Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:06 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I've been in the work force since 1991 and have had 12 jobs during that time (more if you consider the two years I worked as a temp (which I count as one job since I reported to one agency, even if I worked at dozens of different companies during that time)).

I've worked for investment bankers, lawyers, hospitals, hotels, sports companies, insurance companies, government contractors, environmental companies, telecommunications. Each company I worked for was great. And I'm including the company that fired me in 1993 and the company that laid me off in 2009.

Out of those jobs, only TWO companies had "perks" (one had free healthcare and generous year-end bonuses, while the other allows me to work from home whenever I want for any reason and has promoted me to more challenging roles three times in 7 years).

I work hard at what I do and even if the task is considered menial, I put in 100% to get it done correctly and on time. My reputation for quality work has resulted in higher ups taking notice. That's not brown-nosing. That's being a good employee with pride in what I do - whether it's making copies for a meeting or leading a project that affects the work of thousands of employees.

It's a shame that you can't find one redeeming quality in the corporate world (unless they offer perks) or feel the need to insult those who find success (calling them brown-nosers).
So true for the part bolded below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I've been a fed employee for 30 years and have done this so many times I could count them.

-someone is on extended sick leave, you do their job;
-someone deploys with the Army Reserve, you do their job;
-they have a baby, you do their job;

and on and on. You are expected to just suck it up an do their job, no questions asked.
A couple of questions as it may differ between a public employee vs. a private employee:

- Do you have to work extra hours to get their job done? If so, are you compensated with comp time, etc.
- Do you have performance reviews, where the extra work may hinder you from getting your objectives done, thus potentially negatively impacting compensation?

My point would be that if taking on the extra work just made you busier during your normal working hours, then it may be an inconvenience, but not a big deal. If however, you need to work extra hours and not be compensated for them, it may be an issue (but in the private sector it happens all the time).

Old 12-02-2016, 11:08 AM

1,227 posts, read 633,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Social services

Old position was clerical support

New position is case manager
The odds are she passed the test for case manager and there was a job opening, what is so unusual about that? I doubt it will take long to fill the clerical support position. When I was case worker they had welfare recipients assisting the file room. Have you taken any civil service exams in order to move up the ranks?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:56 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
The odds are she passed the test for case manager and there was a job opening, what is so unusual about that? I doubt it will take long to fill the clerical support position. When I was case worker they had welfare recipients assisting the file room. Have you taken any civil service exams in order to move up the ranks?
I'm not interested in trying something new until 2019. I found a position I like at a stable job and want to reach 5 years before transition to something else

Old 12-02-2016, 07:13 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I"be seen people do this as a stop gap before. Did the "need" cease when she got promoted. Her willingness to do it probably shows why she was promoted. It's similar to someone stealing ping up to act in the place of someone who is on vacation l. That kind of dedication often pays off.
I am this person. As I can't leave things unfinished, but in my experience it never fully pays off. I think most bosses catch on this is someone you can overwork.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:10 PM

1,227 posts, read 633,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
I'm not interested in trying something new until 2019. I found a position I like at a stable job and want to reach 5 years before transition to something else
What kind of logic is that? You are willing to miss all opportunities/promotions until 2019? How did you arrive at that date?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:15 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
What kind of logic is that? You are willing to miss all opportunities/promotions until 2019? How did you arrive at that date?
Because Dec of 2018 is my five year anniversary so that's why I said 2019 would be the start of the transitioning period. I haven't been employed 5 straight years since 2000 to 2005

Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
My comments below are from what I've seen and may or may not apply to mschrief. Our organization has been in a perpetual state of understaffed for about 10 years, for all the reasons given. And do you want the official, by the book answer, or the real answer? The official answer is it takes no extra time and any OT is compensated. The real answer is a bit, uh, different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
A couple of questions as it may differ between a public employee vs. a private employee:

- Do you have to work extra hours to get their job done? If so, are you compensated with comp time, etc.

Yes, it takes extra hours, or something else doesn't get done, or the quality is minimal. Something has to give somewhere. It's just that usually the part that gives is not something planned and intention, but random. Theoretically, yes this is comp time. Actually getting it is another matter. There are a couple ways it happens. One technique is to assign the task just before end of day and require the answer "on my desk by nine." Which means you're working late, but give them plausible deniability since they didn't direct you to work OT. Another that I've seen for large multi day/week projects is management will say overtime is not authorized, just get it done. Which leads to your next question ....

- Do you have performance reviews, where the extra work may hinder you from getting your objectives done, thus potentially negatively impacting compensation?

Yes. That's part of how they get the undocumented overtime. If you don't work the hours, then your appraisal goes down. It's hidden in the "not a team player" and "didn't complete ..." For example, I have a set of annual goals to accomplish. Yet I almost never actually work on them from doing all the "drop everything and work on this" tasks.

My point would be that if taking on the extra work just made you busier during your normal working hours, then it may be an inconvenience, but not a big deal. If however, you need to work extra hours and not be compensated for them, it may be an issue (but in the private sector it happens all the time).

Old 12-03-2016, 09:28 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
This is where you get promoted title wise but not paycheck wise.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:44 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
This is also not a universal truth. I've been on both sides of this situation both as the manager and the employee.

As a manager you have to:

1. Write a requisition for the empty position.
2. Submit the requisition to HR for approval.
3. Wait for HR to post the requisition.
4. Wait for applicants to apply.
5. Wade through mounds of resume's to find a select few who appear to meet the requirements.
6. Schedule the interviews.
7. Interview each candidate.
8. Evaluate each candidate and narrow down the few who you are considering to the best fit. Then narrow down again, or re-interview the selected candidates.
9. Write an offer letter for the candidate.
10. Submit the offer letter to HR for approval.
11. Submit the offer to the candidate. (If they already found another job, you start over from step 8 or start over from step 5)
12.Set up a drug screening (if they fail, go back to step 8 or step 5)
13. Set up a background check (if applicable) (if they fail, go back to step 8 or step 5)
14. Allow the candidate to work out their two week notice at their previous employer

Keep in mind, while this is going on a manager must still perform their daily functions. This is an addition to those, so if something more urgent comes up this may have to get pushed aside until the fire is put out. Assuming all the stars align, this process can take weeks or months to complete. If there is a problem (see step 11, 12, and 13) the process can take quite a few months.
Doesn't your HR do 5, 6, 11-14? Sure, they take time but the manager doesn't DO them. Usually HR does the initial screening based on what you tell them and you interview only those that at least look good on paper. Even if they didn't, I could screen out bad applicants in less than 30 seconds a resume, maybe 15 seconds. Anyway, not all managers do "project work" - their actual job is to MANAGE and this is part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment