Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:02 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,481,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
I like CD because whatever people say, it's superior to most places on the internet for general work discussion. The userbase here is older, more experienced, generally well-to-do and people have perspective you wouldn't find most other places. That's until someone mentions "Trump" and then IQ's are suddenly divided by 10.
The downside is that the older demographic can be somewhat out of touch with modern day workforce issues that they may have never encountered in their career. You can end up with a lot of "back in my day..." nostalgia and lack of understanding or compassion to a particular issue when you lack that kind of perspective.

I prefer some diversity and range in discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 04:25 PM

144 posts, read 115,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
31 year old male never stopped working since I was 16. If you don't like being taken advantage of, find somewhere else to work. How does not working at all help your life at all?
Not working does not help my life. Being unemployed has destroyed my life and my career, because I have neither. It is not by choice. There are no jobs. You may not realize how difficult it is to get a job when you have no education, no skills, no work history. Every job I apply for, people want work history and references.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
Not working does not help my life. Being unemployed has destroyed my life and my career, because I have neither. It is not by choice. There are no jobs. You may not realize how difficult it is to get a job when you have no education, no skills, no work history. Every job I apply for, people want work history and references.
Whose problem is it if you have no education or skills? Honestly, why would someone hire you if you can't do anything. Go get some skills.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:08 PM

811 posts, read 625,066 times
Quote:
Like a fly drawn to a turd I'm fascinated by this. I have some questions if you don't mind. And if you're just trolling us I'm good with that as well and would settle for smartass answers.

(First: I don't believe no one will hire you for anything... unless you have a tattoo across your forehead that says "I want to kill you.")

How do you provide for yourself?
Education level?
Where did you grow up?
Where do you currently live?
What were your last few jobs and why aren't you doing them anymore?
Do you have a desire to grow in your knowledge and skill so that you can get a better job?
Are you religious?

And finally:

What the hell do you do all day?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 PM

901 posts, read 749,337 times
Quote:
^^^^This is the mentality of the "have nots". Every single person is in the drivers seat of their life, no one will hand you or give you anything.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:21 PM

144 posts, read 115,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Like a fly drawn to a turd I'm fascinated by this. I have some questions if you don't mind. And if you're just trolling us I'm good with that as well and would settle for smartass answers.

(First: I don't believe no one will hire you for anything... unless you have a tattoo across your forehead that says "I want to kill you.")

How do you provide for yourself?
Education level?
Where did you grow up?
Where do you currently live?
What were your last few jobs and why aren't you doing them anymore?
Do you have a desire to grow in your knowledge and skill so that you can get a better job?
Are you religious?

And finally:

What the hell do you do all day?
I do not provide for myself. I live with a parent.
I grew up in the suburbs of a major Midwestern city.
I currently live in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains of TN.

• 98 - stocking shelves - quit
  • 99 - unemployed
  • 00 - bus boy - quit
  • 01 - pre-press printing - laid off
  • 02 - unemployed
  • 03 - unemployed
  • 04 - unemployed
  • 05 - unemployed
  • 06 - unemployed
  • 07 - unemployed
  • 08 - unemployed
  • 09 - unemployed
  • 10 - unemployed
  • 11 - unemployed
  • 12 - unemployed
  • 13 - unemployed
  • 14 - unemployed
  • 15 - labor, major online warehouse - fired, job abandonment
  • 16 - labor, retail - major retailer went under
  • 17 - office, small online warehouse
You can fill in all of the unemployed years with random construction jobs (finish carpentry, flooring, deck building, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, drywall, paint, etc.) these were jobs where I rarely got paid.
I do want to grow my knowledge and skill.
I am not religious.
I spend free time browsing the internet for free education resources (computer programming, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering) or paint

Old 08-09-2017, 08:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
Quote:

• 99 - unemployed
  • 00 - bus boy - quit
  • 02 - unemployed
  • 03 - unemployed
  • 04 - unemployed
  • 05 - unemployed
  • 06 - unemployed
  • 07 - unemployed
  • 08 - unemployed
  • 09 - unemployed
  • 10 - unemployed
  • 11 - unemployed
  • 12 - unemployed
  • 13 - unemployed
  • 14 - unemployed
You can fill in all of the unemployed years with random construction jobs (finish carpentry, flooring, deck building, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, drywall, paint, etc.) these were jobs where I rarely got paid.
I am not religious.
I spend free time browsing the internet for free education resources (computer programming, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering) or paint
You've never googled "free job training Tennessee?"

Old 08-10-2017, 06:03 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,692,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
The vast majority of companies are dysfunctional in their own right. Yes, they still operate, and yes, they can still be profitable. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

But it also sheds light into why the standard tenure among most employees is between 2-5 years in the modern workforce. If dysfunction wasn't so rampant, and it was easy enough to fix the problems within, and there were an abundant opportunities to rise to something better within, people would have zero reason to leave their employer. People most often leave employers for better career opportunities, or to escape a poor environment and/or manager. There's no way for us to discern which ones post here.
Any time you have a group of people working together you have some level of dysfunction because everyone has their own agenda. It's important to realize that the "worker bees" also have their own agenda. It's just human nature. We all want to work towards something better. The problem is with those who want something better for nothing in return. This does happen in management but it also happens with employees. The goal between all people involved SHOULD be to figure out how to align everyone's agenda for the common good to make the company a success. People who do this realize that they can be successful where they are despite dysfunction and can help work that out of the company in time.

Rarely does someone just say I want the company to be successful because it means more opportunity for me to earn more. More success for a company means more business. More business means more jobs. More jobs means more advancement opportunity. More opportunity means more money. This in itself is a lot of the reason companies struggle and is one of the primary reasons that employees don't get promoted. They can't see past their own nose to spite their face because that scenario doesn't equal immediate gain for them. There is no stepping back to look at the bigger picture.

The reality behind why employees leave is often far beyond just being unhappy with the company itself. A lot of people in today's world spend what they make. They don't save, and they don't manage their financial situation. As soon as they get a raise, that money is spent. Because of that they need to make more. When they don't get promoted quickly enough they leave for something else. Their excuse might be that they don't like the company, but they don't like the company because they want more money to support their lifestyle.

To get that money they either have to work really hard and earn a promotion(this can mean waiting patiently for it to come because it doesn't happen overnight) or they have to leave. Since a lot of people don't choose to look at their own shortcomings (and this is for everyone from upper mgmt. to the worker bee) they choose to lay blame on someone else without ever taking a minute to reflect on their own.

All that said.... some may think I side with companies on everything. I don't. I just tend to realize that I do have a choice in what opportunity I am presented with and that I can control to some extent what that outcome will be for me.

Last edited by Nlambert; 08-10-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 06:11 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,692,865 times
Quote:

• 99 - unemployed
  • 00 - bus boy - quit
  • 02 - unemployed
  • 03 - unemployed
  • 04 - unemployed
  • 05 - unemployed
  • 06 - unemployed
  • 07 - unemployed
  • 08 - unemployed
  • 09 - unemployed
  • 10 - unemployed
  • 11 - unemployed
  • 12 - unemployed
  • 13 - unemployed
  • 14 - unemployed
I am not religious.

I'm going to address the elephant in the room with your post. I don't mean this to be offensive but hopefully eye opening.

Quote:
98 - stocking shelves - quit
99 - unemployed
00 - bus boy - quit
01 - pre-press printing - laid off
02 - unemployed
03 - unemployed
04 - unemployed
05 - unemployed
06 - unemployed
07 - unemployed
08 - unemployed
09 - unemployed
10 - unemployed
11 - unemployed
12 - unemployed
13 - unemployed
14 - unemployed
15 - labor, major online warehouse - fired, job abandonment
16 - labor, retail - major retailer went under
17 - office, small online warehouse

Over 50% of your job opportunities listed above were abandoned by you. One of those could have been turned into more opportunity with the right mentality. Jobs aren't mean to be fun. They're meant to support you through life.

I grew up in construction so I have a hard time believing you couldn't find a job in those fields that paid you. They may not pay very well in the beginning, but they do pay. If you spent your time bouncing between all of those different trades/jobs you never settled down long enough to learn the trade and increase your skill.

Instead of spending your time browsing the internet for the secret to success (Hint... you wont find it here) go out and do something. You cannot get into engineering or programming online. You need to enroll in classes and go to school. At the same time, you could search for an internship that would give you some real world experience with your decided trade. Our group takes 3-5 interns each summer while school is out. Our company takes hundreds. Typically if the interns are good workers we hire them when they get out of college.

My advice is to settle in somewhere. Someone will hire you, though with your track record it will likely be difficult. You need to stick with it and beat the streets until you find something. The internet isn't going to help you. You have to put a real physical effort into getting there.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:40 AM

6,597 posts, read 11,327,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Why not place the blame on both sides? It certainly can be that an individual is making poor decisions about their career choices, and who they decide to work for. But on the contrary, how can you really know what you're getting yourself into when you accept a job? The grass is always greener, right?

----snip----

I don't think ToLove's point is to blame the person in the mirror. Now, there's nothing wrong with the feeling of wanting to lay blame. It helps us cope. But it doesn't really do anything to solve the issue. In order to change one's predicament - there needs to be some viable action.

I see the point here is that to make a change, one has to look within themselves and figure out what actions they can take to change things in the future. And you are exactly right - the grass always APPEARS greener. There's only so much we, as individuals, have control over. So it's even more important to take time to put some thought into our actions and establish a plan. Look at the long run.

Which is something I don't see a lot on here. Most people are often reactive rather than being proactive. Or look at the short term gain without considering the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment