Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:03 PM

144 posts, read 115,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
...........Do you have no money, or do you have more than $2250 in the bank? I admit that those are harsh rules, but you need to learn to work the system.
At times I may have more or less than that in my account. That small amount of money goes very quickly. I can't do anything with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
.........Now, with minimum wage, you have to live on rice and beans. You have to do whatever it takes to bring up your income as well as support each other into a better life situation. This means no smoking, no making babies (at least for a while), no wasting what little you earned on weed, no eating out, and certainly no walking out of your job because you felt like it.

Your first step right now is to get a job, any job. Work yourself to death with that job. You're living at home for free now, so use this time to (1) save and (2) find a life partner. Again, no breeding. Let me repeat, no breeding. A baby will not somehow magically make your life better. I don't know why so many poor people breed kids they can't support. Have I mentioned no breeding?

Remember this. You're going to face tough times. Either you have tough times now and save like you've never saved before or you're going to have tough times in the future when you end up under a bridge.

Now, get out there and get to work!
I don't do any of that, not a problem (especially the breeding part, there are no women out there that are interested in carless, jobless, toothless, pos turd that lives at home) I save everything I make. I have never had any luxuries, like a cell phone, cable, tv, going out, socializing, car, new clothes/shoes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Why can't you just get student loans? Maybe I missed it, but if you don't qualify for grants you should at least be able to get loans.
I was under the impression I need a cosigner. A lot of the loans offered were through pay day loans. I have never felt comfortable borrowing. I did not want to pay 35% interest rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:17 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
At times I may have more or less than that in my account. That small amount of money goes very quickly. I can't do anything with that.
Yes, it is a small amount of money. Learn to manage it, and if getting SNAP is a goal, keep your account balance under whatever amount you have to. Hold off on depositing checks, work in cash, do what you have to do.

Quote:
I was under the impression I need a cosigner. A lot of the loans offered were through pay day loans. I have never felt comfortable borrowing. I did not want to pay 35% interest rates.
You are avoiding the Pell grant option. Get your paperwork together, you should be able to qualify.

Perkins loans don't need a co-signer, and the interest rate is 5%, not 35%.

To recap, you have a vastly distorted view of tuition, haven't pursued pell grants, and cannot be bothered to google the phrase "student loan interest rates".

If you don't want to go to school, that is fine, but don't blame your lack of success on lack of opportunity. Place the blame on your own lack of initiative.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:01 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,118,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes, it is a small amount of money. Learn to manage it, and if getting SNAP is a goal, keep your account balance under whatever amount you have to. Hold off on depositing checks, work in cash, do what you have to do.

You are avoiding the Pell grant option. Get your paperwork together, you should be able to qualify.

Perkins loans don't need a co-signer, and the interest rate is 5%, not 35%.

To recap, you have a vastly distorted view of tuition, haven't pursued pell grants, and cannot be bothered to google the phrase "student loan interest rates".

If you don't want to go to school, that is fine, but don't blame your lack of success on lack of opportunity. Place the blame on your own lack of initiative.
Personally, I don't think school is a good idea for him.

School only works to one's advantage if one has a definite plan and goal. I have seen too many young people going to college just because it's expected of them and they end up either getting a worthless degree or drop out and they all ended up heavily in debt.

Goat doesn't sound to me like he is willing to work toward a better situation. Going to school now will only get him heavily in debt.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Personally, I don't think school is a good idea for him.

School only works to one's advantage if one has a definite plan and goal. I have seen too many young people going to college just because it's expected of them and they end up either getting a worthless degree or drop out and they all ended up heavily in debt.

Goat doesn't sound to me like he is willing to work toward a better situation. Going to school now will only get him heavily in debt.
You may be right. I was simply pointing out that it could be done, and the direct costs would be covered. I obviously couldn't comment on commuting costs and the like.

Goats would need to develop a plan, probably including moving to a more desirable location. That is off topic for this thread.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:15 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Quote:
Are you saying that I should stay in low paying dead end 7/hr. jobs? By "abandon" do you mean, "mutually agree to move on to a higher paying job" ? I would like to know which one would be the great opportunity.

I'm saying that you can take a low paying job and turn that into something better over time. Every low paying job offers some sort of learning potential and skill. You just have to retain that knowledge.

Case in point... when I moved away from home I had no college degree and didn't know anyone. I took an $8/hr job installing seamless gutter and eventually turned that into a $50k+/year job. Here's a high level view of how it worked.

We typically installed gutter on 4-5 houses per day with myself and the owner. We hustled. On one job, the homeowner pulled me to the side and told me that he liked me hustle and asked if I would be interested in a job working for his rental company as a helper to deliver and install equipment at events. He started me at $8.50/hr. Within 2 years I was at $15/hr and the lead supervisor of the crews.

Late one evening I was making an emergency repair to one of our trucks on site of a wedding event we were setting up. We needed to move quickly to get out before the rehearsal dinner began. I had the guys organized and moving while I crawled under the truck. The bride's father took notice that I was managing a few different crisis at once and that I seemed to have some general knowledge of vehicles, so he offered me a job at the dealership as a service writer. He started me at $17/hr. After a year, I was offered the outside sales rep position due to positive upselling in the service department. They started me at $35k/base, plus a truck, laptop, and phone, and 3% commission. In 2008, the recession hit and the company laid about half of us off as truck shops closed up. By this time I was two years into my four year degree.

Out of work, I took some odd jobs to keep me going until we could get back on our feet. Tuition was paid for that quarter, so I continued on with school. One of those odd jobs was at the home of a guy whose son went to school with my son. He needed me to install some cabinets, run some Cat5 cable, and a few other odds and ends. While there, he was fiddling with some equipment in his home workshop and asked if I knew how to properly set up his table saw and band saw. Coincidentally, my father has a woodshop and I do know how. So I went out and set them up for him free of charge.

A few weeks later I got a call to come interview with them for a position that was open. The company brought me in as their inventory clerk at $14.50/hr. I developed a plan to get them back current on late deliveries, went through some lean events, and process improvements. In my second year, the owner came to me and advised that he wanted to promote me to the Fabrication dept. manager as soon as I graduated college. As soon as I graduated, he promoted me and I received a $55k salary, plus quarterly bonuses.

I have since moved on in that industry and have worked my way up.

Quote:
Feel free to share your construction experience, because I would love to talk about the difficulty of getting a construction job in 07-08. No, they did not pay. At the time we did not know why the bank would not release payroll. You can refuse to believe it all you want but there was a housing based economic collapse at that time.

Which piece of experience do you want? Framing, roofing, electrical, plumbing, foundation, finish work? I understand that 07-08 was difficult, but it was not impossible. If construction wasn't it, then get into another industry. But find a place and stick it out whether it was low paying or not.

Quote:
"The secret to success" Would you quote where I said this, please. I said "free education resources" such as online computer programming courses. But apparently you can't get that online. I would love to enroll in classes, unfortunately, my family is not rich. I don't have 30,000 laying around. I have to pay for that out of pocket. Making minimum wage, that takes awhile. There are no internships for people not enrolled in education. Every single listing (I have seen) for internships have mandatory minimum education requirements.

My point was that those "free education resources" aren't going to buy you anything in the working world. No company is going to hire you solely based upon a training you took online in your spare time. You're going to have to go to school. My family was FAR from rich. We grew up extremely poor. However, I scratched and saved, wrote papers to receive grants, and did whatever I could to pay for school one class at a time. I made it my #1 financial priority to get me to something better. You only get out of life what you put into it. Minimal effort creates minimal reward.

You don't have to go to college either... you could go to a trade school which is much more affordable and learn a skill. A lot of trades pay decent living wages.

There are numerous options on careers out there if you use your head when looking for them. Make smart decisions, and stick with them. Being indecisive and quick to leave a job only puts you further behind.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Inheritance? SSI? There are lots of people out there that are like this. There is usually some sort of mental or physical disability/handicap the precludes them from entering the workforce and being a productive member of society.
I totally get that. Just don't come on forums complaining how you can't get a job because of society, the economy, the government, unfair employers, etc. Admit that you aren't looking to work.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I'm saying that you can take a low paying job and turn that into something better over time. Every low paying job offers some sort of learning potential and skill. You just have to retain that knowledge.

Case in point... when I moved away from home I had no college degree and didn't know anyone. I took an $8/hr job installing seamless gutter and eventually turned that into a $50k+/year job. Here's a high level view of how it worked ..............(snip).................. numerous options on careers out there if you use your head when looking for them. Make smart decisions, and stick with them. Being indecisive and quick to leave a job only puts you further behind.
Thanks for sharing. It seems like you had many opportunities, you were in a position to take advantage. You took advantage and then you were rewarded. This not something I ever have ever experienced. I worked very hard. (contrary to many claims from people on these forums) I worked 16 hour days in construction. If you were in construction (roofing, electrical, plumbing, foundation) then you know how hard this is. I did this for a few years, with the promise that I would receive compensation. (portion of the profit) Guess what. When all was done, the properties sat for while. When they finally sold, the developers disappeared. I finally got a few grand (2k) out of it and learned my lesson. Moved across the country. Got a job in construction again. It was fine for a while, then they started getting late with paychecks. Then couldn't pay for materials. Then hours got cut back, not because of performance, the bank was refusing to release funds. The son of the owner of the development company was running off with payroll for fun time in Vegas. Instead of sticking it out, I quit. This is right at 07/08. Moved back home. Tried to find work in construction. There were no jobs. Tried to get any job, anywhere, everyone wanted experience and references. This is for menial factory work. Not even skilled labor. Basic assembly. I have no references here. They have all disappeared. So effectively, I have been unemployed for years. With so many people unemployed there are many people with experience in front of me.

You seem to be surrounded by people with money. Every person you talk about, owns businesses. They throw jobs around and offer to double wages. You have experience and an education. I think that a big difference is that for all your hard work, you were paid.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Whose problem is it if you have no education or skills? Honestly, why would someone hire you if you can't do anything. Go get some skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I totally get that. Just don't come on forums complaining how you can't get a job because of society, the economy, the government, unfair employers, etc. Admit that you aren't looking to work.
So, is it "no one will hire you if you have no skills" or is it "you are not looking for work"

I simply answered a question about how difficult it is to get a job with no skills or experience, not complaining about the government.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:37 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. It seems like you had many opportunities, you were in a position to take advantage. You took advantage and then you were rewarded.
We ALL have many opportunities but sometimes they are disguised and take effort to uncover them. That's the difference here. The opportunities didn't just plop themselves down in front of me. Working hard allowed those hidden opportunities to present themselves. Rest assured I worked very hard to get them to appear. As did many people.

Quote:
This not something I ever have ever experienced.
This is not something you recognized. There is a key difference. The opportunities were and are still there if you can identify them. You have to be smart about it.

Quote:
I worked very hard. (contrary to many claims from people on these forums) I worked 16 hour days in construction. If you were in construction (roofing, electrical, plumbing, foundation) then you know how hard this is. I did this for a few years, with the promise that I would receive compensation. (portion of the profit) Guess what. When all was done, the properties sat for while. When they finally sold, the developers disappeared. I finally got a few grand (2k) out of it and learned my lesson.
This goes back to actually realizing the opportunity. This sounds more like you jumped in blindly with the hopes of a lot of money quickly. When you decide to go after a shaky opportunity like this without evaluating the risk you get what you got unfortunately. I would never work for a few years before getting compensation. My time is best spent elsewhere. I had a similar opportunity in Real Estate in 2003. I got in and within a year got out when I realized it was draining my resources but not providing the return that was negotiated. It's important to know when to cut bait. There are people out to use you every day. You have to be wise enough to know when to call a spade a spade.

Quote:
Moved across the country. Got a job in construction again. It was fine for a while, then they started getting late with paychecks. Then couldn't pay for materials. Then hours got cut back, not because of performance, the bank was refusing to release funds. The son of the owner of the development company was running off with payroll for fun time in Vegas. Instead of sticking it out, I quit.
This one is understandable. It's also how my dad began his construction business. His boss would drop him at a work site and go drink for the day. Eventually folks began asking my dad to do the work direct for them and we slowly began building the business. Eventually his old boss closed up shop and dad took all of the work. He saw an opportunity presenting itself and knew when to act on it. This is a key element in success.

Quote:
This is right at 07/08. Moved back home. Tried to find work in construction. There were no jobs. Tried to get any job, anywhere, everyone wanted experience and references. This is for menial factory work. Not even skilled labor. Basic assembly. I have no references here. They have all disappeared. So effectively, I have been unemployed for years. With so many people unemployed there are many people with experience in front of me.
When I moved to Huntsville, I had no experience outside of construction experience with my father. Do you know how many jobs I applied for where people laughed at me for my "experience" working for my dad? I was once hired to do finish work on base housing and on my first paycheck I was paid $8/hr instead of the agreed upon $11. Why? Because he said that I was too young to have the experience I claimed and he paid me as a helper. I didn't stay long. I didn't include the entire list of jobs I've had. Only the ones that helped me get somewhere else. I left construction to do landscaping, left landscaping to go to a factory as a temp, left the factory to do gutters, left gutters to be a delivery driver at the rental company, left the rental company to be a service writer, flipped into a sales role, then got laid off. I took a job at a call center (who will hire anyone) just to pay the bills. Left the call center to go into medical billing for better hours (to finish my school work), left medical billing for aerospace manufacturing as a clerk and was advanced into management. Left that job for govt contracting manufacturing as a planner. Left that job to take what I have now back into management. It was NOT an easy road.

Quote:
You seem to be surrounded by people with money. Every person you talk about, owns businesses. They throw jobs around and offer to double wages. You have experience and an education. I think that a big difference is that for all your hard work, you were paid.
Don't assume that people who own businesses make a lot of money. Dad had two businesses. We did construction during the day and built cabinets in his woodshop at night. All built by us, and all paid for by us. It took a LONG time and a lot of 7 day workweeks to get to a point where there was no debt. He also lives in an extremely small town, so while he turns a lot of money there is very little that is profit. His typical yearly net income never got above $50k. Ever.

The other businesses I worked for met me while I was doing grunt work somewhere else. I wasn't smoozing them or hanging out with them on the weekends. I just put my head down and work hard as do many people. That will eventually pay off. I didn't have my education behind me until 2012. I waited 8 years after HS to go to college and for anything I couldn't get a grant for, I paid for out of my pocket. Spent a lot of time eating ramen noodles and living in ridiculously gross places to save the money. Experience came through work. No one can give you that. I am not afraid to do any job and will never turn down a job that will gain me experience.

The big difference isn't that for all my hard work I got paid.... that's anyone who actually works hard. Working hard requires more than physical labor. It involves smart thinking as well.

You are using all of these excuses as a crutch for why you cannot succeed. You CAN succeed if you truly want to. But no one is going to give it to you so you either make up your mind to do whatever you have to, or you fail. Simple as that.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:39 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
How does one pay 1200 (or even 600) rent when part time min wage barely brings 450
Depends on where you live, but roommates are an option... around here you'll need $800+ even with shared housing ($2000+ for your OWN place), but in some areas $300-500 would be sufficient. Also, I'm just saying that would be a START, not the end of your issues. If you start working part-time while living with your parents, you'd be able to save up enough to eventually move out. It's not easy, but certainly possible as a starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment