Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 11:59 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This is a major reason I'm voting for Bernie Sanders. He is the only candidate who's demonstrated any interest in protecting Americans' jobs.

No he's not. Trump has as well. It's a big reason he wants to limit illegal immigration and H1B programs. Sanders also supports open borders and amnesty which will further drive down wages for American workers. You can argue over whose ideas would be more effective but you can't argue that Sanders is the only one seriously addressing the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 12:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Where are you seeing these immigrants at work? I live in a city with a high immigrant population. They do manual labor (construction, groundskeeping) or janitorial work or work for Walmart. They don't work in fast food, they don't fix my car, they don't work at the regular grocery stores. With the exception of the medical field, and IT, They certainly aren't doing higher end work that requires a degree.

If you took the immigrants out of IT and the hospitals, they would cease to function. There just aren't enough native americans willing to do the work.

If you don't want immigrants to work in the USA, don't patronize businesses that hire them.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:08 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,659,380 times
Seems like this would be better if it were in the Politics forum.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
If you took the immigrants out of IT and the hospitals, they would cease to function. There just aren't enough native americans willing to do the work.

If you don't want immigrants to work in the USA, don't patronize businesses that hire them.
This is absolute regurgitated corporate bullcrap.

"No native Americans willing"

In IT? Are you kidding?

You obviously do not work in IT, or are one of the big bosses.

I was a senior developer at an IT firm and we had plenty of Americans applying for IT jobs.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:29 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This is a major reason I'm voting for Bernie Sanders. He is the only candidate who's demonstrated any interest in protecting Americans' jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
No he's not. Trump has as well. It's a big reason he wants to limit illegal immigration and H1B programs.
Quote:
Exactly right, Stagemomma!

Both red and blue pols have blood on their hands with this one. Voting won't change this! We The People are the only ones who can change this. Vote with your wallet, and with your feet. Your ballot is impotent.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:33 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Seems like this would be better if it were in the Politics forum.
I agree; this is a political issue.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Exactly right, Stagemomma!

Both red and blue pols have blood on their hands with this one. Voting won't change this! We The People are the only ones who can change this. Vote with your wallet, and with your feet. Your ballot is impotent.

This makes no sense. Stagemomma even sites hospitals as one of the(few in her estimation) places where immigrants dominate. Are she and you suggesting we stop going to hospitals? Is this a polite way of telling us to just go and die?

For my part I don't knowingly patronize places that are dominated by foreign workers. Where I live that would only be restaurants that specialize in foreign food, and I don't like most kinds of foreign food. I will admit I do not know the citizen status of the workers in the IT departments of businesses I deal with in my day to day life.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Where are you seeing these immigrants at work? I live in a city with a high immigrant population. They do manual labor (construction, groundskeeping) or janitorial work or work for Walmart. They don't work in fast food, they don't fix my car, they don't work at the regular grocery stores. With the exception of the medical field, and IT, They certainly aren't doing higher end work that requires a degree.

When they day comes that these immigrants replace blue collar workers abroad, then the country will have riots. Companies don't dare to eliminate non-skilled labor yet because it would cause chaos and discontent with the largest % of the population and riots happen. The reason the govt pay out food stamps and welfare checks is to keep the less fortunate away from crime.

For high skill work, a typical college educated financial analyst, bio-med engineer, or IT worker could be making from $60k-200k and now they are being replaced by immigrant worker making only 1/4 of that. You probably don't care but these are the people who are working in payroll or the bank making sure your loans are processed or credit card bills are calculated correctly or the medicine the company is making is safe and meets standards.

What I've seen is tons of job centers are bringing in hundreds and thousands of immigrant worker on work visas to perform office work. Usually these job sites are offsite and not connected to the main corporate HQ and located at some hub nearby transportation to make it easier immigrants to come by plane and get here.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:07 PM

152 posts, read 185,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup.

My department is 80% foreigners, mainly from India with a few token foreigners from other countries and a handful of token Americans. Even our business analysts are mainly foreigners. Our QA department is 100% foreign.

Our IT department is also about 80%
Do foreign workers get payed less then? What's the point.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:31 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
The company has to post the salary offered to H1Bs. Based on the postings I've seen, yes, the compensation is lower than how much a similarly qualified American would demand. Not by a humongous amount, but a significant percentage less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment