Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I beg to differ. If people are choosing to use the word hustle, they shouldn't be hired by anyone not looking to get hustled.

Here's the original side hustle. Turns out it's a hustle.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...gers-ctxbvhv98
I was hustling at work today. I had to take care of a number of customers, teach a class, and receive a package all at the same time. I wasn't scamming anyone. I was busting my butt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 05:10 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Except for the chemicals that are now all over your clothes. I still iron but not that much anymore. When my late husband worked I ironed his work shirts even the ones that were supposedly wrinkle free. They just looked more professional when they were ironed. However, in this day and age I don't think ironing is a very lucrative side career. Other than myself and my mother, I don't know anybody that irons anymore.
Men's shirts do look better ironed (even though most are sold as non-iron). But really, what would anyone pay for that service? I think I would pay seventy five cents a shirt, or $3.25/week. I find ironing really quite zen, though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Agreed. It is almost impossible to replicate the perfect wrinkle-free crispness you can get with a shirt that has been cleaned at the dry cleaners. I have tried and even bought the old-fashioned style starch but nothing comes close. And if you consider that many dry cleaners launder shirts that way for $2 or less there isn't much market for hiring someone else to iron.

Not to mention with the casualness of our society besides dress shirts for work who even irons much anymore?
A lot of dry cleaners don't hand iron, which makes a difference.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:54 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Agreed. It is almost impossible to replicate the perfect wrinkle-free crispness you can get with a shirt that has been cleaned at the dry cleaners. I have tried and even bought the old-fashioned style starch but nothing comes close. And if you consider that many dry cleaners launder shirts that way for $2 or less there isn't much market for hiring someone else to iron.

Not to mention with the casualness of our society besides dress shirts for work who even irons much anymore?

Again with all due respect some of you don't know what you are talking about.

There are men who pay far more than the one or two dollars commonly charged by local dry cleaners/shirt laundries for someone to hand wash and iron their shirts.

The commercial laundering process of shirts is very hard on fabric and greatly shortens the lifespan of bespoke shirts. The machines used for pressing can (and often do) leave marks and or stretch collars out of shape.

Shirt Tales

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...t-laundry-cost

Old 08-02-2017, 06:36 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:

Years ago I was a shirt presser working at a dry cleaners. The crispness you get is mainly due to the starch they use, and the heat from the machines bakes it in.

I iron my work clothes every Sunday. I don't love doing it, but like how my clothes look and feel when they are ironed. Plus the starch helps the clothes last longer IMO.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:51 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You're welcome!

DH and I are both handy and we've thought of doing a side hustle ourselves where we do things for people who are too clueless or lazy to do them themselves...like replacing sprinkler heads or a toilet fill valve. Both take very little time.
That's called a Handyman (Handy person?) business.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:13 PM

894 posts, read 587,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think delivering sandwiches or other lunch stuff to offices would make a lot of sense.
I think you're right.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You're welcome!

DH and I are both handy and we've thought of doing a side hustle ourselves where we do things for people who are too clueless or lazy to do them themselves...like replacing sprinkler heads or a toilet fill valve. Both take very little time.
Several years ago, when I took off from working for a while, I did "odd jobs" for clients I had picked up by word of mouth. I could make $100 easy for 3-4 hours of cleaning out a closet, taking dogs to the groomer or stopping by a couple of times a day to play with the dog, packing stuff up and taking it to FedEx, etc. Quite often, I'd have 2-3 $100 jobs a day. "People with money" are more than willing to pay to have things done that the rest of us do for ourselves.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:12 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
OP, have you ever thought about signing on as a contractor with a company that offers home services like window cleaning, carpet cleaning, tile & grout cleaning, appliance repair, plumbing, handyman assignments, electrical work, painting, etc?

Obviously, you would need specialized training to work some of the gigs, but how about learning to do something like carpet cleaning, window cleaning, or tile & grout cleaning, and handling short assignments ?

I use one such company that has set prices, and luv the fact that it's quick and easy for me to get someone out here for repairs, etc. They're sort of like an Uber for home services.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
That's called a Handyman (Handy person?) business.
Yup, and there's tons of those around. Since people keep moving to this area, though, the established ones with reputations are usually busy and expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Several years ago, when I took off from working for a while, I did "odd jobs" for clients I had picked up by word of mouth. I could make $100 easy for 3-4 hours of cleaning out a closet, taking dogs to the groomer or stopping by a couple of times a day to play with the dog, packing stuff up and taking it to FedEx, etc. Quite often, I'd have 2-3 $100 jobs a day. "People with money" are more than willing to pay to have things done that the rest of us do for ourselves.
Yup, they are. We pay someone to cut our grass and clean our house twice a month. Not because we're incapable of doing it ourselves (to the same or higher standard) but because we're paying to get our time back.

Personally I wouldn't pay someone to clean out a closet, take packages to FedEx, or walk a dog...but it doesn't surprise me that others would.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:49 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I was hustling at work today. I had to take care of a number of customers, teach a class, and receive a package all at the same time. I wasn't scamming anyone. I was busting my butt!
Now that's the kind of hustling I can get behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment