Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:12 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,939 times

Advertisements

I am physically fit with no disabilities or health problems. Strong, tall, no allergies, no dyslexia, no mental health problems, and by all means winner of the genetic lottery.

But if my resume was listed accurately, it would contain around 30 to 35 jobs (including casual and temp jobs - I've stopped counting). The last 3 years contain 6 jobs and periods of unemployment.

If it is asked "Have you ever been dismissed?" I always lie and say no. I have dropped out of adult education three times. The longest I've held a job was for 11 months when I was 28. I haven't been able to hold a job for a full year in my entire adult life.

In my last job crawl, it took me 4 weeks to secure my highest-paying job yet - and it's tediously easy. I didn't even bother working for 6 months. And in my previous job crawl, I was offered three positions within a matter of weeks.

We're not talking about law firms here or technical supervisor kinds of jobs. But at this stage, it's kind of beside the point. My supervisor is dull, my manager is an imbecile, and the management above that is too awash with money to care. I will never be without work. Companies are so confused and lost in their respective fields & industries that they will always pick me - experienced, ethical, self-training, self-motivated, and self-managing.

Often, the vacancy isn't simply the lack of labor, but a yawning void of confidence and personality. Companies seem so superficial and nihilistically empty of ethic or consideration that I just hustle for them for several months, clear their backlog, then get the hell out of there. Rinse and repeat, earning a better salary, benefits and status every time.

That's my attitude. That's my REAL resume. Would you hire me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 08:39 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
No.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:47 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,671 times
Sorry but no, not at all...

Old 08-14-2016, 08:55 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
Do employers really hold job hopping against candidates anymore? Short-term employment is the new norm.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:04 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
But if my resume was listed accurately, it would contain around 30 to 35 jobs (including casual and temp jobs - I've stopped counting). The last 3 years contain 6 jobs and periods of unemployment.
What have you done for work? What skills have you developed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb
If it is asked "Have you ever been dismissed?" I always lie and say no. I have dropped out of adult education three times. The longest I've held a job was for 11 months when I was 28. I haven't been able to hold a job for a full year in my entire adult life.
Dishonesty will not get you hired.

Dropping out of adult education makes me assume you do not have a high school diploma or a general education diploma. Getting a general education diploma would make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb
Would you hire me?
I would not presently hire you. You need to get yourself in the right direction. Finish your general education diploma requirements, get hired for an entry level position somewhere, and start developing skills and trades.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:33 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
If you were a self starter, and I only needed temporary help, you would be my ideal candidate. I would even pay you well, because your type is not as easy to find today. Everyone has been turned into wimps and requires job security.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
What have you done for work? What skills have you developed?
Catering, manual, retail, engineering, call center, clerk, data entry, design, IT, repair & maintenance, all entry level.

Quote:
Dishonesty will not get you hired.
Don't wag that finger here. I get bored of how employers like to throw jobs at me. If anything, companies are so predictable how they habitually lie through their teeth that learning to deal with them as psychopathic liars seems to guarantee me constant work, when I want it.

Quote:
Dropping out of adult education makes me assume you do not have a high school diploma or a general education diploma. Getting a general education diploma would make a difference.
I have a slew of qualifications longer than your arm. Generally my strategy is to list them accordingly to the job on each multiple resume. I no longer trust adult education because of the failure of the state to defend the student from corporate element.

Quote:
I would not presently hire you. You need to get yourself in the right direction. Finish your general education diploma requirements, get hired for an entry level position somewhere, and start developing skills and trades.
But I've already developed the skills. The entry level positions, tick. The general education, tick. The right direction, what is that, working hard for a wage?

After so many years, I'm still trying to work out what it is that companies actually WANT. I can be in work, and out of work, it doesn't matter - I will always find work. Am I waking up to the reality that companies just want lies?

Old 08-14-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Catering, manual, retail, engineering, call center, clerk, data entry, design, IT, repair & maintenance, all entry level.

Don't wag that finger here. I get bored of how employers like to throw jobs at me. If anything, companies are so predictable how they habitually lie through their teeth that learning to deal with them as psychopathic liars seems to guarantee me constant work, when I want it.

I have a slew of qualifications longer than your arm. Generally my strategy is to list them accordingly to the job on each multiple resume. I no longer trust adult education because of the failure of the state to defend the student from corporate element.

But I've already developed the skills. The entry level positions, tick. The general education, tick. The right direction, what is that, working hard for a wage?

After so many years, I'm still trying to work out what it is that companies actually WANT. I can be in work, and out of work, it doesn't matter - I will always find work. Am I waking up to the reality that companies just want lies?

You should be an entrepreneur. That way, you can hand out the tiny paychecks to the peasants. I think you will go places.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If you were a self starter, and I only needed temporary help, you would be my ideal candidate. I would even pay you well, because your type is not as easy to find today. Everyone has been turned into wimps and requires job security.
I'm so tired of how SCARED people are when it comes to thinking for yourself. Most of my feedback in the last few years is either a. "You get too much into it" or b. "You push yourself too hard!" Like what the hell. If I want to think for myself and push myself, I'll do it. And I think it scares other people off when they see someone with imagination. "But no, a job is about people telling you what to do!"

Old 08-14-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I'm so tired of how SCARED people are when it comes to thinking for yourself. Most of my feedback in the last few years is either a. "You get too much into it" or b. "You push yourself too hard!" Like what the hell. If I want to think for myself and push myself, I'll do it. And I think it scares other people off when they see someone with imagination. "But no, a job is about people telling you what to do!"
It's all so very stupid, but so are the people who keep the whole mess going. The beauty of it is, you just have to be marginally smarter than your competition, which is not hard to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment