Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:43 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times

Advertisements

You can doctor shop all you want...you are going to have a VERY hard time getting anyone to sign those papers ESPECIALLY a new doctor.

A second, third, fourth opinion will definitely NOT delay the stoppage of the benefits. This doctor has been warning you for awhile now that they will not be signing the papers, sounds like they wanted to stop prior to this...they are 100% within their rights to not sign off & have been giving you a break so far...

You are really out of time...so either go back to work or do without the $$.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
HIPAA does not apply here. this person can reveal whatever they want about their health.
I understand that very well. The advice is to not disclose anymore as now privacy no longer exists... Unfortunately even use of the symptoms, easily linked back to icd10 codes and corresponding cpts puts the poster, and now the provider real close to a breach. If 1 of 7 personal identifiers are disclosed, per the hitech amendment of 09, investigation of the disability claim is now wide open.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
Please do get a second and third opinion. Doctors are going to side on facts and a diagnosis, not with each other. That is unless their diagnosis are all the same. Unless you find a shady doctor who is just out to make a dollar despite a person's health you may end up getting the same diagnosis.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Are you on meds? In therapy? What type of doctor is this? A psychologist/psychologist?

Define 'feel awful'. Mentally? Again, are you in therapy?

How much time do you have left?

Not enough information.

Frankly, it sounds like you just don't want to work, but I will withhold judgment until after I have answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidrose View Post
Yeah, I'm really used to people at this point saying nasty stuff about being lazy so I just kind of ignore it. If someone followed me around with a camera all day they'd see I literally can't even do basic things sometimes and just sit on the couch and try to catch my breath for an hour straight because I'm freaking out about nothing, I'm sure I'd be a huge asset in an office, lol. It's so hard finding the right medication. I've taken various stuff for the past few years but none of it helps that much.

The person I'm seeing is actually a Psychiatrist. I'm wondering if I should ask to see someone else, but like I said before I'm scared all the doctors will just stick together and trust her judgment because they all work for the same hospital. It's hard for me to see a different doctor because my insurance is really weird and this is the only place that takes it.
Why aren't you getting better? Why does the doctor think you are?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:57 PM

19 posts, read 80,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You can doctor shop all you want...you are going to have a VERY hard time getting anyone to sign those papers ESPECIALLY a new doctor.

A second, third, fourth opinion will definitely NOT delay the stoppage of the benefits.

You are really out of time...so either go back to work or do without the $$.
I'm going to say one last thing, not really directed at you (because you weren't nearly as harsh as some of these people) but at the general attitude I've gotten from most people in this thread.

People are so quick to pass judgments about someone who has an invisible illness. When I had a broken bone and needed surgery after the accident, people were so sympathetic. I couldn't believe it. And I found it really ironic because I'd been suffering for years but they just couldn't see it. People acted just like people in this thread act when I complained about my mental health. "Oh get over it, you're faking it, etc." But suddenly when I had a physical sign, it was a huge deal and everyone was so sweet to me. It made me sick. Because I'll tell you right now, recovering from surgery wasn't even 1/10th as bad as the pain I dealt with every day from depression and anxiety.

And at this point I'm not shocked anymore at the overwhelming consensus that I'm "screwing the system" or "just a lazy bum that doesn't want to work." People pass extremely harsh judgments with little to no idea about what they're talking about. Yes, I'm an "able bodied" young man that at first glance looks like I could work, no problem. But I've had periods of time where I felt that my job was literally killing me from stress, and I physically could not force myself to get out of bed, much less drive to work. If you think starting the day hyperventilating from a panic attack and having to use the restroom 6-7 times in a row while trying to choke down breakfast is a good way to spend your life, then you've got some real issues.

I have panic attacks regularly that are so serious I can't stand up, I can't move, I need to lay down because I will become extremely dizzy and fall over. Does this sound conducive to working? Maybe if I had a private cot out back where I could lay down for a few hours to recover (because that's how long it takes sometimes) but obviously no employer is going to do that.

And these strangers will take a quote I said in some old thread, "life's too short to waste at a job you hate." Because I'm ill I'm not allowed to express those feelings? Because I'm ill you're going to use that against me and try to take it out of context and make out like I'm lazy and trying to screw the system?

I regularly vomit from hyperventilating during panic attacks. I once burst a blood vessel in my eye from coughing so hard during one of them from trying to catch my breath. I have periods every day where I am literally unable to function which can come on with little to no warning. But I obviously left all this out of the OP because I didn't think people would be so interested in the nuances of my illness.

If I had cancer or something, it would be more than enough to just state the diagnosis. But because my illness is invisible, I have to humiliate myself and literally say "I can't be more than 30 seconds from a bathroom because my anxiety gets so severe I will **** myself" or "My panic attacks are so severe that a 5 year old child could probably do the job better than I could."

I know no one cares and people will continue to pass harsh judgments and say cruel things when they don't understand the situation in the slightest, but maybe next time think before you speak without knowing all the details.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:58 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
I'm going to ignore all the negative comments in this thread and look for advice from people who actually want to help rather than play detective with my posts. Everything I described that I'm feeling in this first post is true and I'm not even going to entertain a silly argument about it, think what you want.

You posted on 5/13 that you were back at work - now you are worried about going back to work.

Which is it?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:02 PM

19 posts, read 80,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Why aren't you getting better? Why does the doctor think you are?
There's no easy answer to why I'm not getting better. I wish I knew why, but it doesn't work like that. I have severe panic attacks that don't get any better with medication, and I don't even have the confidence to leave the house by myself half the time.

I question whether the doctor actually believes I'm better or just wants to get rid of me. I don't know how in good faith she can say I'm getting better when I describe my symptoms, because I'm not. Maybe I didn't explain it clearly enough to her? I don't have an answer unfortunately.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:02 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
I'm going to say one last thing, not really directed at you (because you weren't nearly as harsh as some of these people) but at the general attitude I've gotten from most people in this thread.

People are so quick to pass judgments about someone who has an invisible illness. When I had a broken bone and needed surgery after the accident, people were so sympathetic. I couldn't believe it. And I found it really ironic because I'd been suffering for years but they just couldn't see it. People acted just like people in this thread act when I complained about my mental health. "Oh get over it, you're faking it, etc." But suddenly when I had a physical sign, it was a huge deal and everyone was so sweet to me. It made me sick. Because I'll tell you right now, recovering from surgery wasn't even 1/10th as bad as the pain I dealt with every day from depression and anxiety.

And at this point I'm not shocked anymore at the overwhelming consensus that I'm "screwing the system" or "just a lazy bum that doesn't want to work." People pass extremely harsh judgments with little to no idea about what they're talking about. Yes, I'm an "able bodied" young man that at first glance looks like I could work, no problem. But I've had periods of time where I felt that my job was literally killing me from stress, and I physically could not force myself to get out of bed, much less drive to work. If you think starting the day hyperventilating from a panic attack and having to use the restroom 6-7 times in a row while trying to choke down breakfast is a good way to spend your life, then you've got some real issues.

I have panic attacks regularly that are so serious I can't stand up, I can't move, I need to lay down because I will become extremely dizzy and fall over. Does this sound conducive to working? Maybe if I had a private cot out back where I could lay down for a few hours to recover (because that's how long it takes sometimes) but obviously no employer is going to do that.

And these strangers will take a quote I said in some old thread, "life's too short to waste at a job you hate." Because I'm ill I'm not allowed to express those feelings? Because I'm ill you're going to use that against me and try to take it out of context and make out like I'm lazy and trying to screw the system?

I regularly vomit from hyperventilating during panic attacks. I once burst a blood vessel in my eye from coughing so hard during one of them from trying to catch my breath. I have periods every day where I am literally unable to function which can come on with little to no warning. But I obviously left all this out of the OP because I didn't think people would be so interested in the nuances of my illness.

If I had cancer or something, it would be more than enough to just state the diagnosis. But because my illness is invisible, I have to humiliate myself and literally say "I can't be more than 30 seconds from a bathroom because my anxiety gets so severe I will **** myself" or "My panic attacks are so severe that a 5 year old child could probably do the job better than I could."

I know no one cares and people will continue to pass harsh judgments and say cruel things when they don't understand the situation in the slightest, but maybe next time think before you speak without knowing all the details.
Mental illness still has a lot of stigma around it. Buddy of mine committed suicide over PTSD in April. 3 tours in Iraq.

Find a more conducive forum to solicit advice. And don't disclaim any personal information (there are multiple sites dedicated to this topic).

Old 05-26-2016, 01:06 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
Quote:

People are so quick to pass judgments about someone who has an invisible illness. Because I'll tell you right now, recovering from surgery wasn't even 1/10th as bad as the pain I dealt with every day from depression and anxiety.

Many of us have suffered from stress, depression, and anxiety at one point in time or another. Myself included. I saw a doctor, got help, and recovered from it. It's part of life for some people. Choosing to let it control your life is a personal choice. There are ways to get over it. I didn't miss one day of work from it. It's a personal responsibility.

Quote:
And at this point I'm not shocked anymore at the overwhelming consensus that I'm "screwing the system" or "just a lazy bum that doesn't want to work." People pass extremely harsh judgments with little to no idea about what they're talking about.

Many of us know a lot more than you know. It doesn't take much reasoning from your posts to realize that you are playing the system. You have all but admitted to that between some of your posts.

Quote:
Yes, I'm an "able bodied" young man that at first glance looks like I could work, no problem. But I've had periods of time where I felt that my job was literally killing me from stress, and I physically could not force myself to get out of bed, much less drive to work. If you think starting the day hyperventilating from a panic attack and having to use the restroom 6-7 times in a row while trying to choke down breakfast is a good way to spend your life, then you've got some real issues.

I've been down that road. I ended up with BP so high that I was on the verge of a stroke. My doctor warned me to make a change with my job or basically prepare to die. I changed jobs and eliminated the issue. I also took medication for a while to help control the stress until I could move on to something else. It was a much easier fix than I anticipated. But I wanted to do something about it... not just tell people that I have an illness no one understands.

Quote:

This is a crutch. Nothing more. There are people who can help. Get the help and become productive.

Quote:

The context is there. You said it, so you have to own it. Having an illness doesn't justify those statements. It isn't a free pass unfortunately. You're still responsible for them.

Quote:
If no one cared, no one would bother to respond to you. Maybe you need to think as well. You're not the first, nor will you be the last to have these problems. But there are victims and survivors. We all get to choose what we want to be. Have you ever thought that maybe some of us aren't trying to be harsh, but possibly trying to give you a wake up call to get you to do something about it? It's harsh when you're in a victim mentality. It's help when you want it.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:25 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:

I have premature, genetic, heart disease. It's fatal. Anything further?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment