Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:11 PM

146 posts, read 213,822 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Fast Food after the age of 21 is just not feasible to me, I dont have the patience for it.

Im not judging any adults on here who have to work at a burger joint to make a buck, Im just saying I personally can not work a fast food job, its akin to slave work to me.
The people you have to deal are by and large aholes, the MAJORITY of them look down at you, teenagers will mess with you, and other adults are going to talk to you like youre a dog for working there, **** that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 07:05 PM

590 posts, read 714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfrommars View Post
Amazing post, I wish I could rep you more than once.

There are some segments of the population that are CONVINCED that folks on any kind of benefit are Limousine riding jet setters living a life of leisure, and that hud-housing and disability assistance are comparable to the Ritz Carlton and a lottery lump sum payment, respectively.

The sad reality is, most people on assistance are living a hellish existence, and the ones who take " advantage " of the system hurt the tens of thousands of others who desperately need the assistance.
Its these idiots who set the stereotype for all who are on assistance. I am guilty of it too. I hate to admit it but I am. thanks for your post!

Old 10-03-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
You got that right, Alex.
I did social work for 25+ years and there are more poor souls struggling in lifelong poverty with NO HOPE, NO MEANS OUT.
Yes, there are liars, cheats, lazy ass people who suck the system for all it's worth, but believe it or not these are NOT the majority.
''There, but for the grace of God, go I.''
I am genuinely curious as to how this happens! I really am! Honestly, how is this possible? I am uneducated in this aspect, how does someone stay trapped in poverty forever? Are they supporting a whole bunch of kids and extended family by themselves? I actually want to know what is going on here. Direct message me if need be.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:14 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
I am genuinely curious as to how this happens! I really am! Honestly, how is this possible? I am uneducated in this aspect, how does someone stay trapped in poverty forever? Are they supporting a whole bunch of kids and extended family by themselves? I actually want to know what is going on here. Direct message me if need be.
Short answer: being poor is expensive. My personal definition of poverty (for what it's worth) is the lack of sufficient income to save for the future. If you're spending everything you have to get through each day, there's nothing left to invest toward improving your status via a car, an education, a nicer house, etc.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You ever see Mike Rowe's tv show Dirty Jobs? Yeah, pretty much 99% of those and add hooker, drug dealer, and striper to the list of jobs I wouldn't do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
City-Data political forum moderator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Short answer: being poor is expensive. My personal definition of poverty (for what it's worth) is the lack of sufficient income to save for the future. If you're spending everything you have to get through each day, there's nothing left to invest toward improving your status via a car, an education, a nicer house, etc.
It's like a vicious cycle that never ends! This would make me want to consider suicide.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:19 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,024 times
I would probably never want to cook for a living. I like doing it for myself and for people I like, but cooking for strangers is a very different thing.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
Cleaning bathrooms. YUCK!

Old 10-04-2015, 01:28 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Physical Labor. Never did any for a living from 1950 when I went into the Navy till I retired.

Some said no retail. I worked 10 years in retail, and managed some retail stores in the 50s and 60s. I worked in Furniture Sales, which is strictly commission work. Earned from $125,000 to $150,000 per year in today's dollars. The regular clerks when I was working in a major department store for that type of wages, made minimum wage, plus small annual raises for long term employees.

So retail is not bad for everyone.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,102,365 times
Anything that involved moving to Iowa. That state sucks.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:55 AM

10 posts, read 8,598 times
Financial or insurance agent. Calling and tricking people to buy crappy products that are in many cases infavourable for them. I find the whole financial industry to be misleading/not telling the whole truth when it comes to acquiring a new customers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment