Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:02 PM

71 posts, read 58,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
What is sulking and complaining gonna fix? Yeah everyone deserves a chance to vent frustrations, but the OP asked for advice and that's what she's getting. I guarantee more than a few of the responders have been through multiple rough patches in life that seemed hopeless, myself included. Throwing pity parties never solved anyone's problems though.

Check it out, OP. At the end of the day, the road to success isn't easy or everyone would be successful. Either you want it bad enough and you learn to motivate yourself through all the bs that gets thrown your way, or you continue with this same train of thought and suck at life. The ball is in your court.

By the way, I graduated high school by the skin of my teeth with a GPA lower than yours. I'm not even thirty, but creeping up to a six figure annual salary. I'm currently attending school full time on top of work, and I have a spouse + two kids. If you don't want to pay for school, there are ways to get around it. But it's quid pro quo.
It will not fix anything, but everyone have the right to do it once in their freaking life, Jesus Christ. You guys act like she has made 50,000 threads sulking and complaining. Jesus Christ, you guys act like she has several pity threads on here. So quick to freaking judge with your condescending attitudes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:48 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
@OP
make a list of what you'd like to do. What you can do as alternatives, and what you'd want to avoid. For me, I couldn't do hard labor for long. Hard math, sciences, and engineering was going to be tough. Teaching was suggested, but putting up with relatively low pay, dealing with kids... I'd only be in it for the $$, which wouldn't pan out too well. I ended up opting in IT. It can get stressful, but the pay is much better without dealing with kids. For you, assess how viable those paths are, and plan a route as to how you'll get there. When did college, I did attend seminars and stuff, and was alerted to trying to seek internships your junior and senior year. I'm not sure I want to go back for my Masters. For you, consider a 2-year degree as well. I'd be wary of "for profit schools" like Trident or Devry. They've done well for some people, but poorly for a good # of others too. See what those programs offer, their cirriculums, and what types of jobs grads are getting.

Otherwise, consider certifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Faith in GA View Post
So, we judge people character solely on a moment of frustration??
I won't. However, an employer may. Being frustrated is fine, but definitely don't let it show (despite the irony of being frustrating means you may not get the job, but getting the job means you won't be frustrated anymore). Hell, every time, I'm asked why I want the job, I think to myself "because I want a salary and benefits", but of course you tell them stuff like you're interested in the position, how they fit your skillset, blah blah blah. FWIW, through all the charade, I'm sure they know that we do a job, we get paid. It's not really unlike them, where if something doesn't make sense financially, they change course

Old 02-04-2016, 01:53 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Ohh, there have been suggestions like joining the military. It's not something you'd want to jump on for sure, nor is it something you'd want to write off either. Some good benefits, room, board, teaching you skills, and military trained folks have a special appeal for some employers. However, it's also dangerous, and some folks aren't cut out for it, even if they want to do it. Besides phsycial shape, the military has been trimming down in favor of more special forces and the like

Also, stories about how folks overcome adversary back in 1989, or otherwise 20 years ago are inspiring. However, note that in 2016, not all of it will apply, so use parts of it to adapt to your work habits and inspiration, but they likely can't be followed directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
P.S. I understand why she doesn't want to fool with Sally Mae. I am fortunate that I came out of school with no student loans because of my home state's generous hope scholarship and pell grant but I do know some of my classmates with loans and their payments run them $300-500 a month. Ouch! That's a car payment on a really nice car and I understand why the OP doesn't want to borrow money for school.
A documentary mentioned how Pell grants used to cover 110% or so of tuition. Now, it only covers 44% of it.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:05 AM

98 posts, read 100,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrex View Post
So I am 25 years old and have always had what would be considered menial jobs such as cashier, waitress, cook, etc.

I feel very depressed about it. I have visited the forums on here a bit and read about getting 401Ks, retirement savings, promotions. vacations etc, but in all the jobs I have had there were no such things. Yeah people will say oh go to college but it is always so expensive and frankly I hate school and school work. I graduated with a 2.5 GPA and REALLY don't want to go into debt just to pay off some greedy mofos and their friends. I recently ended a relationship with a man and I am single. Is it at all possible to get a decent job where you get paid well while not having to spend fun money to greedy pieces of **** for half your life?
Perhaps things will change when obama is out of office and jobs will open up.
in the mean time be thankful for the menial jobs that are available.
At least they put food on the table.
vote for Trump, things will change, he is a business man and things will get better.
good luck, have patience, getting upset doesnt help

Madera

Old 02-04-2016, 02:28 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Consider getting a 2-year degree at a local community or tech college versus an expensive 4-year degree.

Or you can go to a secretarial school and then look for an admin assistant job. Some secretarial schools even offer job placement opportunities upon finishing their program. Admin salaries can start as low as $25K, but depending on where you live, you may get a starting salary in the mid-$40s too.

You could also consider getting an A.S. in paralegal studies and get a job at a law firm. Or you could get a 2-year degree in a healthcare related field such as radiologic tech.

Those types of programs are good options for those who can't afford to go to school full-time for a 4-year degree but are looking for a way to jump start having a career versus being "stuck" in non-career jobs.

BUT, I'll also add that I had a friend that started as a security guard at a bank and is now a Senior Vice President of Security for a Fortune 500 company. I have another friend that started as a cashier at a grocery store and is now the Regional Manager for 10-12 stores with the same company. Lastly, I have a friend that started as a check-in person at a small hotel chain and is now a Managing Director at one of the top $$$ hotels in the Washington, DC area. However, it took them 10-15 years to work their way up their ladders to get to the levels they achieved. It doesn't come overnight, and it doesn't come easily. Those three guys all worked VERY HARD to get where they are now.

So if you think bigger, you can achieve something, even when "stuck" in a seemingly dead-end job.

Good luck to you!
Secretarial school? Is that still a thing?

And these stories about people who start at the bottom and work their way up to the corner office are not helping. Those people are outliers. Giving the OP false hope and fairy stories is not going to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Ohh, there have been suggestions like joining the military. It's not something you'd want to jump on for sure, nor is it something you'd want to write off either. Some good benefits, room, board, teaching you skills, and military trained folks have a special appeal for some employers. However, it's also dangerous, and some folks aren't cut out for it, even if they want to do it. Besides phsycial shape, the military has been trimming down in favor of more special forces and the like

Also, stories about how folks overcome adversary back in 1989, or otherwise 20 years ago are inspiring. However, note that in 2016, not all of it will apply, so use parts of it to adapt to your work habits and inspiration, but they likely can't be followed directly.

A documentary mentioned how Pell grants used to cover 110% or so of tuition. Now, it only covers 44% of it.
Thank you.. I'm reading this thread wondering if people know that it's 2016.

OP,

You need to have something that companies want to make good money. Unfortunately, it is harder than ever in today's economy. Your post is full of what you don't want.

What DO you want? If it's money and benefits, then again, you have to have something that employers want. Find out what the employers around you want and go from there.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:52 AM

212 posts, read 335,592 times
Quote:
I hate dealing with customers.
Until you figure out a way to get over that hatred, you will have a real tough time making money in the workforce.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:47 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Faith in GA View Post
So, we judge people character solely on a moment of frustration??
When you start saying that you don't like working with people and a bunch of random crap, you're just begging for someone to call you out.

I've made some mistakes like the OP but I'm looking to turn my life around. I'm not getting into the 'woe is me' crap because in the end, its not helping me.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:51 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Bottom line is you need a degree in todays world - a degree in something real - not general business or philosophy - and then you MIGHT get lucky enough to get a good job. Its dog eat dog out there - start busting your butt now before its too late.
I disagree to a point.

You need a marketable skill first, and a degree second - often the lack of a degree won't get you past the gatekeepers in recruiting/HR.

It is quite possible to get an accredited (i.e. legit, not a diploma mill) 4 year degree for well under $10K if you know how to go about it and aren't too picky about "name brand" schools. I know because I did it myself.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:47 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
So I am 25 years old and have always had what would be considered menial jobs such as cashier, waitress, cook, etc.

I feel very depressed about it. I have visited the forums on here a bit and read about getting 401Ks, retirement savings, promotions. vacations etc, but in all the jobs I have had there were no such things. Yeah people will say oh go to college but it is always so expensive and frankly I hate school and school work. I graduated with a 2.5 GPA and REALLY don't want to go into debt just to pay off some greedy mofos and their friends. I recently ended a relationship with a man and I am single. Is it at all possible to get a decent job where you get paid well while not having to spend fun money to greedy pieces of **** for half your life?

Have you considered joining the military? You can earn a good living, travel the world, and learn a marketable skill. You're better off joining the Air Force or the Navy. Those two branches have the greatest number of marketable job skills - or you could get some education in the service (free) and go for a federal civil service job.... and you're not going to risk becoming a professional gunslinger or kicking in doors in Iraq like you would if you signed up for the Army or the Marines. Which is great if somebody WANTS to be a soldier or Marine more than anything else in the world.

... think about it. The clock is ticking.

You've got the right idea on college loans. DO NOT rack up debt getting a degree. Especially a worthless degree. Come up with a better strategy.... I'm tellin' you... the military is a great way to get started.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:55 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times
Quote:

well, since you identify it as depressive is a good start.. vast majority are happy with living in mediocrity. use that as a motivation to get into something.. invest in yourself, via education and pursue opportunities. why many don't get there is cos they simply don't try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment