Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I know, they are all copying that Uber radio ad, but words still mean things, and hustling is hustling. If that's the term they choose to use, I'm not going to trust them with any odd jobs I may be looking to hire out. I'm not looking to get hustled, I'm just looking to get my gutters cleaned.
Your not looking to get hustled but you want them to hustle when they work. Hustle also means to work fast, go fast. In work you want your employees to hustle. A side hustle is someone that wants to work hard to get some extra money. A coach might ask the players to hustle. He is not saying to rip anyone off he wants them to get to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
House cleaner. When the wife and I were both working we had one every Friday and I remember paying $50 for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I know she worked every day of the week and she had three customers a day so it wasn't bad money being cash.

She was good and she was prompt.

This was also 15 to 20 years ago.
Around here they charge $150 to clean a house.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:55 AM

I'm 52 and understand what a side hustle is and anyone that thinks they are going to be taken can go find someone less hungry and willing to do what ever job that they want done. You probably get a better deal from someone doing willing to hustle than with anyone else. As an example from time to time I start doing locksmith work on the side. It is a side hustle, side job, what ever you want to call it. I can guarantee that I have the best prices in town. I also do it without a business license, shop, or insurance. I have the tools though. I have opened up homes and cars, re-keyed places of business and homes. Installed new locks and door hardware. My rates keep me happy and the customer happy.

Another example is a painter. Lets say a guy works for a painting contractor. Someone wants to know about painting there home. He tells them that he can do the job and you end up getting a great deal. The thing is that the painter does not do the job thru the company that he works for, he does it on the side. That is a classic side hustle.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Your not looking to get hustled but you want them to hustle when they work. Hustle also means to work fast, go fast. In work you want your employees to hustle. A side hustle is someone that wants to work hard to get some extra money. A coach might ask the players to hustle. He is not saying to rip anyone off he wants them to get to work.
Agree with most of this. The bolded is hogwash. See my previous link about the Uber scam. Uber made the term popular, and it is an old fashioned hustle, as in scam. Taking hustling mainstream is not a good idea and I will call it out where I see it.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:11 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Another example is a painter. Lets say a guy works for a painting contractor. Someone wants to know about painting there home. He tells them that he can do the job and you end up getting a great deal. The thing is that the painter does not do the job thru the company that he works for, he does it on the side. That is a classic side hustle.
That's a good example of a hustle. If the reason the guy got the job is because of the reputation and advertisement of his employer --and he took business away from him--just because he could do it cheaper, I'd definitely fire him and let him go 'hustle' on his own.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:58 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
You might do alright taking in Laundry rather than just ironing. It used to be a thing with Blue Collar Housewives. There were times when I was younger, busier and living in an APT with questionable laundry facilities that I would take my laundry to a laundromat that would wash and fold them. It was expensive but at the time I was working long hours a lot.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:29 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
CNN has an article today on women who have side hustles. So clearly, Uncle Bully is the only one in the dark about side hustles.

The reason women are working more side hustles - Aug. 3, 2017

Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Yes, there are people who would hire you to do their ironing. My community has a very active online presence and I've seen posts on our local social media group in just the last couple of weeks where people were looking to hire someone to iron.

You would have to pick up and drop off to make it feasible though - the point of someone hiring this out is that they want to save time and having to drop off and pick up from you would negate some of that time savings.

And I don't think it's a very high volume gig. Plus if you aren't connected to a community like mine (professional and fairly affluent with more money than time - they also buy the ready to cook meals A LOT!) I think you'd have a tougher time trying to develop a customer base.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:40 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
CNN has an article today on women who have side hustles. So clearly, Uncle Bully is the only one in the dark about side hustles.

The reason women are working more side hustles - Aug. 3, 2017
Some people just think it's a dumb phrase, I don't think those who think for themselves change their opinion according to what CNN uses for dumb phrases. On the other hand, there will be more who think it's a pretty clever phrase to use today.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:08 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Some people just think it's a dumb phrase, I don't think those who think for themselves change their opinion according to what CNN uses for dumb phrases. On the other hand, there will be more who think it's a pretty clever phrase to use today.
It's not clever to tell people you expect to get business from that you intend to hustle them.

"When someone tells you they want to hustle you, believe them". Maya Angelou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment