Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 01:45 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,343,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You'd be wrong, I watched the whole thing. I just don't agree with it.

What's more, I went and took another look at Joe's Crab Shack, who tried to institute a 'no tip' policy with much fanfare here and in the press, and it turned out to be a massive failure in...if I recall the numbers correctly...14 of 18 markets. The workers didn't like it, and the customers didn't like it.
You'd rather allow employers to pay their employees $3 to $4 an hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 02:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Some states allow that, ours does not. Waitstaff here make $9.47 minimum wage or more, plus tips. In a decent, mid-range ($60 dinner for two) restaurant a good waitperson can easily net $50/hour with the tips and providing really good service. Would that person continue to be motivated if those tips have to be shared with others that may be less effective?

Old 10-19-2016, 02:58 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Some wait staff goes overboard making sure that you have a good experience at their restaurant. Others are looking at their watch and aren't attentive. I don't think dividing the tips gives the slackers any incentive to do anything more....
Maybe not, but doesn't it give the doers an incentive to apply pressure on the slackers? I'm not really in this hunt but perhaps the reason for tip pooling is to create a team atmosphere where everyone individually does better when the team as a whole does better.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Some states allow that, ours does not. Waitstaff here make $9.47 minimum wage or more, plus tips. In a decent, mid-range ($60 dinner for two) restaurant a good waitperson can easily net $50/hour with the tips and providing really good service. Would that person continue to be motivated if those tips have to be shared with others that may be less effective?
There's this, then there's reality. While there are definitely waiters and waitresses that make enough money, most aren't making anywhere near this, and it's not through lack of trying. MOST people tip out of necessity and aren't about to drop you a ton of money to eat.

WHERE you work is going to mean everything.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:48 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
No, I don't think it's fair. And forget the cooks for a minute--consider just the wait staff. It's definitely not fair for tips to be split, when tips are given by the customer, based on service.

We're not tipping the cook. We're tipping the waiters. And it's always cash, so they can do what they want with it. If you know what I mean.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:14 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Seems like this strategy helps the worse workers and the ones who get the least amount of tips. Any thoughts on this? I would think individuals keeping their own tips would encourage everyone to be better at their job, what say you?
Its the classic dumbing down to avg of america. Union ways not fair ways. Although shift you get can drive things too, but why should someone with a busy shift working their buns off not get more for that too. Pay for performance is the only way to make things better.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:44 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I tip based on service. I would be ticked off, if the person to whom I gave money were to have that money taken away and forced to give it to someone else. I want the person who earned it to get it, not someone who didn't.

Cooks and busboys aren't tipped workers, whatever pay they get is between them and the employer, it isn't (or shouldn't be) up to the waitstaff to make up for any [perceived] shortfall in their wages because the owner is lowballing them.

Pooling tips is stealing/robbery.
When I was a busboy I received the same hourly as the waitresses.
Want service? How about a clean place to sit? How about I clean up the spill your bratty kid just did. Clear your plates, no problem. Need to go boxes, I'll get them for you. Need extra plates for your crab shells, let me get you one. Where's the waitress? I dunno, but I'll find here and send her over.
Sometimes a lot of service isn't just from the waitress.
Sometimes we would get patrons who would pull us aside and tip us seperately from the waitress and tell us we really made the experience much better for them and they could see us hustling.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Seems like this strategy helps the worse workers and the ones who get the least amount of tips. Any thoughts on this?
It smells like more PC nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
bus boys rarely get tips and they probably work hard.
Then bus boys need to address the issue with their wait staff, and escalate it to management if not resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
As a former server, I can relate. My bussers, bartenders and hostesses were tipped out by me at the end of the shift. I told them, "help me turn tables while delivering excellent service and we will make more together." This is a voluntary arrangement and it worked well.

What did not work well was the jealous kitchen staff demanding we tip them out or else our food would take longer.
That's a management issue....take it up with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
By law, everyone receives the federal minimum wage.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
This is misleading at best. While it is true that most joints are forced to pay you the rest if for some reason you make less in tips than what would calculate to be the federal minimum wage, you still need to subsidize your tips before YOU start to earn more than minimum wage.

So if you bust your ass for 10 hours at the current minimum tipped wage (which is $2.13/hr) you would get a whopping $22.13 in tipped wages and then the employer would need to pay you the rest to make up for it which is $50.37 (($7.25*10)-$22.13).

What this effectively means is that in order for you to make MORE than the federal minimum wage, that $50.37 needs to come out of the tips that you accrue over the course of 10 hours. You're effectively paying for the privilege of making more than the minimum wage.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Quote:
Wrong. In many states, there is a lower wage for waitresses allowed, as they are expected to get tips that will put them over the minimum wage total, and that is legal under federal law.

I remember years ago my wife and I went to a nice Chinese Restaurant (all white waitresses). I kept asking my waitress to bring me another glass of water. She was asked 4 times, and she did not do it any time. I asked her again when I got the bill, and again I did not get the water.

There was a fancy paper place mat which I turned over and wrote with a wide felt tip marker I carried to mark sale prices, etc. at work: No Water No Tip. We paid on the way out and looked back at her when she cleaned the table. She was one mad woman, and just glared hate at me. The owner was a nice lady that was familiar with us, and was taking our money. I told her to look at the waitress, and she saw the hate she was sending at me. Then I told her why. She told me she was glad I had done that, and she would let that waitress is she could not give the service the customers requested, she would be fired the next time something like this happened. Next time we were in the waitress came over even if we were not one of her tables that night and apologized, and said that night she had had a fight with her husband before going to work, and her mind was not on the job. She told me the owner had taken her aside, and told her what her duties were no matter what, and one is to do things like fetch water for customers when requested, and told her she did not deserve any tips if she did not do her job. And if she did not do her whole job, she would have to find another job. After that she was a pretty good waitress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment