Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:22 AM

7 posts, read 9,130 times

Advertisements

Regarding men that deal with sexual harassment do you know any cases where it has happened and do you think it should be taken as seriously as female sexual harassment including punishment for the harasser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Legally, it is taken as seriously. As for punishment for the harasser, there is no legal mandates that decide. The only requirement is the harassment stops.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:08 PM

93 posts, read 65,566 times
I looked it up on the internet and apparently Demi Moore harassed Michael Douglas for a couple of hours in the mid-90s. It was horrible and painful for everyone involved. I don't think it was taken all that seriously.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109635/

I also found this although it's kind of dated:

Sexual Harassment Complaints By Males On The Rise: 2012 EEOC Enforcement and Litigation Statistics | Outten & Golden LLP

Old 03-27-2017, 03:18 PM

156 posts, read 124,013 times
In general men don't report sexual harassment as much as women do. Men typically like the attention I guess from females but not necessarily the same vice versa. That's why it's dangerous dating someone from work because that can lead to sexual harassment lawsuits.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:44 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,643,263 times
A law firm I worked with years ago, addressed an issue of sexual harassment involving a male associate and a female partner. She came on so strong to him that it was embarrassing and a few other female attorneys urged him to make a formal complaint. A couple of them added written testaments on his behalf. The managing partner and the ethics committee became involved and had a closed-door meeting with her. A general e-mail was sent to everyone reminding us that sexual harassment was illegal and would be dealt with seriously.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:27 PM

811 posts, read 622,801 times
Unless the "victim" suffers from extreme Low T, I would advise handling the sitch himself. If his mates find out that he's crying about it to strangers on the interweb he's in for a bigtime smack down.

The kind that will make him never, ever whine again.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:56 PM

106 posts, read 122,520 times
I'm a man and I've had this happen at two different workplaces. Contrary to what a previous comments suggests, it was neither welcomed nor liked, my testosterone levels are in the normal range, and my male friends don't criticize me for this.

In the first workplace, I was the only man in an office with women. They often made degrading comments about me for being a man and playing into gender stereotypes. I can't count how many times that someone would say "but you're a man" or make sexist remarks towards men in general around me. They would also comment on my appearance and make me do special tasks such as reaching something on a high shelf or bending over to pick up something heavy just as an excuse to look at my body. I know this because one of them told me.

The second instance was even more extreme. The female coworker would go into vivid details about her sex life and ask me very awkward and inappropriate questions about my male parts, which I refused to answer. She would follow me around the workplace and I would sometimes walk out of the bathroom and see her standing near the door. I avoided using the bathroom because of how awkward this made me feel.

My bosses at both jobs were never informed because it's common sense that a sexual harassment complaint from a man would be taken less seriously. They were both temporary gigs anyways so I didn't want to go through the effort. But that being said, I think that all sexual harassment claims should be treated equally. If my behavior in either of these workplaces was anything similar to these women, I would have been fired very quickly.

What I think makes both of these situations even more awkward is this: I'm openly gay and told these women this as an attempt to get the behavior to stop. It didn't work.

Last edited by as111; 03-27-2017 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 03-27-2017, 06:49 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Thanks for your honesty. There is and always will be a double standard until men speak out.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:00 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
I am a male. I was harassed by a grossly ugly gay male at one job.

WHen he walked in the first day he proudly announced he was gay and would take no [bleep].

AS long as he made lurid sexual comments to me, I could handle it. I could ignore words.

But one day in the backroom with no witnesses, he came up behind me and solidly grabbed my butt and said "I'm gonna get me some of that one of these days".

I wheeled on him, grabbed him by his neck and threw him and his head against the concrete wall, cocked my fist and told him "if you EVER touch me like that again I will knock your head so hard it will spin off and you won't know what hit you". The ONLY thing keeping me from actually hitting him was I could have lost my job, and been charged with assault.

I immediately went to my boss {also male} and told him exactly what transpired {including my reaction} and told him to keep him out of my department, or I would NOT be responsible for my actions. I also pointed out to the manager that the night before he FOLLOWED me to my home from work; and when I tried to slam the door in his face, he jammed his foot in the door. When I crushed his foot enough he pulled it out and left. I had not told my manager that yet. I told my boss he couldn't do much about that, but I wanted him to know what I was dealing with. I told him I COULD be charged with threatening another employee, but I'd file a large sexual harassment lawsuit against the company so fast IT'S head would spin if that happened.

The manager's jaw dropped in disbelief. At my statement or my reaction or what, I don't know.

The manager did keep him away from me, and in a matter of a week, found another reason to fire him.

It has never happened to me again, thank the gods, as I would probably react the same way again.

I will NOT have someone touching my body in a manner I DON'T like. Male OR female. At work or ANYWHERE.

I happen to be a strong willed male, but don't know how a smaller woman would/could be able to react to a larger more powerful man's physical advances like that. I hope it never happens to them.

Whew, even typing it out brought back up my ire at this creep.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-29-2017 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Abyss View Post
Regarding men that deal with sexual harassment do you know any cases where it has happened and do you think it should be taken as seriously as female sexual harassment including punishment for the harasser?
Of course it should be punished the same. Why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment