Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 06:06 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,520,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highschoolkid9813 View Post
nurse practitioners can open their own practice right? Not get bossed around
I don't know about that but a PA can. my college room mate became a PA and opened a practice doing just paps smears, rx's for birth control, all the stuff except deliveries. This is the way the insurance companies wil be going, less need for doctors exept under emergiencies.

We need nurses. Get a BSN. I know nurses that work for law firms, they can work from home etc.

Or one can go into med equipment/RX sales. Or work inside the med equip/rx companies. Or work in a specilist office, not all doctros are jerks.

Sure you might have to start in a hospital setting, but can move out affter a few years experience.

Don't blame you, wouldn't want to dedicate 11 years of my life to be a doctor. Hubs went to dental school, graduated and never practiced a day in his life. Don't cry for him, dentists make a fraction of what he does with out sticking his hands in patients mouths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 06:07 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
Depends on grades but if I had to do it again I’d go for a doctor or pa in the emergency dept. they work 3 12 hour shifts a week and get paid well to do it.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:12 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Geriatrics. By 2050 the elderly population will more than double.

If you don't want to spend a decade in school, you could pursue a career in healthcare management. I personally know a ton of people who do that here (Nashville is a hub for that industry), and it is VERY well paying.

https://healthcarecouncil.com/nashvi...care-industry/

If you have a technical bent, healthcare IT is huge:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/f...-in-health-it/

Healthcare IT Market Size & Share Growth | Industry Report, 2020

"Associated benefits such as operational cost reduction, minimizing errors in a medical facility and increased successful outcomes are expected to propel healthcare IT industry growth. In addition, favorable government initiatives pertaining to the development of healthcare infrastructure and incorporation of information technology in existing establishments are expected to fuel industry growth over the forecast period.

Furthermore, the introduction of cloud computing and interoperable systems for identification and detection of infectious diseases and tracking incidence and prevalence rates of chronic diseases will serve as a positive growth-rendering factor for this industry. This will encourage governments for increasing investments related to the adoption of these technologies."

Not all of the answers here are informed or helpful. Not every job in healthcare is hands-on with patients, and there's nothing wrong with knowing what you DON'T want to do.

Spend a lot of time researching the health care industry and the different sides of it. I think you're smart to consider the longevity of an industry.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:42 AM

806 posts, read 877,785 times
Nurse . Specialize in a particular area . Peads , surgical , etc. My niece is an XRay Tech . Good money and plenty of jobs around here . Again , you can specialize in that field as well .

Old 11-08-2017, 09:48 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Any profession involving geriatric specialization will be booming in coming years as boomers retire (pun intended), from direct care nursing, medicine, therapy to business oriented senior housing management.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:16 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Don't forget about healthcare administration! Most of these posts are focused on jobs that require giving actual care to patients, but there are many jobs where you work in an office for a hospital, doctor's office or medical group.

HIM Careers - Health Information 101

Old 11-08-2017, 11:20 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,947,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I
Every workplace has nice people and a@@holes.

Instead, you should be looking at what functions those people perform and whether you want to do that.
Precisely right.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
So in a nutshell, you want a stable, high paying job and aren't willing to do the work to get one. Let me know how that works out for you!
This is a little on the blunt side, but makes a very good point.

All these young people are looking for these careers that pay well that have a lot of stability.

I have many years of working experience, and your 'stability' will be determined by how good of a job you do.

If a care center employs 8 nurses and that center starts having revenue problems, who do you think gets laid off? The 3-4 poorest performing nurses.

It's no different if you're an accountant, mechanical engineer, or editor.

And what do you think is going to be a big factor for a lot of people in whether they perform well at that job? Whether or not you actually want to do the job. Or do you have to force yourself through 2000+ hours a year by sheer willpower? Not good...

There are extremes. Getting a job as a mail carrier perhaps might not be the best idea, and I know friends who have happened upon easy jobs that pay well. But, in general, your performance determines your salary and job security, not your degree.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:16 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,947,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This is a little on the blunt side, but makes a very good point.

All these young people are looking for these careers that pay well that have a lot of stability.

I have many years of working experience, and your 'stability' will be determined by how good of a job you do.
... in general, your performance determines your salary and job security, not your degree.
The nature of the workplace in the United States has changed over the past few decades (and I entered the workforce in 1965, so I've also seen a lot in my lifetime).

Security doesn't mean finding a job at a place or in a field where you're "guaranteed" a job for life. And what's "secure" today isn't necessarily going to be secure tomorrow.

Case in point: I went back for a Master's in Computer Science back in the early 1980s. Then, having a Master's in CS or EE was the key to career success and given the growth of high tech, we all believed (and were told) that we were set for life.

Today, you don't really need an MS to advance in your career - and there's no guarantee you're not going to be laid off, or that whatever your specialities are, they're still going to be hot in five years. During my career, I was laid off twice from software-related jobs - the whole company branch was shut down and they gave everyone a severance package. The place I just left was bought out by another company on the East coast and they're eliminating a lot of positions as redundant, and outsourcing. Plus, a good third of the engineers in IT at that company are from overseas working on green cards (they're cheaper than natives, and easier to get rid of).

So what's "security" today? You need to keep on top of trends in your chosen field for your whole career, and not rest on your laurels. You need to be a constant life-long learner. You need to always have an up to date resume, and know what's out there in the way of employment in your field. And you need to be flexible: if your "specialties" are going out of favor, you need to reinvent yourself. Saying "this is what I've done in the past and I'm really good at it" isn't enough today. This is not only true in my first career, software engineering, but is also true in my second career, clinical counseling where things like virtual therapy, avatar therapy, life coaching, and telecounseling are growing in popularity and starting to appear on some counseling job listings.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:34 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
A friend of mine is a Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA). Less school than an MD or DO, and she's making damn near $200K a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment