Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
I was on my way to someone's desk at my job to ask a question and then I was told..."she's not here anymore they let her go" So I'm like....why and when? I just hate hearing someone was canned without knowing the reason. I'm still trying to find out the reason so i can have less anxiety. I just started my 3rd year at the job and want to be here for a while so I can continue to save.

Anyone get anxiety once someone is let go?
If a team member separates for personal reasons, performance reasons, or better opportunities elsewhere, he or she should not be a reason for anxiety. If the organization is having to reduce workforce and terminates team members to be more efficient, anxiety is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 08:55 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default I pretty much always phone them, if contactable

Quote:
I was on my way to someone's desk at my job to ask a question and then I was told..."she's not here anymore they let her go" So I'm like....why and when? I just hate hearing someone was canned without knowing the reason. I'm still trying to find out the reason so i can have less anxiety. I just started my 3rd year at the job and want to be here for a while so I can continue to save.

As far as people I've worked with and developed with for YEARS, if they're dismissed/leave I'd give them a call. Almost no one does. We usually don't talk about the why's but converse about if they need a reference, any task or favour they might want done after the fact. If I have mileage with these people it's almost always a change in the guard or company focus and never about them specifically.

So I phone and give them an ear if they want to say anything. Sometimes it comes back to me with good information I didn't know about.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:02 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:

Yep. Used to bother me a lot.
I was never worried about my job. I usually got the available promotions, and was always top salesman or in a salaried position, but for some reason I found it unsettling except in the cases where someone was clearly asking for it.

Maybe the reason I found it unsettling is because of the effect it would have on the rest of the staff, like you. These days it would be hard to call everyone together after the firing and explain what was going on, but years ago it wasn't like that. We used to fire-and-explain, now they just fire-and-ignore. Poor management, I think.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:32 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Depends on the reason. Were I work someone was recently let go for incompetence. I knew it was coming, I wasn't surprised at all. I used to work at a government agency as a contractor, a co-worker on my team was laid off, I thought their position was very secure, I was surprised and very concerned I could be next. Caused a lot of anxiety for me over the next couple months. I heard about employees in other departments that were told that there job was eliminated when they came to work, pack their stuff and get out, no notice at all. I survived the first couple rounds of layoffs, but eventually it was my turn. At least they laid me off in a nice way, they gave me 9 weeks notice. My supervisor told me don't worry about doing any work, just spend all your time looking for another job. Took me 6 weeks to get a comparable paying position, the job didn't start for 4 weeks. I spent the last three weeks going to work, swiping/signing in then went to the beach all day.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 AM

403 posts, read 472,984 times
All this has done was create more work for everyone else.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:49 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:

No, They fire people at my work for getting written up and we hear of this occurring often. I just keep doing my job and complaining when I feel like it....The ones they fire are 1. Lazy 2. Stealing

Old 01-14-2016, 11:52 AM

510 posts, read 500,548 times
Yep. My company laid-off a bunch of people last year, some of who were at the company for a long time and others who were relatively new. It was like they were playing a game of balloon and darts while blindfolded. Every time it happened people were worried they would be next. Its definitely not an irrational fear to have.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:46 PM

924 posts, read 752,195 times
I wouldn't say "anxiety", more like "surprise" - happened a few years back that a longtime co-worker just wasn't working there anymore, our then-management was either unable or unwilling to give details on what happened.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:59 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Your timing is amazing...
Yesterday, a co-worker and personal friend of mine, got shown the exit door.
He was our IT lead and one heck of a great guy... Not just my opinion, everybody loves him...
He and I used to go to lunch at LEAST once a week for the past 3 years. He recently got promoted, and his work load has caused him to not be able to go to lunch with me (or anyone else). We talk, but he's become more and more distant - I've asked if he's upset with me and always get 'no, of course not' as a reply, but he's just not the same of late. Day before yesterday, I passed by his office and stopped to chat for a few. He seemed to be way out of touch. Very distant - I almost got the feeling as if he wanted to kick me out of his office - it was very unlike my friend, who we'll call 'Sam'....

Yesterday I came back to my desk to find a voice mail that Sam had left me. He said that he wanted to be the one to tell me that he got let go. That his 'distance' that he'd put between us was because of what was going on and he didn't want to let it out before it happened (it being his termination).

Depressed doesn't come close to how hearing his termination let me feel. He's the best tech I've ever known, bar none. I'd say that even if we weren't friends... why the company let him go is still a mystery to me - and won't ever be solved even after hearing it from him or upper management.

So, to answer your question, Yes - it's caused me anxiety hearing of my co-workers demise, but, I know that Sam will bounce back quickly, and he's already scheduled for us to have lunch early next week - when I'm sure I'll hear all of what's been going on that until now, I've been shut out from.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, it is actually a very good tactic that some companies use, they occasionally give someone the boot and it kicks every one else into high gear.

Bet you are working a little harder now, aren't you ?

Don
Your lack of concern for your fellow man is touching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment