Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,908,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Hire the candidate most qualified for the position you are hiring for. Not the least qualified and friend of the family and potential beer/love buddy because at the end of the day, it makes you look inept as a hiring manager when the applicant doesn't pan out.
Companies don't hire the best qualified candidate. They hire the person who gives the best interview.

You have valid arguments about the entire process but at the end of the day, the people with the money make the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 04:11 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,693,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Companies don't hire the best qualified candidate. They hire the person who gives the best interview.

You have valid arguments about the entire process but at the end of the day, the people with the money make the rules.
That is absolutely not true. Most companies use a variety of factors to choose the candidate. At my last job, they would score the application and the interview and add them together to see which candidate was the top choice. They'd then look at the salary requirements and how long they'd likely stay. I know we had a lot of people who were the best interviewers who had unrealistic salary requirements or would leave quickly who were the best interviewers and they were not selected.

There are also people who can ruin their prospects after the interview. I know we had someone who was in the running for a position who was rude and unresponsive to the HR liaison when she was coordinating the background/reference checks. That got her disqualified.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 AM

738 posts, read 586,498 times
Default No. Third. Interviews. Ever.

Don't do em. It indicates indicisiveness.

Last time I asked for money and they didn't like that. Bye bye. Salvation Army work, dreamed up by useless HR.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM

179 posts, read 156,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The job process should be come on in. Fill out an application. If you want to start next week you can. That's it. Just like the old days. NO hr bimbos, online test, ect. It's all bull. If i owned a company i'd advertise in the paper, "come on in!'
That's what I would do. Even more so put a sign up in the window saying "help wanted." Then when someone walks in I would have that person fill out the application (on paper) there and talk to that person for a few minutes. If I felt good about that person I would hire on the spot.

I would never do the crap they do now by telling someone to fill an app online after that person walks into the building advertising that they are hiring.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:11 PM

465 posts, read 304,387 times
Like the old days, fill out an application. Companies waste so much time in the process only to hire someone internal in the end.

The adage of "If you don't like your job, find another one" is such blasphemy these days. Finding a new job isn't simple at all so no wonder there's many so miserable at their current ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment