Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:00 PM

30,420 posts, read 52,052,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
I do not provide for myself. I live with a parent.
I'm of the mindset "if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, more power to you" - so totally not judging, or even giving specific advice (unless you want it). But I see THIS as the main problem! I know from experience, if you don't HAVE to provide for yourself, it's very easy to get stuck in a cycle of un/under-employment. My parents supported me through college and grad school, and it wasn't until they finally cut me off that I learned about REAL work. Kinda wish they'd cut me off sooner, as much as I appreciate my debt-free degrees... because even when I thought I was working, it was nothing compared to what I have to do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 08:00 AM

6,403 posts, read 4,130,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm of the mindset "if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, more power to you" - so totally not judging, or even giving specific advice (unless you want it). But I see THIS as the main problem! I know from experience, if you don't HAVE to provide for yourself, it's very easy to get stuck in a cycle of un/under-employment. My parents supported me through college and grad school, and it wasn't until they finally cut me off that I learned about REAL work. Kinda wish they'd cut me off sooner, as much as I appreciate my debt-free degrees... because even when I thought I was working, it was nothing compared to what I have to do now.
I don't think parents supporting their children through school and during hard times is the problem. I know plenty of people who was supported by parents and turned out just fine. In fact, in my circle of friends I'm the oddball for graduating with student loan debt. Everyone else had their colleges all paid for by their parents. With the exception of one, everyone else is doing just fine pursuing their career.

I think it has much to do with being taught work ethics at a young age. I had my first job when I was 16. Never stopped working. Worked part time through college. When I finished college, I moved back home just to save money while I worked.

True story, back in my 20s my then girlfriend and I attended a Halloween party. The hosts were a guy, his girlfriend, and his parents. At one point, I asked the mom if she was OK with her son and his girlfriend living with them still. She said she and her husband saw no problem with that. I know what you're thinking. The guy was unemployed. Nope. The guy was an accountant. His girlfriend was a secretary. What were they doing in his parents house? His office was 5 minutes away, and they we're saving up to buy a house.

As long as you have the proper work ethics instilled in you, there's no reason why you couldn't live with your folks, especially if they want you there.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,548,754 times
There is a difference between living with family while one is actively saving versus being a professional mooch. What happens if the parents die?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:27 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,481,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What happens if the parents die?
Inheritance? SSI? There are lots of people out there that are like this. There is usually some sort of mental or physical disability/handicap the precludes them from entering the workforce and being a productive member of society.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I don't think parents supporting their children through school and during hard times is the problem. I know plenty of people who was supported by parents and turned out just fine. In fact, in my circle of friends I'm the oddball for graduating with student loan debt. Everyone else had their colleges all paid for by their parents. With the exception of one, everyone else is doing just fine pursuing their career.
I didn't say it was a problem to EVER be supported by parents, as I too turned out just fine in the end - but I'm saying that you don't find true motivation (to work) until you're independent, since it's easy to leave a job when you know the rent/mortgage is still paid. Once you have no safety net, you learn how important a job and steady paycheck is! And while I'm grateful my parents helped me through college and grad school, I didn't gain a strong work ethic until they stopped supporting me.

The unemployed poster, on the other hand, is well past the age of most students/dependents... so if he really wanted to become employed and independent, he'd have to cut those strings first imo. And once he had to pay his own way, I'm sure he would find SOME job somewhere, even if it's just part-time McDonald's. But hey, if he's okay with the status quo, who are we to judge?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
There is a difference between living with family while one is actively saving versus being a professional mooch. What happens if the parents die?
I was trying to be more diplomatic about it, but yeah - this is basically what I meant. Lots of people around here live with parents while saving for a house, but that's a whole different story!

As for what happens when the parents die, if you're the only child, at least you'd likely inherit the house and other assets. That's not always the case, though, which is why it's better to be financially independent first.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:48 PM

144 posts, read 115,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
So go to college. The average tuition and fee amount for a TN community college is $3,700, annual poll grant amount, which you should be able to max out, is $5,500. It costs you $1,800 a year NOT to go to college. Plus you might qualify for workstudy, which is a campus job enabling you to earn even more.

What is preventing you from doing this? PM me if you like.
The primary factor is money. I have not applied recently, but after HS, I was denied Pell grant multiple times.

Quote:
Exactly. TN has cheap schools and free training available.
I would love to know where you get your info. If you do a simple google search, the costs start to add up.. There is tuition, books fees, most classes have prerequisites. My research indicates 20,000 if not closer to 40,000
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Tuition, Costs and Financial Aid - CollegeData College Profile

Bills have to be paid and I have no money. Did you know, to get assistance here, you have to qualify for SNAP (food stamps). Did you know, if you have a bank account with more than 2250, you do not qualify?
https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I do want advice, its the reason I come here, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo1980 View Post
The unemployed poster, on the other hand, is well past the age of most students/dependents... so if he really wanted to become employed and independent, he'd have to cut those strings first imo. And once he had to pay his own way, I'm sure he would find SOME job somewhere, even if it's just part-time McDonald's. But hey, if he's okay with the status quo, who are we to judge?
How does one pay 1200 (or even 600) rent when part time min wage barely brings 450

Old 08-11-2017, 05:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,087,051 times
Quote:
The primary factor is money. I have not applied recently, but after HS, I was denied Pell grant multiple times.
You need to talk to a financial aid staffer at a nearby college. They should be able to help you. As long as you have jumped through the right hoops and provide the proper info, Pell is pretty much a given. It is also a federal thing, so state food stamp issues don't apply.

Make sure you file a tax return, even though you have little or no income. That is critical for the pell award.

Quote:
I would love to know where you get your info. If you do a simple google search, the costs start to add up.. There is tuition, books fees, most classes have prerequisites. My research indicates 20,000 if not closer to 40,000
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Tuition, Costs and Financial Aid - CollegeData College Profile
I pulled average data for tuition/fees for TN community colleges. Less than the pell award. The remainder can cover books and a bus pass. The CC route is how you deal with things like prerequisites. For you all this is essentially FREE!

Quote:
Bills have to be paid and I have no money. Did you know, to get assistance here, you have to qualify for SNAP (food stamps). Did you know, if you have a bank account with more than 2250, you do not qualify?
https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility
Do you have no money, or do you have more than $2250 in the bank? I admit that those are harsh rules, but you need to learn to work the system.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,130,421 times
Quote:

How does one pay 1200 (or even 600) rent when part time min wage barely brings 450
That's what a 2nd income is for. This is why partnering up with someone is always better than remaining single.

I'll tell you this. Back when I was single, I made plenty of money. Heck, I even made it to the 6 figures back then. And yet, in the end I had absolutely nothing to show for it. I became a much better person after I found a life partner. All of a sudden, relatively the same salary as before brought in a house, savings, vacations, etc. In other words, stuff and experiences that actually meant something in my life.

Now, with minimum wage, you have to live on rice and beans. You have to do whatever it takes to bring up your income as well as support each other into a better life situation. This means no smoking, no making babies (at least for a while), no wasting what little you earned on weed, no eating out, and certainly no walking out of your job because you felt like it.

Your first step right now is to get a job, any job. Work yourself to death with that job. You're living at home for free now, so use this time to (1) save and (2) find a life partner. Again, no breeding. Let me repeat, no breeding. A baby will not somehow magically make your life better. I don't know why so many poor people breed kids they can't support. Have I mentioned no breeding?

Remember this. You're going to face tough times. Either you have tough times now and save like you've never saved before or you're going to have tough times in the future when you end up under a bridge.

Now, get out there and get to work!

Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 PM

1,640 posts, read 798,501 times
Quote:

Why can't you just get student loans? Maybe I missed it, but if you don't qualify for grants you should at least be able to get loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment