Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,247 times

Advertisements

I know we all (probably) know some co-workers who abuse FMLA. Calling off work everyday just because they can't get in trouble for it.

It can't be just be me who notices this. Any stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
We all may suspect that co-workers are abusing FMLA, but we don't know. Even the person's supervisor is not told what affliction the person is suffering from, the letter from the doctor is only seen by HR and/or the employer's contracted FMLA administrator. People can seem perfectly healthy but have a disease that prevents them from working at times, such as Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). FMLA also applies to the person who must stay home to care for family members, including children and parents. Often an elderly parent will have multiple health issues requiring assistance and medical appointments. I'm sure there is abuse, just don't make assumptions.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:20 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Plenty of stories, do a search

Living it up on FMLA leave

My coworker is abusing FMLA and I'm the only one who knows

Old 07-19-2017, 07:23 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We all may suspect that co-workers are abusing FMLA, but we don't know. Even the person's supervisor is not told what affliction the person is suffering from, the letter from the doctor is only seen by HR and/or the employer's contracted FMLA administrator. People can seem perfectly healthy but have a disease that prevents them from working at times, such as Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). FMLA also applies to the person who must stay home to care for family members, including children and parents. Often an elderly parent will have multiple health issues requiring assistance and medical appointments. I'm sure there is abuse, just don't make assumptions.
But some people will come out and tell you that they are abusing FMLA.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
But some people will come out and tell you that they are abusing FMLA.
Yes, which is not too bright. I recall a case where the person's work involved lifting and had a back issue. When HR got wind of the fraud because they had bragged to someone who reported it, a private detective was hired and got video of the person playing basketball at a local school playground on a day they had called in. He was fired, and it was upheld by the Department of Labor after an investigation.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times
Here's the thing, if you're not in their chain of command or directly supervising them it's none of your business, and you should mind your own since you're ignorant of any facts.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:51 AM

285 posts, read 225,291 times
FMLA is usually unpaid. What's so great about "living it up" if you're burning through savings?

Old 07-19-2017, 01:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Here's the thing, if you're not in their chain of command or directly supervising them it's none of your business, and you should mind your own since you're ignorant of any facts.
This.

And, no, I don't know of anyone abusing FMLA and why you should even care is beyond me.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:15 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This.

And, no, I don't know of anyone abusing FMLA and why you should even care is beyond me.
Well, often people do know BECAUSE THE ABUSER brags about it!

I had a co-worker who was approved for FMLA to care for her granddaughter who had seizures. She took the kid to Disneyland, while on FMLA. Even bought annual passes for them to go often. WELL>>>>if the kid could go to Disneyland, then likely she did not need specialized care and could go to after school daycare, like all the other latch key kids. And she eventually did when the FMLA gig was up.

Why do I care?

Someone else had to do her job. Her job was protected---saved for her, so we could not rehire someone else to do it. So some work did not get done, some had to be done by already over worked employees. Her salary was still paid so no overtime for someone else to do her job.

Part of her job was to answer the phones and greet and direct anyone who walked in the door. So EVERYONE in the office had a 2 hour shift doing this job off and on by rotation for many weeks, as there had to be someone answering the phone and managing the walk in folks. A timekeeper from another office had to do our payroll. Lots of folks had to cover her absence.

Our work lets employees use their sick leave for this, and also annual-vacation leave from others, either donated specifically to that worker, or excess that was donated to another worker that passed away or retired on disability before using all the donated leave. So her pay continued.

So it does affect us (not me now, as I am retired) by the workload, but also because our leave bank would have less leave for deserving people because someone used leave they did not deserve.

Eventually this was investigated and she was not allowed to continue this.

Since I believe in karma, I was not surprised when she herself became ill and most of her FMLA leave was already fraudulently used. She got breast cancer So now she only gets paid if someone specifically donates their vacation time to her. And lots of folks remember her Disneyland trip brags, while we were doing her job...so donations will be fewer than normal.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
So missed a major part of the story. The first time I have heard of any abusing FMLA. Not sure why anyone would when it isn't paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment