Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 PM

759 posts, read 637,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Just curious has anyone ever been late to work due to traffic reasons? is it a good excuse?
What if an accident happens on the road, you forgot something at home, or maybe you need to go to the DMV real quick?
I work in Seattle with some of the worst traffic in the USA.

Thankfully it's a 6-2:30pm schedule so I go in before rush hour and go home before rush hour.

Generally, I don't have traffic problems... when I do run into the overturned semi or when there's a wreck caused by one of the many millions of people in this state who for whatever reason can't drive on damp roads... I just call my boss and it's never a problem. (I'm not kidding... I've seen 8 wrecks in a 3 mile stretch on I-5 on a rainy day)

I'm late 5-10 minutes a few times a month... nothing is ever said about it. It probably has a lot to do with me being here every day... Working for people that are laid back and don't watch you with binoculars and monitor your attendance with a magnifying glass is why I've been here 2 years and don't plan on going anywhere.

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 03:32 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,982 times
Nope.

Leave early, expect the unexpected, etc. Unless you were early and something catastrophic happened thst prevented you from getting to work.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:34 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
As someone who employs 70 people, I would first ask:

- Does the person get their work done on time and consistently hit deadlines?

If the answer is yes, then I don't give a ****.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
As someone who employs 70 people, I would first ask:

- Does the person get their work done on time and consistently hit deadlines?

If the answer is yes, then I don't give a ****.
It really depends on the job. As somebody up thread mentioned, if you are the guy with the keys who opens the bank, you better not be late. Schoolteachers also come to mind as a group where it would be critical for them to be on time.

Other jobs it would matter much less. I can only assume that the OP holds a job where the boss does care, otherwise why start the thread?

Old 06-02-2016, 05:31 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
Well if part of the job requirement is timeliness, then this threads question is moot, isn't it?

Old 06-02-2016, 06:00 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
But what if you have a traffic ticket or your licensed is about to expired?
Hmmm. Someone else posted this a couple months ago. They were fired or almost fired for attendance.

One of their reasons was they had to go to the DMV and leave work early.

So no. NOT valid excuses.

At the phone company you get fired. QUICKLY.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:17 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,076 times
Quote:
Just curious has anyone ever been late to work due to traffic reasons? is it a good excuse?
What if an accident happens on the road, you forgot something at home, or maybe you need to go to the DMV real quick?
Any excuse if good if it used rarely. No excuse is good if it is used regularly.

Don in Austin

Old 06-03-2016, 05:21 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
No excuse is valid over and over. Occasionally being latebbecause of extreme traffic can be unavoidable in some parts of the country. I usually have a 25 minute commute but occasionally it takes me over 90 minutes. I am not leaving myself 65 minutes of cushion every day, though I do on days with an 8am meeting.

I agree - to leave too much of a cushion would get you to work too early on most days. I would allow myself an extra 15 minutes when I lived on Long Island. If there wasn't horrible traffic one day I would stop in at the deli for a bagel and tea.

OP - However if you live somewhere that has horrible traffic you need to start leaving earlier so you are not late every single day. A serious traffic accident is one thing, normal rush hour traffic is not a good excuse after you've used it a couple of times. If I was the boss and someone was late regularly because of "traffic" I would tell them to leave home earlier!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:39 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,437 times
Leave a little cushion so it doesn't happen every day, but jeeze..... stuff happens. A wreck on a highway or something can be an hour delay. So of course it is a good excuse if its pretty infrequent.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:21 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Only if it happens once in a blue moon is it an excuse. If it happens repeatedly, it is the employee's fault for failing to leave soon enough to account for delays.

"Once in a blue moon" = once or twice a year, tops. Preferably less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment