Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:37 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I think if you have a negative connotation about the word hustle then it just means you are of a certain vintage. The phrase side hustle doesn't mean any scamming is going on in 2017.
I beg to differ. If people are choosing to use the word hustle, they shouldn't be hired by anyone not looking to get hustled.

Here's the original side hustle. Turns out it's a hustle.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...gers-ctxbvhv98
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:41 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
A "side hustle" is a term mostly younger people use to describe a second job on the side to make extra money. It's not "hustling people."
Only if by "younger", you mean the less than 45yo crowd. I'm about to be 40, and many people in my age group use the term "side hustle".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I know, they are all copying that Uber radio ad, but words still mean things, and hustling is hustling. If that's the term they choose to use, I'm not going to trust them with any odd jobs I may be looking to hire out. I'm not looking to get hustled, I'm just looking to get my gutters cleaned.
You're being too literal about it.

My friend's side hustle is to drive for Uber, mine was weekend babysitting, my husband's is writing HS football game stories for a local online media outlet. All above board, we are not literally hustling people out of their money.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...ng-side-hustle

Old 08-02-2017, 10:02 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I'm almost 40 and I call a side job a "side hustle." Weird that this is even a controversy. LOL But maybe someone wouldn't want to hire their uncle or a bully to do side work, and that would be their prerogative. So if someone doesn't want to hire a "side hustler," then they should find someone else.

Anyway, back on topic:

As for the ironing, I agree with the rest that it's not likely to be profitable. You know what is, though, if you like homemaking type things? Meals. Think about the people who buy Blue Apron and all those other meal services. Those companies deliver things like chopped onions, seasonings, and sliced up chicken, along with a recipe, and they charge a premium! If you like cooking at least as much as you like laundry/ironing, you could do that type of meal prep so that all the people with no time (or no cooking skills) have to do is follow your directions. Saute these items, add to pan, bake for 40 minutes at 350. Include a side salad or some freshly trimmed green beans and minced garlic for them to saute as an easy side dish, or include a bag of little potatoes to toss in the oven.

Actually, writing this out makes me want to do this one day when I have more time... I love cooking.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
M<y wife sews and quilts and irons fabric sometimes, but for our clothes, we never have to iron. The dryer even has a water hose attached for steam, so clothes always come out ready to hang and/or wear. Actually, I do iron sometimes when traveling on business but that's at the hotel, when my clothes are wrinkled from the suitcase, but if I wanted to pay they already have people to do that.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
After ironing my late husband's Army fatigues and khakis every.single.freaking.day, iron in one hand, a can of spray starch in the other, lining up all the creases in the exact right places.....I swore I'd never iron again.

I did, but not much.

I haven't for years.

I'd be a poor customer for an ironing service.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:48 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
I had some single male co workers that were for lack of a better word, Inept at ironing. Often I offered to tend to the shirts and pants. None of them ever thought it was anything more than a business transaction. I a was like a Mom to them I suppose....
Sure they "could" dropit off at the dry cleaners and pay 2.50 per shirt, or they could leave the items in a bag, and I would take it home to clean and press.

I find ironing to be relaxing and oddly therapeutic.

Usually the 25- 30$ I made each week went towards gasoline or some small bill (water,sewer...)

Every little bit helped!

A younger generation co worker said she couldn't stoop to such level to "iron", I said, I don't stoop either. I'm of good posture

Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I had some single male co workers that were for lack of a better word, Inept at ironing. Often I offered to tend to the shirts and pants. None of them ever thought it was anything more than a business transaction. I a was like a Mom to them I suppose....
Sure they "could" dropit off at the dry cleaners and pay 2.50 per shirt, or they could leave the items in a bag, and I would take it home to clean and press.
I find ironing to be relaxing and oddly therapeutic.
Usually the 25- 30$ I made each week went towards gasoline or some small bill (water,sewer...)
Every little bit helped!
A younger generation co worker said she couldn't stoop to such level to "iron", I said, I don't stoop either. I'm of good posture ;)
LOL
My Mother seemed to enjoy ironing with the few items she did iron.
I think it is like mowing the lawn, all you have to do is mow, nothing more.
When you iron all you have to do is iron.
I bake, cook or crochet when I need therapeutic relaxation.
I also clean and sort through old paperwork and get items ready to donate, very cathartic.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:08 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Only if by "younger", you mean the less than 45yo crowd. I'm about to be 40, and many people in my age group use the term "side hustle".
I'm between 40 and 45 myself. I know what a "side hustle" is.

I'm guessing Uncle Bully is over 45.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm between 40 and 45 myself. I know what a "side hustle" is.

I'm guessing Uncle Bully is over 45.
Not over 45. Here's a snippet from the article I linked to above, about Uber, the original "side hustle". (it's the part they let you read for free so it's not a copyright infringement)

"Uber drivers are secretly colluding to cause price surges that allow them to charge customers more, according to research seen by The Times.

Academics interviewed Uber drivers in London and New York and analysed 1,012 posts on the independent Uberpeople.net site, finding that drivers were playing the company’s algorithms.

According to the researchers, drivers in the same area co-ordinate to log out of the taxi-hailing app so that their cars drop off the list of available rides.

This causes prices to increase in line with the economics of supply and demand, with fares potentially rising to several times the normal rate."

That my friends is a hustle. It's the side hustle that got everybody saying side hustle, and it's a scam.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:51 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
While looking for full-time work, I was trying to think of a reasonable hustle to bring me a few dollars for awhile.

So my question is, do you think taking in other people's ironing is a good idea now in 2017 or is it too old-fashioned?

I ask if it's too old-fashioned of a hustle idea because I know some people skip ironing altogether & just wear their clothes straight out the clothes dryer.

Ignore some of these comments; all over North America and Europe there are plenty of ironing services. These range from those doing clothing to and or persons with large mangles (ironers) that do flatwork as well.

Just Google "ironing services" which shall provide far better and often reliable information than just putting a query out on these forums.

Furthermore just for the record there still are women (and a few men I shouldn't wonder) that "take in washing" to earn a living.

In our neck of the woods the Latino-Hispanic women go around offering laundry services. They pick up washing, take it to local laundromats for washing and drying, fold and return. Some also do ironing (at their homes or clients).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment