Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
So, is it "no one will hire you if you have no skills" or is it "you are not looking for work"

I simply answered a question about how difficult it is to get a job with no skills or experience, not complaining about the government.
They're probably talking in generalities, not specifically to you. But I believe some people have provided some info on some state-funded training programs in TN at little to no cost to you. Have you had a chance to check them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Please post examples. Or feel free to PM them to me.

Frankly, I believe it's an anomaly.

"The only people that I know that like work are the sociopaths who steal other peoples ideas, take credit for others work, and bully people."

Either you don't associate with the right people or else you have a twisted view of people who really, really enjoy what they do for a living.

BTW: In order to be bullied, one has to allow themselves to be bullied. Such a postmodern term.
All you have to do is look in this very thread and your own comments in this thread like this one. It's typical of the over zelous boot strapper, kick em' when they're down crowd. The condescending post about bullying is a prime example.

I wonder why you made this thread if it wasn't to pick on the worker bees.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:03 AM

944 posts, read 1,211,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Traditional internet forums like CD tend to run more affluent and educated. But of course that group can be just as disgruntled as anyone else.
Pretty much, I mean this is forum that is primarily used to discuss things like "what area of Phoenix is the most desirable and has the best schools" or "how do I find a mover to get from LA to Miami" or "from an urban planning perspective, is Memphis better or worse than Nashville". Basically, it is self selecting for relative affluence.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:19 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
All you have to do is look in this very thread and your own comments in this thread like this one. It's typical of the over zelous boot strapper, kick em' when they're down crowd. The condescending post about bullying is a prime example.

I wonder why you made this thread if it wasn't to pick on the worker bees.

I don't think that's it. Sometimes helping someone up requires forcing them to face the facts. The facts now point to more and more people living with a victim mentality instead of being self aware and trying to get up on their own. These types of people want things handed to them. Those of us who had to earn things the hard way refuse to give it to someone who we know has the capability to make it.

We're all worker bees. If not now, we were at some point in time. Nowadays, the second that you show someone the error of their ways, mention working hard, trying something different, etc.. people start throwing around terms like bullying, kick them when they're down, etc.... Accountability is a hard pill to swallow sometimes.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I don't think that's it. Sometimes helping someone up requires forcing them to face the facts. The facts now point to more and more people living with a victim mentality instead of being self aware and trying to get up on their own. These types of people want things handed to them. Those of us who had to earn things the hard way refuse to give it to someone who we know has the capability to make it.

We're all worker bees. If not now, we were at some point in time. Nowadays, the second that you show someone the error of their ways, mention working hard, trying something different, etc.. people start throwing around terms like bullying, kick them when they're down, etc.... Accountability is a hard pill to swallow sometimes.
And that is the problem, many assume that others haven't tried all of that. Again just-world fallacy. Quite frankly this thread was mean-spirited.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
And that is the problem, many assume that others haven't tried all of that. Again just-world fallacy. Quite frankly this thread was mean-spirited.
These people ought to read the book, Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. A very interesting investigation into what factors in to the success of very successful people. The "bootstraps" folks often attribute success solely to themselves without recognizing the outside factors or conditions that may have helped along the way.

That said, I still think OP has an opportunity to thrive if he remains persistent in his efforts. There are low cost options out there, he just needs to be diligent about pursuing them.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
These people ought to read the book, Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. A very interesting investigation into what factors in to the success of very successful people.
Yup, it is a great book!

It is also really really hard to see that you have had help, sturdier pre-made boot straps and other advantages when they are all you have known.

It is unfathomable to think some people didn't have boot straps to start and had to scavenge for the materials for dozens of years to even get started.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup, it is a great book!

It is also really really hard to see that you have had help, sturdier pre-made boot straps and other advantages when they are all you have known.

It is unfathomable to think some people didn't have boot straps to start and had to scavenge for the materials for dozens of years to even get started.
It's certainly more difficult for some than others. As a first gen college grad, I can attest to that when I compare my life to other well-to-do Millennials who go months or sometimes years without jobs and somehow still remain afloat. The only thing I can think is that their parents continue to finance their lifestyles, which is beyond comprehension to me.

However, I do think that with a "can-do" attitude, a lot more can be achieved than compared to writing yourself off because you face too many disadvantages or obstacles. Be optimistic, hopeful, and ambitious, but also practical.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:56 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:

People are just going by what is said.... if the OP has tried the things listed, then they need to say that. Then more advice can be offered. But most of us know that persistence is key. The world isn't a "hold your hand and make it all better" place. It requires thick skin to navigate. Honesty isn't meant to be mean-spirited, but that cold splash of water in the morning that some people need to wake up.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:29 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
usedgoats4sale is in my local area and you all are very unfamiliar with the local problems.

This is an area that has historically been heavily dependent on manufacturing and mining in nearby southwest Virginia. Most of those jobs have been outright eliminated due to changes in the economy, offshored, outsourced to temp firms that often pay less than FTEs did twenty years ago, etc. In the place of those middle class jobs, we have lots of call centers, home health aides, and other low end jobs that often pay <$10/hr. We are much more in tune with Youngstown, OH than we are with Nashville.

You can find work around here, but it is almost exclusively low end and low paying. I know numerous able, healthy people, who should be working, but are not due to various assistance payments. Many people here are on housing assistance, food stamps, disability, etc. There is no point in working if most jobs pay <$10/hr if you're on the dole.

Unless you are going to school for a healthcare or education related degree, education here is worthless. I was a finance major, graduated back in 2010, and hoped to get on in the corporate finance department at one of the several large companies, each employing thousands. I never got an offer, nor did anyone I personally know. Being on the inside of one of those organizations now supporting a finance department, there has been one person that I know of who has left the department in the year I've been here, and that was a clerk. There is virtually no turnover, little growth, and almost no new openings.

This isn't an area that reflects the economy in mainstream America. It has its own rules and standards that most people outside the area are completely unfamiliar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment