Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times

Advertisements

It depends on the employer, and how strict they are, but also the kind of work being done. Some jobs are very much dependent on people being there, such as call centers, assembly lines, retail, restaurants where customers or production suffers if even one person is late. Even then, three minutes should not be considered a big deal. I can see them documenting it, if only to have records so that if it becomes habitual they have evidence to do a performance improvement plan.

I have people that report to me living over 40 miles away. One takes the train to Seattle, and bikes the last mile. He has not been late yet after about 5 months. Another lives within Seattle, and is often late due to traffic just getting across town. Being well aware of our traffic situation, I don't mind because they can just stay late to make up the time, and they have no need to be here at any specific time for the work they do. In fact each starts/leaves at a different time on set schedules that they chose.

Not every employer can (or will) can do that. I would not consider your issue reason to look for a new job, but I would consider moving closer or be looking for a job closer to home anyway, because a commute that long is not good for your quality of life. I know it's quite common, and often cannot be avoided for financial reasons, but it would be worth trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:28 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,389 times
Why am I not surprised to see a bunch of posts in the first few that are saying there’s not an excuse for being late.

There are times in major metros where your commute can spike from a half hour to 2 hours at random.

I guess you’re supposed to leave for work 2+ hours every day “just in case”.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:01 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I was three minutes late because someone ran a red light and crashed into the car in front of me and drivers that pulled over to help boxed me in along with first responders. The company still wanted to add an activity report indicating my tardy to my “personnel” file. Should I start looking for a new job?

I leave my house at least two hours before my start time because I have a 50 mile commute and an accident or trouble could add half an hour to my 60 to 90 minute commute.
Did you call in as soon as you knew you were stuck and going to be late, or did you not show up?

Old 04-26-2018, 12:12 PM

716 posts, read 557,006 times
I'm 30 days into a new job and still on probation. I'm 15 minutes early every day because I allow time for a backup on the freeway. There hasn't been an accident yet but who knows if 15 minutes is even enough cushion during a backup.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:00 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
But what if you have a traffic ticket or your licensed is about to expired?
Then you request a few hours off, and take care of it?

Old 04-27-2018, 04:07 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,848 times
Quote:
I was three minutes late because someone ran a red light and crashed into the car in front of me and drivers that pulled over to help boxed me in along with first responders. The company still wanted to add an activity report indicating my tardy to my “personnel” file.

I leave my house at least two hours before my start time because I have a 50 mile commute and an accident or trouble could add half an hour to my 60 to 90 minute commute.
Quote:
Should I start looking for a new job?
Yes!!! You have way too much time tied up in commuting (and if they're going to be that nit-picky about it with you having that long of a drive, you may not have this job for very long anyway. So definitely start looking).

Old 04-28-2018, 11:11 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Just curious has anyone ever been late to work due to traffic reasons?
Yes.

Quote:
is it a good excuse?
No.

Quote:
What if an accident happens on the road, you forgot something at home, or maybe you need to go to the DMV real quick?
In the first case, a truly unforeseen event like a crash that blocks the road would be excusable. Forgetting something, or deciding to run some errand other than work, or simply not being prepared and allowing enough time is not.

If you aren't fifteen minutes early, you're late.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:12 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Why am I not surprised to see a bunch of posts in the first few that are saying there’s not an excuse for being late.

There are times in major metros where your commute can spike from a half hour to 2 hours at random.

I guess you’re supposed to leave for work 2+ hours every day “just in case”.
If you live somewhere where it's known that commute times "spike", then yeah, you need to allow for that.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:19 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Back when I used to drive to work, I was only late once when my 25 minute commute turned into a 4.5 hour one because of a tractor trailer flipping over and going up in flames. I've never seen I-95 backed up so badly in my life. I just called my boss and told them I was going to be seriously late. It was no problem and I just worked a half day that day.

Now I take the subway to work, and about 3-4 times a year I'm late because of the train. There is nothing you can do about a train breaking down and stopping the whole line, or somebody deciding to jump in front of a train (heard it happen one time, and saw the aftermath of another, it's not pretty). I just text the secretary and let her know I'm gonna be late.

Those of you saying it's never an excuse obviously don't live in a major metro. It's a big area with loads of people and lots of moving parts. One little kink can bring the whole area to a standstill, and force hundreds of thousands of people to be stranded. Sometimes it just happens and there is nothing you can do about it. A boss who would hold that over your head is a poor leader, in my opinion.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:50 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Laziest bad advice ever. You have no idea if the poster you reply to wants a new job, how easy it will be to find one, financial position, other benefits of job, etc.

Yes, poster has a rough commute and a notation of tardiness for 3 minutes is harsh, but your advice is awful.
Employers don't care about what you want or need. I have worked hard to get a job where they don't clock me. If there was another way I would have mentioned it. There is no way to negotiate start times with most employers.

If they care about them being 5 or even 15 minutes late it's a "show up" job and not a job that requires actual aptitude or competence. Either he shows up 1 hour early and cuts into his free time or he gets laid off or quits.

I showed up late ONCE to a Meeting as a rookie and I was fired that Friday. What do you want me to tell him? In retrospect I would have not accepted that job. But it was a valuable learning experience. This is why my current employer I asked them about hours and flexibility in the interview process. Most employers are not flexible unless you have a specialized skill/knowledge.

I have been here a year and proved myself. I work mostly remote and they don't care where I am as long as I attend required conference calls and deliver my contributions in a timely manner. These jobs are few and far in between. If you don't like strict schedules you'll need to bust and haul azz until you can get into one of the few roles available like this. I spent 7 years working towards it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment