Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:06 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,812 times

Advertisements

I can see this because I'm living it now. We have to research client issues, provide solutions, provide estimates of work effort, create test plans, requirements documents, and spend a LOT of time on the phone on conference calls, sometimes early in the morning with time zone differences.

At any given time, I may be looking at my monitor thinking, scribbling thoughts or notes on paper, reading documentation, or speaking on the phone. When I'm talking to my co-workers in the office, its talking about a complex problem in order to get a fresh opinion. Walking by, you may not think I'm doing anything unless you're in the know. In our group, we really are at our busiest when it looks like we aren't doing much.

Just recently a group assigned to a high profile, tight deadline project all worked from home so they wouldn't be distracted at the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
I can see this because I'm living it now. We have to research client issues, provide solutions, provide estimates of work effort, create test plans, requirements documents, and spend a LOT of time on the phone on conference calls, sometimes early in the morning with time zone differences.

At any given time, I may be looking at my monitor thinking, scribbling thoughts or notes on paper, reading documentation, or speaking on the phone. When I'm talking to my co-workers in the office, its talking about a complex problem in order to get a fresh opinion. Walking by, you may not think I'm doing anything unless you're in the know. In our group, we really are at our busiest when it looks like we aren't doing much.

Just recently a group assigned to a high profile, tight deadline project all worked from home so they wouldn't be distracted at the office.
Yes, it never occurs to some people that when co-workers are standing in the hall talking, they might be talking about work. (Especially when the workers are two or more women, which is another story but quite similar.) That's the primary reason a lot of companies don't want everyone working from home. Many a great idea has been developed, or problem solved, by co-workers just standing around talking extemporaneously about their situations.

I remember being in an editorial meeting once where one of my co-workers was complaining about someone in the graphic design department. "Every time I go in there he's talking on the phone." The boss replied, "Maybe he's on the phone with vendors. He's responsible for a lot of work that's outsourced." The guy insisted, "Oh, no, it's always personal." To which the boss responded, "So why do YOU have time to stand at his desk every day listening to his phone conversations? Don't I give you enough to do?"

You better believe that was the last time he ever complained to her about someone slacking off.

I'm sure there are plenty of goof-offs in offices from coast-to-coast. But sooner or later it's bound to become apparently if an employee's productivity is not normal.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 PM

240 posts, read 452,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Anyone else witnessed this phenomenon?

"I'm completely swamped with work for the rest of the month"

but they come in late, spend most of their time in meetings or socializing with other coworkers, then leave early.
they are going to wish they were busy when automation takes over their jobs

Old 03-12-2016, 07:59 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Many years ago, one of my fellow employees had a daily Far Side calendar on his desk. I would wander over when I had a chance and take a quick look at it. One day I stuck my nose into the calendar, only to realize he was balancing his check book. I did not look at his checkbook, of course, and was embarrassed. After this happened a second time, I determined to pay attention to what he was doing before looking at the calendar.

My father died, and my mother is demented, so I handle her finances as well as mine. My coworker was spending more time balancing his checkbook on company time than I spend balancing my checkbook, my mother's checkbook, paying my bills, and paying my mother's bills combined. All of which I do on my own time, by the way.

After he retired, his replacement was immediately given additional job responsibilities.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Anyone else witnessed this phenomenon?

"I'm completely swamped with work for the rest of the month"

but they come in late, spend most of their time in meetings or socializing with other coworkers, then leave early.
This is who I want to emulate
Attached Thumbnails
Office workers who claim to be busy all the time, but don't seem to be-wally.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment