Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 02:13 PM

171 posts, read 193,999 times

Advertisements

I normally don't care what others do in the office as long as they are getting their work done but our coworker complains about petty stuff others in the dept do yet I hear her talk a few times a week on personals calls for 2 to 3 hours. And on her work phone. Granted she has been hee over 30 years (and a minority) but how is it OK that we get talked to over stupid things but she can take 2 hour lunchs and be on long personal calls? I wonder if management is aware and just doesn't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 02:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,939 times
Used to sit right next to someone who never made personal calls at her desk, but was glued to text messaging, and would leave her desk regularly. She disappeared so much that with good faith I assumed that she had a bladder problem or something that forced her to leave like a disability. Over time it was clear she spent half the time at work actually working and the rest on the phone. Some days more on the phone than working. She also abused her holiday privileges. I just couldn't stand her.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:29 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,774 times
Just doesn't care, she has been there for over 30 years, probably has forgotten more about the job than her coworkers every knew. Unless you are her manager what she does, is none of your business, and if management has a problem with it they will deal with it, even if she is a minority.

As for being OK, life isn't fair, work isn't fair, deal with it.

You could always quit.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:32 PM

171 posts, read 193,999 times
I don't need to hear that it is "none of my business" such a cliche answer. It is my business if her calls come to me. She is working as she talks on the phone but she doesn't usually answer her calls but has issues when others don't.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:38 PM

436 posts, read 521,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
I don't need to hear that it is "none of my business" such a cliche answer. It is my business if her calls come to me. She is working as she talks on the phone but she doesn't usually answer her calls but has issues when others don't.
If she is tying up her line for personal calls and a customer call is routed to you because of this, then yes that is an issue.

Document it quietly and decide if you want to talk to management about it. Keep in mind her seniority is most likely going to be a roadblock.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Tell the caller "Sorry, can't help you, call so and so" and then hang up.... (Never give your name either)

Old 08-11-2016, 02:44 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times
Quote:
I normally don't care what others do in the office as long as they are getting their work done but our coworker complains about petty stuff others in the dept do yet I hear her talk a few times a week on personals calls for 2 to 3 hours. And on her work phone. Granted she has been hee over 30 years (and a minority) but how is it OK that we get talked to over stupid things but she can take 2 hour lunchs and be on long personal calls? I wonder if management is aware and just doesn't care.
like you said. shes a minority and gets all the privilege.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:47 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I would bring this up to the person's manager, especially if you are on the same team and it is impeding your ability to do to work.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:16 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Tell the caller "Sorry, can't help you, call so and so" and then hang up.... (Never give your name either)
It really depends on what the situation is. We had something like that happen in my office (it is really still going on) but there are only 3-4 people in the unit to call. One is not doing her work so they'd call the other two who would cover. They eventually said they couldn't cover anymore and if the work was not completed, the callers would need to contact the unit head. I believe that a few of the callers terminated their contracts with us because they couldn't work with the person in question and several others did file complaints about the lack of response time. The reality of the matter is that even though the problem person has seniority, she's still vulnerable if she is not actually doing her job and there are enough people complaining from outside the unit.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:59 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Go to supervisor and let them know what time it is.

Then go to HR if that doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment