Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 08:53 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
To OP: I know you're not generalizing but I hope you realize that immigrants also have college degrees, qualifications, and perhaps work two or more times harder than those who aren't immigrants.
Exactly how do you know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:32 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Exactly how do you know that?
I was thinking the exact same thing.

There seems to be a misconception that "immigrants work harder than Americans".

You sure it isn't the fact that employers have been forcefully extorting employees because of the rules surrounding the H1B visa program?

If you had the choice to work another 20 hours this week, or get deported, what would you pick?

I have no problem with the H1B program, but if employers use it, they should be forced to pay the immigrant employee more than the highest paid worker of the same level and they should have the ability to work for someone else, just like an American citizen.

It sounds crazy, but it actually creates a more level playing field for the American worker.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
The making of the American melting pot was through people immigrating.For those now here to treat the continuing incoming flow of immigrants with disdain sounds rather pompous and elitist.
To the op perhaps you didnt immigrate here but somewhere through your lineage some one immigrated here,would you have wanted them to be labeled with a derogatory term of immigrant? and would you want to be labeled the offspring of immigrants a veritable anchor baby descendant ?.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:37 AM

130 posts, read 130,560 times
In my hometown pretty much every job that pays between minimum wage and $12 an hour is done by an immigrant. It's really tough for unskilled white people.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:04 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The making of the American melting pot was through people immigrating.For those now here to treat the continuing incoming flow of immigrants with disdain sounds rather pompous and elitist.
True. However, at the same time we recognize such realities, we also have to recognize that things have changed and that immigrants represent part of the leveling of the field. When the field is leveled, it brings some low portions up to grade and brings some high portions down to grade. That prospect is quite scary to some people.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
In my hometown pretty much every job that pays between minimum wage and $12 an hour is done by an immigrant. It's really tough for unskilled white people.
You do realize there are plenty of American citizens, born right here, who aren't 'white' (Caucasian)?

Old 02-13-2016, 11:13 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
Good question..IMO, then maybe the folks in your town need to boycott those busineses that don't hire American born workers, which includes people of ALL races who are born here.

No disrespect here, but white Americans aren't the only ones suffering from this.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:37 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
To the op perhaps you didnt immigrate here but somewhere through your lineage some one immigrated here,would you have wanted them to be labeled with a derogatory term of immigrant? and would you want to be labeled the offspring of immigrants a veritable anchor baby descendant ?.
There were enough jobs to go around back then. Not so much now given the swaths of the job market eliminated by automation and offshoring. There is just not room for more people here.

In addition to limiting immigration, I would support a 1 child limit for everyone (obviously excepting twins, etc). The US needs to reverse population growth in the future.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
This isn't about elitism or protectionism, it's about fighting exploitation or modern day slavery. Supposedly a large group of undocumented aliens were to invade your job sector. Not only are they lower pay but does a terrible job but now you are put in charge of making them better. If these are the finest immigrants that have unique skills and qualifications then I have nothing but praise.

This is your modern day slavery, these immigrant workers are here because they want our money because it's more valuable than their currency. And by prolonging their stay here they can apply for social services and to bring more of their relatives here to collect social services without being a productive tax payer.

The day will come when the big companies have it their way with the government that they open up the flood gate and instantly your company decides it's time to cut you loose as you've been priced out of the job. The day will come if this entire process isn't mitigated. The immigrants will continue to come here until their country catches us in living standards and then they become our competitor.

China became a superpower thanks to America, we give them our technology, money, and jobs. Now we cry and whine that China wants to be like us?

Old 02-13-2016, 10:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
While there are some that are good, the majority that I've encountered at multiple job sites are at best just barely capable than your US HS kids. Because there is a communicate gap and motivation difference. Most of H1B1 that work in IT are just trained to do a few repetitive tasks and no more. The good ones gets trained to operate more but majority are just repetitive workers.

The whole reason that I still have a job because these fortune 500 companies use so many brainless workers that can't think or process I have to available to assist them. All of the problems that I have encountered are actually not very technical or difficult at all that I am 100% certain that any US college student can handle.

So I don't fully agree that these H1B1 workers are brighter than we are.
In low-skilled jobs like masonry, plumbing, and IT, that may be the case. If you read my previous posts, I was referring to areas of engineering, science, and technology where the pool of people available in foreign nations (primarily Asian nations) is so large that they have more competent people to offer than we do in the U.S. Sure, we let in incompetent people here and there, but the vast majority are competent and here to fill a gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment