Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaowen456 View Post
I don't hire someone who has worked over 30 different jobs.
What if they were short term contract gigs or laid off from each of those jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 12:30 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaowen456 View Post
Of course ....Not!
I don't hire someone who has worked over 30 different jobs.
He has no experience in a job.
Although there's no chance of earning management-style pay any time within the next 3 years, my multi-industrial experience ensures that if I'm ever out of work, it's by choice. If worse comes to worst, then it's not so nice work. But my job-hopping has ensured that I am now permanently employable.

Bear in mind that the figure of 30 is inclusive of permanent contracts that didn't work out over a few weeks, some temporary jobs, casual work here and there.... the point is that my background is very patchy. And although I don't mind hard menial work, it's generally unsuitable - the employers don't trust "clever" people. It's just how things have worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
OP admits to multiple firings... and lying about them.
It's Pitt Chick! So alright even if your post WAS in the realm of truth, you'd appreciate that companies aren't always the light & glory they tell others to be? So why should I. When there's bills that have got to be paid, and a landlord that needs its rent, you'd be a fool to not appreciate how a little deception can travel a long way - and actually benefit both parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I wouldn't hire you because you sound like a douche.
I like this, can you roll this out in your corporation so that failed applicants can receive this en masse on their phones, instead of never hearing anything. Are you the MD of a large electronics/programming firm by any chance? If so, instead of the usual nonsense, just throw that sentence out in their faces when you are unimpressed by a resume. "Dear Sir. Thank you for your application, but I wouldn't hire you, because you sound like a douche. Yours Sincerely," and the reader would put it to rest "What a nice man. They replied!"

Old 08-25-2016, 08:26 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Do employers really hold job hopping against candidates anymore? Short-term employment is the new norm.
I don't know how true this is. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median job tenure in America is 4.6 years....unless you consider that "short term."

Old 08-26-2016, 01:04 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Most definitely employers will scrutinize applicants with history of job hopping.

Those who claim otherwise are only fooling themselves.

Like I said, most people here who job hop or cry that they want to quit their job after only a few months, are doing so for petty reasons. These people seem to have an inability to adapt to their job environment and to people in general.

My co-workers are gossip queens. Find another job.

My boss didn't say hi to me. Find another job.

My supervisor didn't let me take half the day off to get my colon irrigation. Yup, find another job.

You'll notice that whenever some on here justfy job hopping, they do so with reasons that don't apply to the typical CD job hopper. Higher pay, promotions, yes, these things can be legit reasons. But again, not applicable to the typical weak minded and overtly sensitive CD snowflakes who want to quit their 2 month old job because no coworker said hi to them this morning.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:48 AM

98 posts, read 246,213 times
If I was hiring for a temp position that requires only basic skills with no prospect of the job continuing to something permanent, sure. For a full time permanent position no. You have a history of leaving positions quickly and frankly it wouldn't be worth the initial investment spent training you as you're not in it for the long haul.

You say you can do the work and think you are overqualified for the jobs you apply for yet you aren't willing to show a company that you are reliable enough to work towards a better paying position, preferring to leave and repeat the same cycle over and over.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:20 PM

56 posts, read 56,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Most definitely employers will scrutinize applicants with history of job hopping.

Those who claim otherwise are only fooling themselves.

Like I said, most people here who job hop or cry that they want to quit their job after only a few months, are doing so for petty reasons. These people seem to have an inability to adapt to their job environment and to people in general.

My co-workers are gossip queens. Find another job.

My boss didn't say hi to me. Find another job.

My supervisor didn't let me take half the day off to get my colon irrigation. Yup, find another job.

You'll notice that whenever some on here justfy job hopping, they do so with reasons that don't apply to the typical CD job hopper. Higher pay, promotions, yes, these things can be legit reasons. But again, not applicable to the typical weak minded and overtly sensitive CD snowflakes who want to quit their 2 month old job because no coworker said hi to them this morning.
So what would you do if your manager falsifies company Paperwork to fire you, and
you get him caught in the act. You make a complaint to HR but they do not do anything.

But if you complain to the government, they will fine heavily to your employer.

Wouldn't that qualify as a good reason to leave.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:13 AM

283 posts, read 198,751 times
Many workplaces are toxic: bullying, discrimination, harassment and more. People are either fired or left of their own accord to preserve their health.

Unfortunately you can't tell the truth at interview. So instead, you are forced to come up with lies.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:00 AM

901 posts, read 747,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
Many workplaces are toxic: bullying, discrimination, harassment and more. People are either fired or left of their own accord to preserve their health.

Unfortunately you can't tell the truth at interview. So instead, you are forced to come up with lies.
Only manic depressive snowflakes feel this way about the workplace. They are just mad they don't get medals and special treatment just for existing.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 AM

283 posts, read 198,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Only manic depressive snowflakes feel this way about the workplace. They are just mad they don't get medals and special treatment just for existing.
Just read some of the posts here. Obviously you have never experienced a toxic workplace. For your sake, I hope you never will.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:41 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
Just read some of the posts here. Obviously you have never experienced a toxic workplace. For your sake, I hope you never will.
Organizations rot from the top. A CEO who's a manipulative narcissist or sociopath will tend to either hire people he/she can manipulate, or kindred souls. Which results in a toxic and dysfunctional organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment