Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:54 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,271 times

Advertisements

This lady at my job was promoted 3 weeks ago and since they haven't found anyone to fill her previous position, she is currently doing both jobs for the same money? You would think she would be using all her mental energy to learn the new job.

First time I ever seen a coworker in this situation. When I saw her doing the old job I thought she changed her mind and decided not to accept the challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 08:07 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
This lady at my job was promoted 3 weeks ago and since they haven't found anyone to fill her previous position, she is currently doing both jobs for the same money? You would think she would be using all her mental energy to learn the new job.

First time I ever seen a coworker in this situation. When I saw her doing the old job I thought she changed her mind and decided not to accept the challenge.
I"be seen people do this as a stop gap before. Did the "need" cease when she got promoted. Her willingness to do it probably shows why she was promoted. It's similar to someone stealing ping up to act in the place of someone who is on vacation l. That kind of dedication often pays off.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:09 PM

282 posts, read 444,279 times
Happens all the time.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:02 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Seen it often. The bad part is they also often end up doing neither job well which is a major fault in modern management.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:13 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
This happens all the time.

In fact, she has likely been filling both roles for some time before she was promoted.... Which may have been a primary reason for said promotion.

And assuming this is a higher level position, three weeks is likely too soon to be able to find a suitable replacement anyways. Even when the replacement is found, she'll likely be spending a month or so transitioning things over.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:44 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,767 times
yep. this is nothing out of the ordinary.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:06 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Completely normal. Often times the timing can't be perfect where someone is promoted into a new role and someone else immediately fills the old role. As such, there are times where overlap occurs. One may be required to fill both roles temporarily until a person can be hired and trained to take over the old role.

One thing to consider is that she is likely doing both jobs for MORE money, so it may not be quite as painful for her to perform both since she is getting an immediate benefit from it. In the future the benefit becomes even greater when her old role is assigned to someone else permanently. Then she will make this money with less responsibility. These types of people are the ones who get promoted because they are willing to do whatever they need to do to advance.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:10 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Completely normal. Often times the timing can't be perfect where someone is promoted into a new role and someone else immediately fills the old role. As such, there are times where overlap occurs. One may be required to fill both roles temporarily until a person can be hired and trained to take over the old role.

One thing to consider is that she is likely doing both jobs for MORE money, so it may not be quite as painful for her to perform both since she is getting an immediate benefit from it. In the future the benefit becomes even greater when her old role is assigned to someone else permanently. Then she will make this money with less responsibility. These types of people are the ones who get promoted because they are willing to do whatever they need to do to advance.
Then I heard that she may have to train the new person who takes her old job. I now know if I apply for any positions here it will be lateral. Lol

Old 12-01-2016, 07:14 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,909 times
Shows you how much of a joke these employee exploitation American companies are today. You want to work for corporate America? Get ready to be an abused, mindless, well programmed slave

They will realize she can do both jobs (probably going nuts in the process doing so) and won't find her a replacement for a long time if at all. Scumbag companies will gladly sacrifice he health of a good employee if it means saving a penny. And when they finally do find a replacement, it will probably be some clueless, inept, well connected idiot not even qualified for the job and it will go to crap and they will make her end up picking up the slack for the idiot

All the more reason to stay away from companies today

Old 12-01-2016, 07:34 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Then I heard that she may have to train the new person who takes her old job. I now know if I apply for any positions here it will be lateral. Lol
Still normal. Even in a lateral position you may be required to train your replacement. The best trainer is the person who successfully does a job daily and has specific experience to the position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Shows you how much of a joke these employee exploitation American companies are today. You want to work for corporate America? Get ready to be an abused, mindless, well programmed slave

They will realize she can do both jobs (probably going nuts in the process doing so) and won't find her a replacement for a long time if at all. Scumbag companies will gladly sacrifice he health of a good employee if it means saving a penny. And when they finally do find a replacement, it will probably be some clueless, inept, well connected idiot not even qualified for the job and it will go to crap and they will make her end up picking up the slack for the idiot

All the more reason to stay away from companies today

You have a horrible attitude towards work. There is no abuse and we are not slaves. There are necessary steps in business (while uncomfortable and annoying) that must be taken to keep it successful. The bigger picture is what too many people are so short-sighted that they can no longer see.

You are making wild assumptions about a company that none of us know anything about. This type of attitude is infectious and is the demise of departments in companies. Someone gets it set in their head that the company is just keeping them there to torture them and they infect others with the same mentality. Pretty soon you have a company full of people who are nasty, lazy, and full of gossip and are complaining that they can't get promoted. Then they spread rumors that Susie or John is getting promoted on who they know and not what they know. Never once stopping to think that maybe management didn't want one of these vile people filling that position so they looked for the person who was the most willing and most positive to try and restore some sense of civility in the company. You shoot your own self in the foot and then blame it on someone else.

Those people then come on C-D and tell us how bad companies really are with hopes of spreading their infectious and deceitful gossip to others just for self-gratification. This can accomplish nothing but a society full of hopeless people who have no desire or drive to be successful in anything other than wallowing in their own self pity. Have you ever taken a second to look at that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment