Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:37 PM

285 posts, read 263,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP...don't hire her. I hate tats and piercings.

I like my gals natural. If a gal has pierced nipples or pierced privates I would tell her to put her clothes back on...hate it.

I saw a gal at the pool that had a big dark blue ugly horse tattooed on her pillowy breasts. She was not a beauty, kinda short and fat. But her breasts were her best feature...until she ruined em. Who the hell wants to look at a big ugly blue horse on her breasts??

Women don't perfect their beauty with body mods they ruin it.

(Infrared flash photo taken in the dark)

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...d-teoli-jr.jpg

Of course, this is all relative. The punkers think an unmoded body is ugly.
You literally sound like a judgmental person of the disgusting type.

I hate it when people like you speak. A womans body is like a mans body, it's hers and she can do whatever the hell she wants with it and if she want to get a big blue horse on her breasts then she should be allowed to get a big blue horse on her breasts, who is going to actually see it anyway if it's on her breasts??? Women aren't allowed topless, so nobody unless she's wearing a swimming suit or naked.

Like that 'women don't perfect their beauty with body mods they ruin it' comment tells me you seem to think women do what they do to look prettier for others or get the attention of others.

I for one think women look beautiful with or without body modifications. It's not my place to tell a woman what she should be doing to fit MY specifications of what I want a female to look like. She's not my damn property that I can choose to look however I seem fit.

Yes, you struck a cord in me. Highly.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,222,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP...don't hire her. I hate tats and piercings.

I like my gals natural. If a gal has pierced nipples or pierced privates I would tell her to put her clothes back on...hate it.

I saw a gal at the pool that had a big dark blue ugly horse tattooed on her pillowy breasts. She was not a beauty, kinda short and fat. But her breasts were her best feature...until she ruined em. Who the hell wants to look at a big ugly blue horse on her breasts??

Women don't perfect their beauty with body mods they ruin it.

(Infrared flash photo taken in the dark)

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...d-teoli-jr.jpg

Of course, this is all relative. The punkers think an unmoded body is ugly.
Well aren't you a sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen!

Old 12-09-2016, 05:14 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,782,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
comparing bicycle seats to societal expectations ... that's a little dense, don't ya think?
Nope.

But failing to recognize that there are real limitations to what you can get away with in real life - whether its a bicycle seat that's going to rip your piercing out or trying to get an office job when you have tattoos up to your chin - is VERY dense.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:33 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,465,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionstars View Post
I would have hired her. Why punish her forever for choices she made in the past? So heartless.
But what business are you in?

Old 12-09-2016, 05:56 PM

10,790 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Quote:
nothing wrong with it. it's just that uptight people are usually miserable, resentful, envious, and cowardly.
Doesn't like tattoos = uptight = miserable, resentful, envious, and cowardly

That's quite a conclusion you've jumped to.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:52 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,835,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Definitely no appropriate for a finance office.
Where would that look work?

Tattoo Parlor (obviously)
Retail Marijuana
Used Record Store
Trained Assassin

Where else?
In the modern progressive United States of CA , you can get a job pretty much anywhere with visible tattoos. Nurse? Yes. EMT, Firefighter, police officer? Yes. Entertainment industry? Yes. Barber/Hair stylist? Yes. Auto mechanic? Yes. Retail jobs? Yes. Post office? Yes. Teacher? Yes. Restaurant? Yes. Living in Los Angeles I don't even look twice just like I don't look twice if someone is black, mexican, female, trans, gay, republican, religious etc

Old 12-09-2016, 07:08 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,613,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeachez View Post
So this woman came in for an interview and she has several tattoos on her neck and fingers/hands. Management was instantly turned off because of the tattoos. She looked like she belonged in a prison gang. This is a very professional finance office. I don't understand why people dont think about the consequence of getting tattoos in very visible areas.
I wouldn't hire her for the reason that it shows an anti-social personality. She knew, and knows, that tattoos are not generally the accepted norm for most of our society, and yet, she wanted that distinction. It speaks volumes about her personality.

The second thing it shows about her personality, IMO, is that she's narcissistic, having a "look at me" personality. She wants attention, demands it. She doesn't want you to notice her mind, or her good work, or her social skills. No, she wants you to notice her because she has a bizarre appearance from the others. That's not conducive to a professional office environment, where team work is usually required.

The tattoos are also ink, which is toxic. I wonder if the toxic ink causes tattoo wearers to have more health problems? For a tattoo wearer not to have considered this shows he or she is not too swift in the brains department.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,343,541 times
Quote:
the "consequences" are basically you deciding she should be socially punished for getting tattoos. you remove that decision and there are no consequences other than her having tattoos on her body.
The person getting the tattoos has to assume responsibility for his or her choices. People don't get hired every day because the hirer doesn't find them attractive. It might not even have to do with looks. Maybe they went to the manager's rival college. Maybe the manager knows some of the interviewees friends and doesn't like them. Maybe the manager looked at the person's Facebook page and saw photos of drunken parties or political statements that they deem offensive.

Do you think fat people often don't get hired for jobs having nothing to do with their appearance? Do you think people with speech defects don't get sent packing from job interviews? How about accents? I've heard many people say, "I can't understand a word they're saying," when in fact they weren't even trying. They heard the accent and they turned off. The person with the accent might be OVERqualified.

Tattoos, piercings, and other body art are a premeditated choice. In most cases they are expensive to purchase and wearer got them for a reason. Like it or not, that reason conveys certain messages.

"I'm outside the standard. I'm creative," are the simple ones. In the case of colorful or fanciful work, the perceiver could see someone they deem as frivolous or possessing bad taste.

Depending on the tattoo, the message sent could be, "I'm an outlaw. I don't live by society's rules." Many people perceive that to mean, "This person can't be trusted. They look like people I see on Wanted posters. I don't need that in my business." This is especially true of neck tattoos. They are commonly interpreted as gang signs, even if that's not the wearer's intent.

It's the hirer's choice. They have the job opening, they make the rules. The person with the body art needs to get into a profession (or live in a location) where their style is considered acceptable.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 12-09-2016 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-09-2016, 08:04 PM

285 posts, read 263,041 times
Reading these comments makes me grateful I'm growing up in a generation of people who see tattoos and piercings as less and less of an issue.

The only issue I have are earrings. I got my ears pierced as a baby and sometimes like to wear little studs. Nothing too out there, fancy, big, attention getting. Just to feel handsome and because I want to, I will occasionally wear studs. I was then told, by my boss, that I can't wear studs as damn near EVERY other female employee walked around (daily) with hoops and big earrings and flashy stuff. I told him, flat out, "if (employee) can wear three to four sets of earrings everyday and not use her waist long hair to cover her ears up and that's okay, I see no reason why I can't wear ONE set of simple silver studs that didn't require four different piercing sessions."

Needless to say he changed the rules and now males can wear earrings. He also changed a rule with males having to have short hair, as another girl has very thick and very long hair and she didn't have to wear a hairnet but males had to have short cropped hair and no facial hair. Now they can sport stubble, clean trimmed hair, short beards, little mustaches, and have long hair as long as it's out of the face and in a ponytail (same as the female rules). Many current employees are happy with the new rules and I am too. They can still do their job, the place is still amazing, the people are still awesome and cool to chill with, the boss is still an accepting man, and they are still very popular out here. The only difference is appearance and the occasional crabby old lady who see's them and gets pissy.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,582,821 times
Quote:
uptight people: you're all the same. you think people who are not like you need to be punished for not being like you. what a boring world it would be if you always got your way.

As a former Employer, I would not hire anyone with visible Tattoos either. Shows defiance to conform to what is Generally accepted by the Majority, shows lack of foresight, and no consideration to consequences. These folks, like yourself, fail to see that they work in a Dictatorship, and Only Live in a Democracy. A Job is not made to "Entertain" you, and allow you to be "Different" from whats expected of you. I know that's the "New" way of Younger folks thinking, but that's not how it works for real. Contrary to popular belief, there are no "Therapy Dogs" or "Kleenex, Crayons, and Play Dough" if things don't go your way on the Job.

I can only think of 3 times I had Applicants with Tattoos come in for a Job. None hired. If I could see them, they where done before they started. Also never hired anyone who came in to fill out an Application, and had to ask for a Pencil. If a Person is not ready to fill out an Application, how could they be ready to the Actual Job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment