Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,683,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
The op posted a question for discussion in a thoughtful, non confrontational way. Why don't you people answer in the same manner? To attack her as idiotic or being a know nothing shows your lack of maturity, not hers.

If you want to raise a family, that is a choice. Don't act like you are serving all of mankind. We raised 3 girls and, like many of you, sacrificed a lot to do it. Hard work for many years, but our choice. We never thought anyone owed us a round of applause for doing it. My wife also would say that there are no lunch breaks being at home w/kids, but she also realized that her time with them was so much more rewarding for her than my time at my job.

She knew several mothers with just 1 child, who stayed home past the grammar school years into high school. Now if anyone in that situation claims to have no free time, then the B.S. meter goes off big time.
Thoughtful and non confrontational? Maybe you need to go back and read what she wrote.

She puts down women who don't have college degrees, and is quite snarky with her remarks about how she wishes she had a husband who went out to work so she could sit home, implying that these women sit on their hineys all day watching soaps and eating chocolates.

There was nothing thoughtful or non confrontational about her post.

BTW, I though her name looked familiar, click on some of her other threads, she is hardly mature. Pages and pages going on about how someone from 5th grade won't talk to her on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 12:02 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,022,418 times
I've pretty much always worked, and when DS was born I stayed home for my full 12 weeks of maternity leave. That was TOUGH. I lost all my pregnancy weight (26 lbs) ONLY because I didn't have time to eat. And that was with an infant who couldn't even roll over. The first two weeks I was a zombie from lack of sleep. And as DS has gotten older it's gotten harder! He barely started sleeping through the night and he's 14 months old (thank you Jesus!). They didn't tell you most babies don't start sleeping through the night until 6 months, but my DS was one of the "special" kids who didn't start sleeping through the night until a year old...

Seriously going to work, getting to sit down and eat my lunch, please, working outside the home is WAY easier than being a SAHM! That being said, IF I could be a SAHM I'd do it in a heartbeat, I love my DS and want to be with him every waking moment. Being a SAHM is the hardest job of all but it is also the most rewarding.

Today DS figured out how to get on the table, so even though I had to take him off the table and say "no we don't climb on the table" I was proud he figured it out. But of course I do realize now I'm screwed...

Old 11-08-2015, 12:43 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,696,387 times
If a SAHM isn't a full time "job," what is it then? It's certainly a life occupation that incurs never-ending work. It's more difficult to be at home rearing children and attend to the household than it is to know what your scheduled workday at the office will be. I don't get annoyed when SAHM's describe their roles as FT jobs. I get envious, because the modern workplace is a pit I wish I could get out of. IMO, it's not a place of fulfillment. I mean, if I were a mother I'd have to work and it would suck to me to make that balancing act. If I was in my deathbed, I won't be thinking about how I was in such a high-powered career being important at the office.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:49 AM

947 posts, read 925,202 times
Being a stay-at-home-parent is a very big job for parents who are serious about it, and try to be the best parent they can be. But it's not that hard for lazy parents who prop the kids up in front of the TV all day. Like many jobs, the difficulty depends on how dedicated you are.

Anybody can raise children. Some people like to say that they raise themselves. But the way you raise them can have a huge impact on how they turn out. The job is easier if you don't care.

Also remember that each child is different. Some are very easy to raise, and some are very difficult. My sister had 2 girls, and raised both the same. The elder was extremely difficult (and still is as an adult) , and the younger was very easy.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:04 AM

908 posts, read 963,649 times
i have kids and i really don't think being a SAHM is a "job." Jobs=Payment. Jobs=Hiring Process. some say SAHM is being a FT mom but does that mean when their kids go to school they become a PT mom? every mom is a FT mom.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:17 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,138,744 times
I just can't stand it when sahps say they don't want daycare to "raise" their kids...do they not realize how ignorant and insulting that is? Parents who work outside the home don't stop being parents or raising their kids because they are gainfully employed.

It is the sanctimommy attitude that so many sahms have that annoys me.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:03 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,127,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Why did you feel the need to use yet another stereotype with your last sentence?
Because I was referring to the stereotype picture of the woman posted, but not eating bon bons. (1st stereotype)

Because every woman I've ever known that chose to stay home sacrificed financially to do so. I'm sorry that I offended you with the welfare stereotype because I'm sure there's a tiny percentage of women in that category that do parent their children properly.

I not only did all of my jobs, but also what my husband should have been doing as a father and a spouse and that includes when I would work 70 hours a week.

Salary.com's 14th Annual Mom Salary Survey - Salary.com

Forbes Welcome

Old 11-08-2015, 05:20 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,743,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I don't understand these people that act like victims for raising kids. It's like someone force to have kids.

Didn't these peoples signed up voluntarily?
Well, most jobs are signed up for voluntarily. Soldiers and police officers and teachers and ER doctors all have difficult jobs that they CHOSE. These hardworking people can love their jobs and still acknowledge that they're difficult and that they even suck at times.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:32 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,999,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How could you possibly be annoyed about something you know nothing about and have no experience in?
People can be annoyed about lots of things they know nothing about and have no experience in, and have every right to feel that way. For instance, people criticize politicians all the time. We have zero experience in politics, yet we feel justified in criticizing their decisions and lives as politicians. But moms often have a very high and mighty attitude about motherhood. "I'm a mother, therefore I make so many more sacrifices in my life than you, so you have no right to critize me or my decisions." Motherhood is a choice which involves many sacrifices. Nonmoms have their own responsibilities, but they are just less visible and viewed as less important by society.

Working a job is often more difficult because most employees have little or no flexibility with scheduling, there are commutes, sometimes long ones, the employee has to do what the boss says, and the employee has to work with all sorts of people, and many of them are unpleasant individuals. Plus there is often a dress code and an additional expense associated with that. Lastly, there is always the possibility of getting fired and that can cause great anxiety. SAHM has an important job. But it's a very different job than working for a paycheck, has little similarity to working at a traditional company, and doesn't seem appropriate for a resume, IMO. In an interview, however, discussing it would make more sense.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:49 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,740,713 times
It annoyed the crap out of me when my daughter was little. I was working full time (50+ hours a week) AND did everything a "stay-at-home" mom does --- cooking,cleaning, laundry (Laundromat), grocery shopping, taking her to activities (I worked nights), etc etc etc.

I would have GLADLY traded places with any "stay at home mom" who thought her "job" was so hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment