Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 05:07 PM

73 posts, read 108,980 times

Advertisements

But I just ordered a birth certificate from the state of Ohio. They said to come pick it up by 4 today (but I don't live in Ohio) and if I don't they'll send it out within the next day by mail. However I'm confused. It says on the website that it takes 3 dreadful weeks to come in the mail but in the email that they sent me that it takes 1 business day to be sent out.

Are they talking about a temporary birth certificate? Is there a such thing as a temporary birth certificate or does that only happen with drivers licenses?

Does this mean I have wait for almost a month before I can apply for a new job? Are there jobs that dont require two forms of I.D.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 05:18 PM

17,301 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Have your SSN card? That's usually an acceptable 2nd document as well.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:24 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
The 3 weeks is probably if you were to order a certified copy of your BC through the website or order form, time from order to processing to receipt in the mail.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
You don't have a drivers license and a state I.D. or a S.S. Card? Is this your first job? Most jobs require two forms of I.D.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:38 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
You don't have a drivers license and a state I.D. or a S.S. Card? Is this your first job? Most jobs require two forms of I.D.
Grabbed the below from IRS.gov, but does not seem to have any branding or formatting indicating "official." Therefore, YMMV.

This is what I have been asked to produce for several new jobs since c. 2010, and even (on rare occasion) in even more detail to specific clients before being allowed onsite...the latter only happening a few times in twenty years. Purpose being to exclude illegal aliens from employment opportunities, thus they'll self-deport... presumably. "I wish" every job in America required that, and more, checked off against a national database (if existed, you'd only have to prove that "you are you," via say fingerprints, DNA, or iris scans. All three should be taken from children at-birth IMO, making birth certificate or obtaining other docs a true dawdle from then on in.

Identity Verification Requirements
Applicants must provide a document, or a combination of documents, listed in the chart below.
One document must prove citizenship; the other must prove identity. Copies will not be accepted,
only originals and certified.

Exception: If the only document available to prove citizenship is listed in E, then two additional
documents must be provided to prove identity and employment eligibility. The following
example lists the three possible combinations of documents that are required:

Examples:

Example #1: A + B or C or D
Example #2: B + C
Example #3: C + D + E

A. Proof of Citizenship and Identity and Employment Eligibility

* U.S. Passport (can not accept an expired Passport)

B. Proof of Citizenship and Employment Eligibility

*Original or certified copy of a birth certificate (from the Bureau of Vital Statistics not hospital
certificate), if born in U.S. or U.S. Territory. (Photo copies are not accepted)
*Certification of Birth Abroad FS-545 or DS-1350
*U.S. Citizen Identification Card I-197
*Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the U.S. I-179

C. Proof of Identity only

*Valid State Driver’s License
*Valid State ID

D. Proof of Employment Eligibility only

*U.S. Social Security Card

E. Proof of Citizenship only.

*Citizenship Certificate
*Naturalization Certificate
*State Department Form 240
Failure to provide this proof of U.S. Citizenship will result in your application being placed in
suspense, pending receipt of acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,357 times
I got all of my stuff stollen and I have an interview in the morning they took my social sicurity card my birth certificate and my license and my bank cards literally everything so how the hell am I going to nail this job in the morning please help me with some advice

Old 07-08-2019, 04:30 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Ask the employer to be patient while you re-acquire your identity stuff. You can get expedited replacement from DMV, county records, etc. if you look for it.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:38 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Always keep multiple identity documents in a safe location in your home. If you lose some of your ID documents, you have others that can be a backup.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:13 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brijackson15 View Post
I got all of my stuff stollen and I have an interview in the morning they took my social sicurity card my birth certificate and my license and my bank cards literally everything so how the hell am I going to nail this job in the morning please help me with some advice
You explain the situation. Bring a police report if necessary. There's nothing else you can do.
How the potential employer proceeds is really out of your control.

You then need to replace all of your documents - basically follow the process after an ID theft and file all the necessary paperwork, etc. Sorry this happened to you - but you potentially have bigger issues at this point than having your job interview delayed.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:48 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brijackson15 View Post
Most jobs don't (nor should) require ID at time of interview. If they do want to see something a brief and clear explanation of your predicament and pursuit of replacement documents should suffice.
For the I-9 form ID documents or receipt of documents is only required after hire and legally the employee has 3 days to provide. If receipt of documents provided then have 90 days to provide the actual documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment