Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:14 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,036,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Anyone else witnessed this phenomenon?

"I'm completely swamped with work for the rest of the month"

but they come in late, spend most of their time in meetings or socializing with other coworkers, then leave early.
BUt do they get their work done? Isn't that all that really matters? If they are more efficient or better organized than you, and get their work done with time to spare, what's the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:32 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Quote:
Anyone else witnessed this phenomenon?

"I'm completely swamped with work for the rest of the month"

but they come in late, spend most of their time in meetings or socializing with other coworkers, then leave early.
Who cares?

I mean, if they're directly causing YOU a problem, then I can understand why you'd be pissed.

But if it isn't DIRECTLY affecting you... then mind your own business. Nobody likes a piker.

Personally I work at my own pace. What other people do has very little bearing on me. I get more done than 90% of my co-workers (there ARE a few freaks who do more work than I do... but they're outliers)... and I'm ok with that. I work just to avoid boredom for the most part.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:00 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
I don´t know how anybody not directly working with me could tell if I am busy or not.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:15 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,745 times
You read my mind.

I work in a lawfirm. I had worked in several others too in the past years. It's busy work. There are deadlines, hearings, depositions, talking to clients, etc... the list goes on. And yet, instead of working like they should (attorneys and support staff alike), most don't give a crap.

Example: every day, the sane group of coworkers would come in, clock in, spend an hour in the breakroom loudly chatting/having breakfast, goes back to their desks, some goes downstairs to other departments, the remaining would get up every other hour to chat some more about a new dress/purse whatever that they are looking at. Lunch break starts after they go out for 30 minutes to pick up food. The lunch break lasts 2 hours. Afterwards, more chatting, etc.

How do I know this? They are freaking loud and next to my desk.

Complaints from those who actually are trying to work goes to deaf ears. Remember what I said about lazy attorneys? They usually are the manager as well. In this case, our managing attorney who is required by headquarters to work and be present at the office is out 3 out of 5 days of the work. By the way, only 2 attorneys in my office works at the office and at home. The rest including the manager doesn't give a crap. So the cases don't move like they should, deadlines are missed, and putting out our own fires are embarrassing.

In light of all this, I just dealt with it until recently, when I was given all the files one of the lazy coworkers had so I can fix HER mistakes. She did not get even as much as a talk from the manager, just told to answer the phones only until i fixed all her mistakes. Now, you know what, eff it. I am going to drag my feet too.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:30 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Personally I have a bunch of work to do and have made little progress. I had lots of meetings that broke up my day and the task I have requires a few hours of absolute focus. I find when I have those types of tasks it is really hard to get done, and they get put off, due to schedule.
Lord yes. We have more mandatory meetings than a dog has fleas. We even have meetings to plan the meetings. Most of which are caused by managers who have nothing to do, so they create meetings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
BUt do they get their work done? Isn't that all that really matters? If they are more efficient or better organized than you, and get their work done with time to spare, what's the problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Who cares?

I mean, if they're directly causing YOU a problem, then I can understand why you'd be pissed.

But if it isn't DIRECTLY affecting you... then mind your own business. Nobody likes a piker.

The point is, they do affect others in the office. Like the managers I mentioned above that create meetings and request pointless reports so they look like they are doing something, the people who don't do their work create work for others. They create that work several ways. One is from the boss, "Jane, I need you to do all the TPS reports for the office so they get in on time." Never mind that Jane's coworkers are the ones who should be doing their TPS reports, since they aren't Jane gets to do her work and theirs too.

Or, like many jobs today, your work depends on someone else. You can only get so far with your TPS report because you need inputs from Larry, Moe, and Curly and since you are the last person in the chain before the boss, the boss fusses at you when the report is late, yet you have no power to make Larry, Moe, and Curly do their part.

So yes, these slugs do very much affect the actual workers in the department.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:24 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Lord yes. We have more mandatory meetings than a dog has fleas. We even have meetings to plan the meetings. Most of which are caused by managers who have nothing to do, so they create meetings.
^ This is the type of stuff I'm talking about haha

Some people figure out how to make their entire days into firing off emails in between meetings. It makes sense that people in high up management positions would have a schedule like that, but I see worker bees doing it. The actual work gets picked up by other worker bees or is done lazily last-minute.

I believe I'm one of the only white collar workers in the world who is capable of doing 40 hours of heads-down work in a week.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:45 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
I believe I'm one of the only white collar workers in the world who is capable of doing 40 hours of heads-down work in a week.

That's why I love the week between Christmas and New Year. I'm often the only one in the office and I can get more productive work done that week than the other 51 weeks. Often use it to work on those important-but-not-urgent projects that get shoved aside during the daily firefighting of most offices.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
It's always easy to think you know what other people are doing.

I spent many years of my life in corporate communications departments as a writer of speeches, presentations, brochures, reports, corporate magazines, etc. I wasn't in the business for long before I came to understand that people who don't write well think writing is nothing more than glorified typing. My employers, who were MBAs and engineers, would say "I need X" and expect the writer to produce it in little more time than it would take to create a Word document and print it out. The other hilarious thing they would do is hand me a giant pile of scribblings and a mess of old printed material and say, "I have to make a presentation to a client about this, I just need you to wordsmith it for me." Just? And you need it when?

I'm sure there are lot of people in my company who thought I wasn't doing anything when I was THINKING. Or on the phone doing research, or visiting some far-flung department to check someone's figures, or in the corporate library reading so I could know what I was talking about when I wrote something.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:07 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
I always wonder what some of my coworkers do when they say they are 'so busy'. Makes no sense to me.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:43 PM

483 posts, read 692,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yeah, so to heck with those lying sacks who claim to be busy all of the time. I've said it for years: We could cut out about 80% of the people in any office, keep the 20% who actually work, do the work correctly, and the office would suffer zero loss in productivity.
Heck, I'd say you'd get more work done in most offices, because the diligent 20% would also spare yourself being distracted by the tittle-tattle of the 80% spending their days talking to their coworkers about the food they eat, what they watched on TV last night, etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment