Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:49 PM

6 posts, read 5,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Or other issues you have.
I have zero issues with her. And just because I prefer to be aloof doesn't mean I have issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 03:52 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times
I think sometimes there is jealousy of people who are either about to get married, or are newlyweds. Sometimes it comes from frustration of having been single for a long time, or newly divorced. There can be envy and resentment.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 5,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I think sometimes there is jealousy of people who are either about to get married, or are newlyweds. Sometimes it comes from frustration of having been single for a long time, or newly divorced. There can be envy and resentment.
lol I'm happily married. Nice try.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenise12 View Post
There isn't a problem. I just don't care. I got married a few years and didn't discuss it at work. I don't discuss my personal life at work. Period.
Some people are just friendlier and more sociable than others. I run into people all long who have no social skills, you say "hello" and they either do not respond or barely respond. Not my problem, I just consider the source. It is their problem not mine, but it sure must be Hell, going through life like that.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 PM

612 posts, read 1,514,275 times
Quote:
A coworker recently returned from her destination wedding and honeymoon. She hasn't stopped talking about it since yesterday. And shes VERY loud so she can make sure EVERYONE can here her. So annoying.

I don't plan on asking her about it because I don't want to be forced to sit and listen like I give a toss.

Whats the best way to avoid conversations with these kinds of people?
I guess she stops by you and is verbally communicating. If thats the case, how about indirectly reminding her about her pending work in a nice way. For eg: If you are dependent on her work, when she starts talking her personal stuff tell her you are waiting on her work to start yours and ask for her work status. Or ask hows the project you are working on. Or where did you learn XYZ work skills from, I am thinking to learn it too.

Another way would be sneak out from there for a while. Something like I need to make this call, I will talk to you later. Or I need to go take this print out. After that if starts via text messages on internal work chat, just don't respond and you can say you were busy.

One of my colleague/friend at work does that a lot. I am not interested in her personal stuff, but she keeps on sending me text messages and I have started ignoring it since last couple of weeks. She keeps on talking about her date life on work chat system, messages like she is not a mood to work (I get this message everyday, twice a day) and she also gets sick minimum 3 times in 8 hours of work everyday. I will get a text about she having a headache, after sometime body ache, then cold. Sometimes she is sleepy, has stomach disorder, cold and good knows what other stuff.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:58 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,870 times
Talking with other people is a difficult life skill. If you work on it, it will work on you.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:18 PM

509 posts, read 555,114 times
You sound jealous.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:26 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,105,586 times
Quote:
I have zero issues with her. And just because I prefer to be aloof doesn't mean I have issues.
But it's been less than 24 hours. Why so irritated? Has no one ever raved about a vacation, birth of a child, new job, retirement, etc. at work before? I think you're not being honest with yourself.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
A coworker recently returned from her destination wedding and honeymoon. She hasn't stopped talking about it since yesterday. And shes VERY loud so she can make sure EVERYONE can here her. So annoying.

I don't plan on asking her about it because I don't want to be forced to sit and listen like I give a toss.

Whats the best way to avoid conversations with these kinds of people?
Just say never mind the wedding stories hit me up when you get divorced. That's the part I wanna hear. That should cool the room.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:52 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,667,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I don't care about most things other people talk about. If I care about the person talking (and/or our relationship), I'll fake interest. If the conversation gets excessive I'll give brief, disinterested feedback until the other person gets it that I don't care. Sometimes I change the subject myself. Usually people can pick up on it when I don't want to continue talking about a particular subject. That being said I'm not typically bothered by such things. I'd much rather listen to someone at work go on and on about their own life than have that person ask me personal questions about my life.

I think coming back from one's wedding is an exceptional life experience. I would expect to put up with a little more forced conversation for a week or so.
Glad I'm not alone in this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment