Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:09 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In many industries, there is an "up or out" mentality where if you're not advancing, you're out the door for someone younger and cheaper. I agree there is room for people to stay in staff level roles, but that's not the reality at some places.

As there should be. It's not necessarily try to promote up into management, but somewhere where your years of experience are more beneficial and where the company can charge the extra cost.

As I explained before, a company determines the sales price of their goods and services based upon their total costs.

Total cost includes:

Total Labor
Overhead
Material

Most companies determine labor by creating labor categories and salary ranges. They use this to quote work for customers and to set their profit margin against. If an admin assistant's salary range is $30k-$45k, and you use that figure in your data collection to quote against but then the admin assistant performing the work has been there for 20 years and makes $60k who do you think eats the difference? The company. Their margin can move from decent to dismal very quickly. The company can't just re-quote and up the cost of their product, because the customer may quickly go to a competitor who is more economical in cost.

When companies want people to change positions they aren't saying they don't need the position. They are saying they need you in a position where they can financially afford to keep you.

If someone wants to stay in a lower level position forever, they need to be willing to accept the possibility of no raises (other than maybe a bare minimum COLA). It's also frowned upon because it shows a company that you aren't willing to put in any effort above the minimum. It also makes bidding work more difficult for the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 03:10 AM

67 posts, read 49,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Some of your posts are nonsensical at best. This is one of them. I fully believe these are trolling posts now.

Belief is what our existence hinges upon. We believe things to be a certain way based upon our experience. You just posted your beliefs above.

Hard work leads to success. At some point, yes, you will likely fail at something. That is one of the building blocks to work harder to overcome that failure.

You must be able to comprehend that you are in fact a business owner (whether you own the business or the employer does). You own the business of you. You offer specific services to a customer (aka your employer). For that service your employer pays you.

If you want to offer additional services that are worth more, you learn new skills to add to your resume. You then look for opportunities to sell your new skills in the form of promotions in the company. If the company chooses someone else's services for that position, you have the choice to continue selling your same services to the employer, or move on to another employer who desires your new service. If you choose not to expand on your services then the company may eventually move on to new people who offer additional services that they desire and you are out of business (aka laid off, terminated, etc...).

Don't even get me started on taxes. While I am not a fan of paying them, I do understand that these taxes provide my kids with an education, help maintain our roads, pay our military, etc...

Tell me. What would you do if no one was required to pay taxes and the government suddenly decided that they were no longer going to provide protection from other countries, no longer going to maintain roads and bridges, and would no longer fund the public school system? Would you be willing to step up and help pay the cost for all of this? Absolutely not, because the cost would be so high due to so many not volunteering to help that you would be unable to afford it.

Again, common sense is king.
its not trolling,its just a critically realized, radical viewpoint you cant handle yet.
I dont think like the herd therefore i'm the one who is the problem? typical STate worshiping viewpoint.
I suppose you think saluting a flag should be a law too?
we are all entitled to an opinion...unless it scares the majority who then resort to calling you insane because they have no logical argument against it and dont want to look bad in front of their friends.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjackson View Post
its not trolling,its just a critically realized, radical viewpoint you cant handle yet.
I dont think like the herd therefore i'm the one who is the problem? typical STate worshiping viewpoint.
I suppose you think saluting a flag should be a law too?
we are all entitled to an opinion...unless it scares the majority who then resort to calling you insane because they have no logical argument against it and dont want to look bad in front of their friends.

We have provided you with logical reasoning until we're all blue in the face.

Whether you agree that money should be the method used to barter, the REALITY is that money is that tool. Whether you agree that we should have to work, the REALITY is that we do to earn money. The REALITY is that we need money to pay for the things we want and need to survive that we cannot create ourselves. The REALITY of the working world is that success doesn't come without sacrifice and hard work.

I don't worship anything. I do however recognize responsibility and reality and have determined the path I need to take to live a comfortable and happy life. I'd suggest you do the same. You're doomed to struggle and live in a conspiracy theorist world otherwise.

But... to your point. If you choose to live in an alternate reality, more power to you. I challenge you to this. Stop working and move totally off the grid where you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself. Live that life for a year or two and report back (you'll have to use a carrier pigeon since you wont have access to the internet). Let me know how your reality serves you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment