Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:27 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,984 times

Advertisements

I know what you mean about society's expectations about fashion/beauty, career, how to behave, doing the right thing, etc., but keep in mind that they only apply to SOME people. You don't HAVE to follow them.

The examples you gave are for the career climbers, which is NOT everyone. If you're not a career climber, then that is perfectly fine as well. There are plenty of people who work just to get a paycheck, not because they want to advance their career. It's a matter of your personality and what you WANT to do, not what you should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 06:39 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What is really upsetting is that if you were a new grad, particularly during the recession, you have six months to a year to get on track professionally. After that, the degree "goes stale."

Pretty retarded for these employers to think that if you ask me. Its as though people's brains disappear after 6 months according to these idiot employers? What are people incapable of LEARNING anything new after college??

Its just more excuses for the employers to play it cheap and find reasons NOT to hire anyone or throw the responsibility on some sucker who's already there.

Most companies today don't deserve to be in business

Old 02-15-2017, 12:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I like my job. I just want to comment on what I've been observing as a "young professional."

We hear a lot about how society gives women "unfair standards of beauty" by barraging them with pictures of super-thin models. I would submit that the same type of thing is happening in the career world. That is, Americans are being given unrealistic ideas about the role of their vocation in their life and self-esteem.

The following are a few of the phenomenons I've witnessed.
  • Employees are supposed to feel proud of who they work for. The problem with this is that every career field is a pyramid structure where those who are competitive enough to be in the top 5% get to work at top-tier companies that they feel proud of and the other 95% has to work for low pay at boring companies. It's a recipe for dissatisfaction.
  • Talk of "Average is over" or "No tolerance for C performers." In other words, there is no longer room for Dilbert-type people in the corporate world. The pudgy guy who works in a cubicle and does an average amount of work can no longer survive.
  • You're supposed to "enjoy what you do for a living" or "live to work". There is no point in debunking this idea since it's complete nonsense. My ideal job would be a professional tennis player, but if I actually decided to pursue that career then I would make $0/year since no one would sponsor me and I couldn't any tournament prize money.
  • Needing to "keep your skills up-to-date." I imagine that if you were a union worker in an auto plant in the 1950s or a blacksmith in the year 500 A.D., you didn't have to spend your free time outside of work learning more skills to stay competitive enough to be employed. What's worse is that today "staying competitive" often means paying for overpriced degrees or certifications.
Based on your posts here I think you hate your job and you are bored of your life.

Work is there to give you a paycheck. You should enjoy it enough to keep collecting your check and growing enough to meet your work goals.

You should have life aspirations that have nothing to do with work and can give you fulfillment. Some people are athletes. Some people volunteer. Some people learn more. Some people have hobbies. Some people read. Pick something so that aspiration satisfies your need to achieve.

So what are your life goals, ans how will you achieve them?

For example I had a really boring job. So I made up things I wanted to learn while I was there. And I had other goals around getting more jnvolved in my community. I created projects to get those career goa,s done, and made time for community meetings and the like.

Several years later these career goals put me in a more lucrative career path. Each subsequent job offered better opportunity than the last or introduced me to people that proved to be influential. And I ended up joining a nonprofit board. Time for new goals. I unlocked those achievements.

I now I have a new set of career goals. I have achieved some of my personal goals and now they are habits. And I am prioritizing the next set of personal goals.

I don't expect to have life fulfillment at work. But I do want to keep developing new skills so I don't get pigeonholed. So my work aspirations are designed to stop doing the boring stuff and focus on my favorite parts. Of course every job has boring stuff, but you can impact the ratio with careful positioning and planning.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:14 AM

67 posts, read 50,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I don't believe any of this to be true.

People who work hard, are disciplined, and never quit succeed. You may not succeed at first, but if you keep trying you will. We work because we need money. To be successful you must find out what skill you possess that has a value and then offer that value to an employer for a set amount of money.

Money is what we trade for goods or services we cannot create ourselves. We are very much still on a barter system just like what has been used for centuries. However we barter a piece of paper.

You are not forced to work. If you decide to live off the grid and have the survival skills necessary you can survive outside of the normal system. The fact is that most people don't have those skills and have no desire to obtain them. This is the same with people who aren't successful with work. They have no motivation and no desire to succeed or to learn and hone any type of skill. Their biggest skill is to complain about wanting more for less.
belief is a useless word. things either are or they arent.
hard work leads to nothing but failing in the business world at some point.
it was designed to throw you away.no amount of discipline will change that.
you are missing my entire point to begin with because you still worship the State and think hard work is a real thing. you are taxed for all you do. you have never worked for yourself ever in your life.
until we can keep all our earnings, we are debt slaves

Last edited by haroldjackson; 02-15-2017 at 02:28 AM..

Old 02-15-2017, 07:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjackson View Post
you are taxed for all you do. you have never worked for yourself ever in your life.
You are one of those guys!

Sorry, you have an unworkable and unrealistic view of reality.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:07 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjackson View Post
belief is a useless word. things either are or they arent.
hard work leads to nothing but failing in the business world at some point.
it was designed to throw you away.no amount of discipline will change that.
you are missing my entire point to begin with because you still worship the State and think hard work is a real thing. you are taxed for all you do. you have never worked for yourself ever in your life.

Some of your posts are nonsensical at best. This is one of them. I fully believe these are trolling posts now.

Belief is what our existence hinges upon. We believe things to be a certain way based upon our experience. You just posted your beliefs above.

Hard work leads to success. At some point, yes, you will likely fail at something. That is one of the building blocks to work harder to overcome that failure.

You must be able to comprehend that you are in fact a business owner (whether you own the business or the employer does). You own the business of you. You offer specific services to a customer (aka your employer). For that service your employer pays you.

If you want to offer additional services that are worth more, you learn new skills to add to your resume. You then look for opportunities to sell your new skills in the form of promotions in the company. If the company chooses someone else's services for that position, you have the choice to continue selling your same services to the employer, or move on to another employer who desires your new service. If you choose not to expand on your services then the company may eventually move on to new people who offer additional services that they desire and you are out of business (aka laid off, terminated, etc...).

Don't even get me started on taxes. While I am not a fan of paying them, I do understand that these taxes provide my kids with an education, help maintain our roads, pay our military, etc...

Tell me. What would you do if no one was required to pay taxes and the government suddenly decided that they were no longer going to provide protection from other countries, no longer going to maintain roads and bridges, and would no longer fund the public school system? Would you be willing to step up and help pay the cost for all of this? Absolutely not, because the cost would be so high due to so many not volunteering to help that you would be unable to afford it.

Again, common sense is king.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,347,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
- there are plenty of average people at work and they don't get fired

- nobody loves their job. That's a high school slogan with no merit imo. That said, you shouldn't hate going in to work every day

- my job has training on the job. once you understand the job, there are only minor changes
Theres nothing wrong with being average

I hate competition especially when it comes to getting a job and how the economy is today

Most of us work so we can earn a paycheck and if we had a choice im pretty most of us would choose not to work if money grew on trees

Unfortunately thats not how the world works

Being a regular " just a job " employee does have it perks as does " career oriented " people

Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 AM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I know what you mean about society's expectations about fashion/beauty, career, how to behave, doing the right thing, etc., but keep in mind that they only apply to SOME people. You don't HAVE to follow them.

The examples you gave are for the career climbers, which is NOT everyone. If you're not a career climber, then that is perfectly fine as well. There are plenty of people who work just to get a paycheck, not because they want to advance their career. It's a matter of your personality and what you WANT to do, not what you should do.
In many industries, there is an "up or out" mentality where if you're not advancing, you're out the door for someone younger and cheaper. I agree there is room for people to stay in staff level roles, but that's not the reality at some places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Pretty retarded for these employers to think that if you ask me. Its as though people's brains disappear after 6 months according to these idiot employers? What are people incapable of LEARNING anything new after college??

Its just more excuses for the employers to play it cheap and find reasons NOT to hire anyone or throw the responsibility on some sucker who's already there.

Most companies today don't deserve to be in business
I graduated in 2010 when hiring was pretty much dead in the water (our area went into the recession a bit later, so this was probably our local bottom). About the only places that were hiring were fast food, call centers, retail, and other low end junk jobs where a degree was neither required nor helpful. However, after about the first year, candidates with a degree more than a year old were thrown into the "experienced professional" pool, even though they had no meaningful or related experience at all.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I do agree with OP that we are very career driven as society & our standard keeps increasing. Not to say back in the days people didn't have high standards & people didn't strive for best. They did & I am sure they worked their ***** off for what they had, which might seem average to us now but it was excellence then. But very few of us are happy just living a basic life.

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with my sister when she started college. My brother and I were trying to advise her on which major to choose & I kept saying "find something you are good at & comes easy to you, so you can thrive". We had lot of discussion about success and excellence and career..etc until she (a 18 year old soft spoken girl) said "what if I just want to be average? what if that is all I want? what's so wrong with that'. It stopped us mid-track & I had nothing to respond to her. I realize I was projecting my ambition on to her but there is a beauty in being simple & being average. There is peace and serenity that we lose when we chase
But some people need to realize not everyone is exactly career driven

Neither does everyone thrive on competing with other people for the next promotion or deciding whos getting laid off or keeping their jobs because they are average or don't want additional responsibilities

And im talking about folks in Entry to Mid Level office jobs and labor skilled jobs.

Some of my folks are comfy being in the same job for many years and they don't care if the next person gets that system admin position or if they get paid less than their manager
The stress, responsibilites, hours and taking work
Home is something they don't wanna do even if the job pays more

Their jobs are low stress , good hours, decent pay ( not rich)
They do a good job

I do like my job
Working with fixing computers for kids and teachers is fun
Entry level? Sure but better than retail

Pays decent and don't really desire to go much higher
Don't see any problem with that

Old 02-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In many industries, there is an "up or out" mentality where if you're not advancing, you're out the door for someone younger and cheaper. I agree there is room for people to stay in staff level roles, but that's not the reality at some places.

I graduated in 2010 when hiring was pretty much dead in the water (our area went into the recession a bit later, so this was probably our local bottom). About the only places that were hiring were fast food, call centers, retail, and other low end junk jobs where a degree was neither required nor helpful. However, after about the first year, candidates with a degree more than a year old were thrown into the "experienced professional" pool, even though they had no meaningful or related experience at all.
Thats why i hate the economy of today

Some people need to realize not everyones that way

There are plenty of folks who want to get ahead in their careers and there are plenty of folks that don't mind working in entry mid level office/ skilled labor jobs.

Just an expectation to force them to move up or move out is a pig move if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment