couldn't stop my love of coding and have since written a number of programs while surpassing my sales numbers.

cd :O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 AM

739 posts, read 843,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
I did practically the same thing. I was in Data-Entry. Taught myself the languages the company used, wrote some department specific programs and eventually landed a job in the IT Dept. Another employee at the company had basically done the same thing and he provided me some guidance along the way.

I eventually left for a sales job, but couldn't stop my love of coding and have since written a number of programs while surpassing my sales numbers.

cd :O)
That's a very unique set of skills that should serve you well. If you know sales AND how to code, not many people can do both.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:30 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
I'm a QA lead. I'm in South California, and after 7 years of experience making 130k a year. Next year my manager is going to retire and I'm going to take his place with a raise to 160k. And after that will move to QA director.
Dead end? Yeah right.
And I'm a manual QA without any scripting/dev knowledge.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
I would never get into programming being a white male. The good programers have been replaced with Indians that only know how to copy code from one program to another and modify it.
^^^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm a QA lead. I'm in South California, and after 7 years of experience making 130k a year. Next year my manager is going to retire and I'm going to take his place with a raise to 160k. And after that will move to QA director.
Dead end? Yeah right.
You're the exception. I was in QA for 7 years and was more technically skilled at that point than you say you are. I went into programming and have been doing it for 10 years. With 17 years of industry experience, I'm still not making as much as you are. Some of that could be COL differences, of course...but I know our QA lead makes less than I do. So there's that too.

Most companies around here seem to be offshoring QA to India anyway. Most of my company's QA people are in India with just a few here onsite.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:12 AM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Dead end? Yeah right.
QA isn't a dead end in itself, but if being used as a stepping stone to computer programming it largely is seen as one. We have a dedicated QA team and developers would be lost without them. Our first lead QA is now a member of senior management, responsible for rolling out new features and all the management that goes with that. One of our QA people actually has a degree in Computer Science and knows how to program, but prefers the work in QA.

Growth in QA usually doesn't mean moving over to the software engineering side of things, so if that is your goal, it could be seen as a dead end along that particular path.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:25 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
QA isn't a dead end in itself, but if being used as a stepping stone to computer programming it largely is seen as one. We have a dedicated QA team and developers would be lost without them. Our first lead QA is now a member of senior management, responsible for rolling out new features and all the management that goes with that. One of our QA people actually has a degree in Computer Science and knows how to program, but prefers the work in QA.

Growth in QA usually doesn't mean moving over to the software engineering side of things, so if that is your goal, it could be seen as a dead end along that particular path.
QA is a whole field by it self. You need to have a certain mindset to be a good QA. And the best QA that I know are people that came from political science, art and other "soft" stuff. They can see the bigger picture and create more thorough tests. Unit tests are not enough.
You can expend your skills with automation, unix, DB, and you can climb the layer if you have good management and communication skills.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:42 PM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
That's a very unique set of skills that should serve you well. If you know sales AND how to code, not many people can do both.
Thank you. I always tell people, I am a geek that happens to love people. I actually worked out of my house for a time, but yearned for the social aspect and that is when I found the job where I am at now.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
...I guess one question I would have from more experienced programmers is if you start out as a QA tester, do you eventually have the chance to work your way into more of a programming role?...
From what I've seen, a QA/Testing position is like being a catcher on a baseball team or a goalie on a hockey team. You can play different positions, but everyone always thinks of you as a catcher/goalie.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:48 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
I'm a Software Engineer in Test and ehhhh, it makes good money. I make more than all but one friend, but given I also do a bit of Java, Python, Scala, and Javascript development. I'm actually on the very high end of the curve for my age, so I'm content.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
I would never get into programming being a white male. The good programers have been replaced with Indians that only know how to copy code from one program to another and modify it.
I'm a white male and I haven't been replaced by Indians. Let's be honest. Indian developers replace poor quality American developers. This is true about East European developers as well. Americans from MIT, Indians from IIT and East Europeans are going to be where all the money goes.

The low quality developers get stuck writing SQL queries for MS SQL and on other tasks that good developers wouldn't touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment