Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:08 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,479,577 times

Advertisements

It's really a matter of perspective.

Some people have worked for a few "good" companies in their lives, and don't understand the struggle of working for a poorly run company or a bad manager.

Some people see how poorly run a company is, or how bad their manager is, and realize how little influence they have on making positive changes, and they vent about it where they can because they are frustrated.

Some people work in poorly run companies/departments, and just accept it for what it is or choose to ignore it because they don't want to bother with the stress of it all. After all, there's not much they can do.

Some people work for good companies, but have never worked for a bad company, so they complain about it because they don't understand how good they have it.

Throughout my career, I've embraced a multitude of different perspectives depending on the circumstances I was in at the time. Some people are better at ignoring the problems and pushing onward. Some people like to brood and vent. Some people like to do both. At the end of the day, it's those who allow themselves to push forward that end up better off in my opinion.

Think of it this way. If nobody ever took issue with their company, then nobody would ever quit and move on to another job. Why would they if everything was so perfect?

Last edited by Left-handed; 08-08-2017 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:50 PM

144 posts, read 115,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
I would love to see how the stats break down in terms of people's vocations. Judging by all of the anger, suspicion, and bashing of employers it would appear that most who come here are disgruntled worker bees.

Based on posts, there seems to be very few CEO's, business owners, or successful entrepreneurs. (I guess that would make sense... they're busy running their business and prioritizing their time.) But there are tons of people who complain a lot and seem to have an "anti-authority agenda".

I tried to find another thread or survey on this but struck out. Any ideas?
35, male. Unemployed for 15 years.

Disgruntled worker bees? Maybe. Perhaps people view things differently, I believe people here do not have some "anti-authority agenda". They just don't like being taken advantage of.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,124,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
35, male. Unemployed for 15 years.

Disgruntled worker bees? Maybe. Perhaps people view things differently, I believe people here do not have some "anti-authority agenda". They just don't like being taken advantage of.
31 year old male never stopped working since I was 16. If you don't like being taken advantage of, find somewhere else to work. How does not working at all help your life at all?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:12 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,312,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post

Some people have worked for a few "good" companies in their lives, and don't understand the struggle of working for a poorly run company or a bad manager.

Some people see how poorly run a company is, or how bad their manager is, and realize how little influence they have on making positive changes, and they vent about it where they can because they are frustrated.

Some people work in poorly run companies/departments, and just accept it for what it is or choose to ignore it because they don't want to bother with the stress of it all. After all, there's not much they can do.

Some people work for good companies, but have never worked for a bad company, so they complain about it because they don't understand how good they have it.

Throughout my career, I've embraced a multitude of different perspectives depending on the circumstances I was in at the time. Some people are better at ignoring the problems and pushing onward. Some people like to brood and vent. Some people like to do both. At the end of the day, it's those who allow themselves to push forward that end up better off in my opinion.

Think of it this way. If nobody ever took issue with their company, then nobody would ever quit and move on to another job. Why would they if everything was so perfect?
This. I think we often get too stuck in our perspectives and forget about how things look from the other sides of the table. We're all human, and we act/react based on our own experiences. And because of that, we tend to paint our world with an extremely wide brush.

Senior IT executive in my mid-40's.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:21 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,073,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post

If you (not you specifically) constantly find yourself working for bad companies and/or managers, shouldn't you look into the mirror and start with yourself? This wide spread acceptance of what I call Truman Show Syndrome--where one feels as though he/she has no control over his/her life, is incredibly dangerous.

While select few find themselves in less than great circumstance because of external factors beyond their control, vast majority are in a bad spot because of their own poor decision making.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
If you (not you specifically) constantly find yourself working for bad companies and/or managers, shouldn't you look into the mirror and start with yourself? This wide spread acceptance of what I call Truman Show Syndrome--where one feels as though he/she has no control over his/her life, is incredibly dangerous.

While select few find themselves in less than great circumstance because of external factors beyond their control, vast majority are in a bad spot because of their own poor decision making.
Why not place the blame on both sides? It certainly can be that an individual is making poor decisions about their career choices, and who they decide to work for. But on the contrary, how can you really know what you're getting yourself into when you accept a job? The grass is always greener, right?

Think about it. You go into an interview with a company and most of them are going to paint you the most appealing picture as to why it's amazing to work there. Only in rare instances have I detected blatant warning flags during an interview process which led me to seek employment elsewhere. Otherwise, they're most likely going to tell you everything that you want to hear, because they're in a position where they need to fill that position. And if you're a quality interviewee, they're going to roll out the red carpet. They're not going to tell you that they've had 3 CEOs in the last two years, or that they plan on having massive layoffs next quarter that may or may not impact you, or that they are finalizing a major acquisition which may lead your future department in tatters.

Then you have sites like Glassdoor where you can read "authentic" reviews from those on the inside of a company. But let's face it. A large majority of the reviews on those sites are from A) disgruntled workers who've left, and B) HR shills who are paid to promote the company's image. As far as using it to make a decision on where to work, I'd argue that Glassdoor should have the least amount of sway in the decision making process.

The fact of the matter is that employment has become highly volatile. There is no longer stability and loyalty on either side. Mergers, acquisitions, hostile takeovers, layoffs, re-orgs and offshoring are the most common terms that best describe the modern day corporate culture. Companies routinely struggle with finding good managers and good employees, so often times you're going to be working with average to below average team members who you may eventually grow to loath or despise. And then you may find yourself here on this forum venting about it.

Of course, I certainly think it depends on the type of companies you work for that determine the experiences you will have. You're going to see a lot more of what I describe above in large F500 companies, because it's just the nature of the beast with working in large organizations. Smaller and mid-size companies may be a better fit for those looking for a little more stability, loyalty, and appreciation. The trade off will typically be less opportunity for growth and lower earning potential.

Essentially, the problem with finding a good employer is the lack of credible intel and transparency that is available to you prior to making a decision to work for them.

Last edited by Left-handed; 08-09-2017 at 08:25 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 10:23 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Here's my take.

You don't find as many positive threads in the work forum because those who enjoy their jobs, or who understand how things really work are too busy making those things work for them. Bad opinions spread like wildfire, good ones like molasses.

It's often easier for people to place blame on everyone but themselves and they seem to find comfort in that. Most aren't willing to do whatever is necessary to change their situation because it requires work on their part. Those who do eventually have nothing left to complain about and they don't.

I don't place the blame on employers not because there aren't bad ones, but because I can make the choice not to work for them. Sometimes there are good employers with bad policies and a few bad people. I can choose to decide how to make myself happy there and try to help institute change or assume nothing will ever change and leave. Or.... I can decide not to choose and just complain about the status quo. Either way, it's all still a choice. There could always be a "but" added to the end of a complaint if people were honest with themselves and exercise rational thought. "Company XYZ never gives me an opportunity..... BUT..... I never really push for one and haven't really done anything to stand out to management." "Company XYZ doesn't treat their employees well and they micro manage us....BUT.... we spend a lot of time browsing internet forums, or shopping online, etc..." "Company XYZ's manager is an idiot. He doesn't understand how the process works.....BUT..... we've never truly took the time to show him because he is usually tied up managing higher level priorities that ensure we have work to do."

Successful people don't wait for people to make their lives better. They figure out how to do it themselves. Rarely do they have time to complain because they realize that time is valuable and better spent furthering their careers.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,052,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I agree that most of the posters in this forum are the worker bees. But that makes sense because the CEO's don't have these kind of problems or need our advice. They are the boss and above all of this and probably would never think to look online in a forum for advice anyway. There are some management types and business owners on here and it is good to get their perspective.

I just assume CEOs and such have better things to do with their time. LOL

Old 08-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Here's my take.

You don't find as many positive threads in the work forum because those who enjoy their jobs, or who understand how things really work are too busy making those things work for them. Bad opinions spread like wildfire, good ones like molasses.

It's often easier for people to place blame on everyone but themselves and they seem to find comfort in that. Most aren't willing to do whatever is necessary to change their situation because it requires work on their part. Those who do eventually have nothing left to complain about and they don't.

I don't place the blame on employers not because there aren't bad ones, but because I can make the choice not to work for them. Sometimes there are good employers with bad policies and a few bad people. I can choose to decide how to make myself happy there and try to help institute change or assume nothing will ever change and leave. Or.... I can decide not to choose and just complain about the status quo. Either way, it's all still a choice. There could always be a "but" added to the end of a complaint if people were honest with themselves and exercise rational thought. "Company XYZ never gives me an opportunity..... BUT..... I never really push for one and haven't really done anything to stand out to management." "Company XYZ doesn't treat their employees well and they micro manage us....BUT.... we spend a lot of time browsing internet forums, or shopping online, etc..." "Company XYZ's manager is an idiot. He doesn't understand how the process works.....BUT..... we've never truly took the time to show him because he is usually tied up managing higher level priorities that ensure we have work to do."

Successful people don't wait for people to make their lives better. They figure out how to do it themselves. Rarely do they have time to complain because they realize that time is valuable and better spent furthering their careers.
The vast majority of companies are dysfunctional in their own right. Yes, they still operate, and yes, they can still be profitable. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

But it also sheds light into why the standard tenure among most employees is between 2-5 years in the modern workforce. If dysfunction wasn't so rampant, and it was easy enough to fix the problems within, and there were an abundant opportunities to rise to something better within, people would have zero reason to leave their employer. People most often leave employers for better career opportunities, or to escape a poor environment and/or manager. There's no way for us to discern which ones post here.

Last edited by Left-handed; 08-09-2017 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 12:41 PM

1,104 posts, read 921,321 times
I like CD because whatever people say, it's superior to most places on the internet for general work discussion. The userbase here is older, more experienced, generally well-to-do and people have perspective you wouldn't find most other places. That's until someone mentions "Trump" and then IQ's are suddenly divided by 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment