Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:55 PM

61 posts, read 109,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No 'maybe' about that...

You have NO idea of which you speak.
Hmm..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 04:57 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
Life is a 24/7 job... no matter what you put into it.

I've been a full-time work at home Mom for my kids' entire lives. Compared to this, I would think "just" being a stay at home Mom while a SO brought home all the money would be easy street.

Everything is subjective.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:00 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaellys View Post
I grew up with sisters that are amazing moms and they said they would stay home with their kids over working in a heartbeat. It's a luxury. These moms claiming it's so hard have never worked a real job that requires skills then.
I assume you're a stay at home Mom with money to pay someone to raise your kids and take care of your house and spouse? That's the only time it would be a luxury.

I've done both and going to work is easier.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:00 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,213,097 times
It's a hard job, no doubt...

Old 11-07-2015, 05:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynnie1993 View Post
Lol wmns4life.

But the thing is...Im not a mom. So its not like im jealous of either side Im posting this because I saw someone put this on a resume
Right.

You're not a mother.
I thought similar things before my kids came along. Similar idiotic things.

They are nonstop from 0530 till 2200.
Plus all the house chores, bill paying, appts, etc.
And no...the 3 year old hasn't napped since before he was 2 and the 1 year old takes 25 minute naps 2 or 3 times a day - just enough time to get one chore done before she starts screaming her fool head off.

Both my wife and I work in extremely competitive, demanding fields. And she quit a very nice 6 figure job to take care of the kids (you know, be a parent) after receiving promotion after promotion and raise after raise for outperforming everyone else in her company. Even she says this is harder than her corporate finance job.

However, no. I do not believe it belongs on a resume that you were a SAHP. Except to explain a gap in employment history.

Do not have kids, op, if you don't plan to raise them.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Life is a 24/7 job... no matter what you put into it.

I've been a full-time work at home Mom for my kids' entire lives. Compared to this, I would think "just" being a stay at home Mom while a SO brought home all the money would be easy street.

Everything is subjective.

Sure. But you were actually raising your children and working instead of working and letting someone else raise your children. Of course that's harder.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:30 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynnie1993 View Post
I know Im gonna get **** for this.
But oh how I wish I could have the luxury of a husband going out and punching a time clock, working hard and making good money for me to be able to watch my babies grow up and be apart of their special moments/milestones in the comfort of my own home.
Im not a mom, but I currently work full time and work in a very hard industry, commute 1.5 hours each way, and usually work 50 hours a week. I see girls on my facebook give themselves all of this credit that being a stay at home mom is the "hardest job in the world". Yet they have never earned a degree/worked a real intensive job that requires critical thinking/hard physical labor.

Just wondering if this bothers anyone else. My sisters were stay at home moms for a while but then went back to work. They told me it was the most amazing thing to be at home with the kids though and they loved every minute, saying it wasnt that hard because it was rewarding and they could do it in their pajamas.

My personal favorite is when people put being a stay at home mom as a job on their resume.. Maybe im young and naive but to me that just sounds odd.
Well, thats a new one on me and very strange to think it will get you a job. A stay at home mother is a job so to speak and the personal experience of being with your children,watching them grow and learn,doing things with them which helps them explore nature,being there to nurse them back to health when ill and just enjoying one another. Those were the best days of my life and my grown children still bring up things they remembered that was special to them. Later on when they were near teens I went back to work and they became the parents but also didnt have the opportunity to do as I was able to. All had to work and pay others to care for their children.Many important roles for people that dont involve degrees and making money. Being a mother and raising your children to be respectful,kind, to do chores,nurture their talents. These are things that a father can only help with as he is the one making the living. You will get it when you one day have a child of your own and your life hopefully will be lived for your child. Its something to look forward to and alot more rewarding than a 9-5 job plus. Hang in there, your time will come and you will definitely remember we had this conversation and will know you have the most rewarding and sometimes the hardest job on the planet and some days you can even wear your jammies. Used to love the jammie days.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,949 times
My cousin has a Masters in Psychology and gave up her career to be the one to raise her kids. She's also going to home school them. She shops at thrift stores and does without all of the bells and whistles everybody "needs" in today's society. She has three little ones under the age of five. How many breaks a day do you think she gets?

Those of you with the "bon bon" mentality must be referring to the welfare crowd that pops out babies and throws them in to the streets to be raised.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
I've worked full time, stayed at home, and worked both full and part time with a small child. Certainly being home all the time is not the easy life of luxury that I imagined when I had never done it.

When my son was a baby, it was absolutely the hardest job I'd ever had. I mean, not many jobs make you work round the clock while never sleeping more than 2 hours at a time, if that, and barely having time to eat or use the bathroom. However, it would be hard to say that it was harder than the moms who still do all that at night but also go to work during the day.

When he got a little older, I went back to work part time. It was definitely a luxury at that point to be able to work only part time and be with him the rest of the time. It wasn't easy, childcare is work after all, that you can get paid for, but it was a lot easier than working a full day somewhere else and then seeing my child only at night, at least emotionally. And actually, working kind of felt like a little vacation.

By the time he went to school, I was working 30-40 hours a week again. I love my job, so it's not a hardship, but it's certainly not easier than being a full-time stay at home mom. I think it's about the same, but with more guilt. My stay at home friends are cooking big, healthy dinners every night and keeping their homes spotless, helping with homework, reading with their kids, and so on. My house is messy, we have frozen pizza more nights than I want to admit, and it's hard to keep up with homework because I am usually trying to get my own work done, or else I'm too tired to do much of anything. I don't think their "jobs" are any easier - personally, I find cooking, cleaning and general childcare really boring and tedious and I'd much rather go to work - but I do think they are just choosing one job over another.

So basically, I don't think either one is harder than the other. But those moms who have to work full-time and then some to support their kids, who don't have husbands in the picture or any help at home, those are the ones who have it the hardest. So I can see how one of those ladies might be annoyed by that comment. I really don't care what other people say about their own lives.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:43 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Putting "stay at home mom" on a resume is ridiculous. But people can describe their lives however the want. A brain surgeon can roll his eyes when the gas station attendant talks about how stressful his job is, but that doesn't mean that it's not stressful. It's just stressful in a different way; the gas station attendant likely has lots of worries (being held up, not being able to pay bills if he misses a day due to being sick, etc) that a brain surgeon simply does not have. It's the same thing with a working mom and a stay at home mom. Two different sets of stressors and jobs, along with lots of overlapping stressors and jobs.

But it's hard work. I've worked as a mom and stayed home as a mom. Hard to say which is more difficult. Being a mom is hard, period, whether you're a working mom or a SAHM.

Sorry, OP, but you really don't have a clue about it. That's not a character flaw; most of us didn't really get it before we had kids. It's usually best to keep quiet about things you don't know anything about, though, since if you do find yourself with children, you'll be eating lots of crow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment