Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:41 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,647 times

Advertisements

This weekend the northeast is expected to see record snowfall and blizzard conditions. I am a born and raised Floridian who has only lived up north one year and I am NOT used to driving in winter weather. That said, I am scheduled to work tomorrow from 6pm to 11pm at a restaurant and I am frankly very very nervous about getting home as the snow is supposed to start around sundown and my area is forecast to get 2 ft of snow. I do not want to get stranded at work either. Am I being paranoid? Can anyone give me some advice? Should I risk the drive or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 PM

3,326 posts, read 1,960,636 times
Default I personally wouldn't go but....

Will the restaurant be busy during this storm and what would be the likelihood of earning decent tips?
If no one is coming out to this restaurant in a dangerous storm the risk of being stranded may not be worth it.
In any case, look out for yourself.
Perhaps discuss it with the manager they may even close the place due to customers not being able to get there.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:58 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Only you can answer that question. a lot depends on your driving skills in snow, on your vehicle, on the road conditions, type of roads, history of road clearing, etc., etc., etc.

You also have to research your state laws/regulations regarding such weather conditions. In some states, certain declarations such as a State of Emergency or specific Travel Restrictions can make getting to or from work impossible and even illegal.

In the end, you have to make the decision as to how important you safety is to you.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:13 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
I agree with what has been said.

OP, also, is your insurance good enough that if you get into a wreck where your car is totaled and you are hospitalized, you'll be okay financially? If not, call off.

Some jobs simply don't pay enough for that sort of risk, plus if you aren't an "essential employee," like a doctor, why should you risk your car and body for this job?

It's one thing to have a good work ethic, but it's also important to put your bottom line first.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:33 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,039 times
You live in the northeast! Snow is a fact of life, and the world doesn't stop when it does. That is something you might want to get used to. Where you were born and raised is of no consequence. You don't live there now.

As far as this storm, it is predicted to be pretty big. It is probably best for you to talk to your manager and see if you will be needed - or even if the restaurant will still be open. You may be worrying for nothing. More than likely, they'll be open initially, but will close if the storm comes to fruition.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 PM

I sadly don't get tips, it is a deli in a convenience store. Sadly with these lower rung jobs there is a total lack of understanding. They just want you there period. I know I wouldn't get fired but they would probably insist I come in, there was talk of the store manager even picking policy up but I hate being without my car, plus I would have to get a ride home. I just know I will be in big trouble if I call in. I am a cancer patient and the two times I missed work I had doctor excuses and it didn't matter, I was reprimanded and had my hours cut and I'm barely getting by as it is.

By the way, my state is under both a state of emergency and a winter storm warning. I am not too worried about getting there as the storm is going to be starting when I go to work. It's the getting home that has me worried.

I do know no one can make this decision for me. I just wanted to see what others thought, if this was a dangerous situation or if I am worrying for nothing.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
You live in the northeast! Snow is a fact of life, and the world doesn't stop when it does. That is something you might want to get used to. Where you were born and raised is of no consequence. You don't live there now.

As far as this storm, it is predicted to be pretty big. It is probably best for you to talk to your manager and see if you will be needed - or even if the restaurant will still be open. You may be worrying for nothing. More than likely, they'll be open initially, but will close if the storm comes to fruition.
I agree that my driving skills are of little importance as far as my employer is concerned, however this is not a regular snow storm. We are open 24/7 365 so I seriously doubt we would ever close unless the building was severely damaged.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:00 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Restaurants are non essential so I can't see them insisting you show up, but if they do then insist on them providing the transportation and ask if they have a back up plan in the event that you are unable to get home (our company will provide a hotel room if workers get stranded due to impassable roads).
Getting a ride is not a big deal if your manager is willing to provide it both ways, it's not like you'll want to be out driving around on your own on your break anyway is it? If you do go in be prepared, maybe take a small overnight bag, just in case, toothbrush, meds, extra socks, etc .

Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
This weekend the northeast is expected to see record snowfall and blizzard conditions. I am a born and raised Floridian who has only lived up north one year and I am NOT used to driving in winter weather. That said, I am scheduled to work tomorrow from 6pm to 11pm at a restaurant and I am frankly very very nervous about getting home as the snow is supposed to start around sundown and my area is forecast to get 2 ft of snow. I do not want to get stranded at work either. Am I being paranoid? Can anyone give me some advice? Should I risk the drive or not?
Did you go?

I wouldn't have gone, esp since you're scared about it.

I'm from the Gulf Coast and moved to Dallas, which has snow and bad ice a couple or so times a year. I was a very dedicated worker at a law firm, but I couldn't make it in to work a few times when others did, because of the kind of car I drove, and my inexperience at driving on ice and in snow.

It takes longer than a year to get used to driving in that stuff, and the kind of vehicle you have, and your tires, make a difference. You don't want to risk your life or risk totalling your car.

You'll have to get used to it, though, given where you live now. If you can't handle it, maybe get an office job, where your absence isn't as big as deal as for a restaurant.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:03 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
By the way, my state is under both a state of emergency and a winter storm warning. I am not too worried about getting there as the storm is going to be starting when I go to work. It's the getting home that has me worried.
Where I live, if it is that bad, they will officially close roads. That means no one is legally allowed to be on XYZ roads unless they fall under a certain umbrella. They did this because even though they are pretty good at snow removal/salting roads where I live, there have been times during blizzards where people have been completely stranded, resulting in cars stuck all over the streets, highways, etc. because even though they were told they shouldn't drive, they did. So now they say, "YOU CAN'T."

It only matters if you are working in life or death situations. If you are an employee of a hospital, they can either mandate people to stay or make you come in WAY before your shift. I have driven to work in the snow every time except one time where they officially closed the roads. Someone had to stay for me and then I had to come in and work for them the next day. Then again, I am not just driving a few miles---I have about twenty-five miles to go.

All that being said, what your boss decides is another thing. With some bosses, even if the city says that it is illegal for you to drive, they'll still insist you somehow magically get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment