Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I personally think this should be nation wide. By now we know animal abuse many times leads to people abuse and serial killing.

Animal abusers in N.Y. may have to register like sex offenders - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 01:21 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i am 110% in support of this! and agree this should be National!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Agreed! Great idea.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Agree as well!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM

353 posts, read 905,995 times
No, I do not agree and I find the whole thing to be ridiculous.

1) If I go to a store to buy a pet, I am not letting some power hungry, zealot run a background check to see if I am on some list. "YOUR PAPERS PLEASE...." No, I am not giving you anything except a method of payment.

2) I find the strong concern for animals to be nice, but at the same time, it gets too much. With all the cruelty and injustice that goes on towards humans, I find it unecessary (let's say for instance...) to harass someone for needing to give their cat away for whatever reason.

3) Continuing from part 2, it seems off topic, but not really. I am tired of going to email lists or message boards and seeing people get attacked because they are looking for a new home for their pet. It's like you have to write a 12 page disclaimer, before you even post anything to keep the animal nuts at bay.

4) I think NY is a social experiment. Let's see how much people will take. First we will ban soft drinks. Then we will start creating registries of people....

5) Who is paying for this?

Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I go with the majority. Not all abusers have a face like that football guy that is instantaneously recognized. I don't want my animals anywhere around anyone even SUSPECTED of abuse, and I surely don't want them employed anywhere my dogs might be, adopting from my local shelter, or in possession of a pet of any kind.

Agree, agree, agree. A thousand times I would vote for that.

I tell the story all the time about the perv trying to rescue a senior female Rottie from our rescue - he was stopped in time (thanks, Google!).

I absolutely think there should be a national registry and I don't think juveniles should be protected either...it's an early indicator of sociopathy or psychopathy and yeah - they need to be known early on.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I go with the majority. Not all abusers have a face like that football guy that is instantaneously recognized. I don't want my animals anywhere around anyone even SUSPECTED of abuse, and I surely don't want them employed anywhere my dogs might be, adopting from my local shelter, or in possession of a pet of any kind.

Agree, agree, agree. A thousand times I would vote for that.

I tell the story all the time about the perv trying to rescue a senior female Rottie from our rescue - he was stopped in time (thanks, Google!).

I absolutely think there should be a national registry and I don't think juveniles should be protected either...it's an early indicator of sociopathy or psychopathy and yeah - they need to be known early on.

I also agree 100%.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Absolutely right. Keep these people away from animals.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
No, I do not agree and I find the whole thing to be ridiculous.

1) If I go to a store to buy a pet, I am not letting some power hungry, zealot run a background check to see if I am on some list. "YOUR PAPERS PLEASE...." No, I am not giving you anything except a method of payment.

2) I find the strong concern for animals to be nice, but at the same time, it gets too much. With all the cruelty and injustice that goes on towards humans, I find it unecessary (let's say for instance...) to harass someone for needing to give their cat away for whatever reason.

3) Continuing from part 2, it seems off topic, but not really. I am tired of going to email lists or message boards and seeing people get attacked because they are looking for a new home for their pet. It's like you have to write a 12 page disclaimer, before you even post anything to keep the animal nuts at bay.

4) I think NY is a social experiment. Let's see how much people will take. First we will ban soft drinks. Then we will start creating registries of people....

5) Who is paying for this?
nobody is going to be classified as an animal abuser because they have to rehome a pet. Ridiculous.

Reminds me of the ridiculous excuses against trying to pass the ERA in the 70"s: No more segregated restrooms by sex and we will all have to change clothes in the same dressing rooms at the Y and at stores. and endless hysterical fear mongering about something which would have brought about a great deal of good.

And anybody who can read a newspaper knows not to purchase a pet from a pet store because most of them come from puppy mills which are a nightmare. Get a pet from a shelter or a rescue.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:13 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
I LOVE this idea!

And I agree.....it should be national.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs